Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH: Script jams Cygwin to 100% CPU - Post 302455112 by jim mcnamara on Monday 20th of September 2010 09:21:51 PM
Old 09-20-2010
each $( exiv2 ) call creates a child process (exec) which is very expensive (it creates a process, opens and reads the executable, opens the input file, etc.)

You have 8 per 'line'. You are probably creating 10K+ child processes which is a huge amount of cpu overhead and still have done nothing toward getting your result. One exiv2 call can print everything to a file in one call; you can then use process substitution to get all of the data into one variable that you can parse.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use cygwin to run bash script

Hi, all, I try to run a quite simple bash script mytest.sh in cygwin, it's content is: #!/bin/bash echo "It is my first bash shell" there are three lines in the script. The second line is blank line. When I run it use command: bash c:/mytest.sh, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jenny.palmy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with bash script - Need to get CPU usage as a percentage

I'm writing a bash script to log some selections from a sensors output (core temp, mb temp, etc.) and I would also like to have the current cpu usage as a percentage. I have no idea how to go about getting it in a form that a bash script can use. For example, I would simply look in the output of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to make bash [or another shell] use all CPU cores to execute a single script?

I wrote a very simple script that matches combinations of alphabetic characters (1-5). I want to use it to test CPU speeds of different hardware/platforms. The problem is that on multi-core/processor systems, only one CPU is being utilized to execute the script. Is there a way to change that?... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph0enix
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin bash script and read command

Hello everyone, I am struggling a bit with a batch script that I need to run in cygwin. I work in winXP and I had to write some awk scripts to do some file manipulation, and now I would like to automate the process by just running a batch file so that my colleagues can use it easily. Now, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teroc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU assignment bash script

Hi guys, I'm basically looking for some help with a bash script I've written. It's purpose is to assign process to individual CPU cores once that process hits 15% CPU usage or more. If it drops below 15%, it's unassigned again (using taskset). My problem is that I can't think of a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcky
2 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

run cygwin bash script from notepad++

I'm using Notepad++ to edit my BASH scripts and using CYGWIN to run them from Windows7. In Notepad++ there is a 'Run' capability. How do I get this to run my scripts directly without having to enter the script name from the Cygwin command line? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: millsy5
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin bash script to unmount and mount an XP partition

As stated, I am looking into keeping my backup drive unmounted in normal windows use. Partly this is to address threats like cryptolocker. Since one of my backup drives is an internal drive, it will not likely afford any protection from such a threat. I am thinking of adding code to my rsync script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - cygwin (powershell?) pull from GitHub API Parse JSON

All, Have a weird issue where i need to generate a report from GitHub monthly detailing user accounts and the last time they logged in. I'm using a windows box to do this (work issued) and would like to know if anyone has any experience scripting for GitAPI using windows / cygwin / powershell?... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChocoTaco
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script (tar + md) on Cygwin

Hi everybody, First, I'm sorry for my bad english! I have the following situation: I have a Windows 2012 R2 with Cygwin installed. The Windows Server is used as a backup Server with Dell AppAssure installed. At the moment, AppAssure saves Backup Targets to a repository on his D. The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fibra3000
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using BATCH to call a BASH script on CygWin

I am trying to use a batch file to automatically execute a bash script with no luck this far. The batch script looks like this: C:\Cygwin64\bin\bash test.sh I have also tried this: C:\Cygwin64\bin\bash "C:\Cygwin64\bin\test.sh" Needless to say that the windows box has Cygwin... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
7 Replies
Tcl_DetachPids(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DetachPids(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DetachPids, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs, Tcl_WaitPid - manage child processes in background SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DetachPids(numPids, pidPtr) Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs() Tcl_Pid Tcl_WaitPid(pid, statusPtr, options) ARGUMENTS
int numPids (in) Number of process ids contained in the array pointed to by pidPtr. int *pidPtr (in) Address of array containing numPids process ids. Tcl_Pid pid (in) The id of the process (pipe) to wait for. int *statusPtr (out) The result of waiting on a process (pipe). Either 0 or ECHILD. int options (in) The options controlling the wait. WNOHANG specifies not to wait when checking the process. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DetachPids and Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs provide a mechanism for managing subprocesses that are running in background. These procedures are needed because the parent of a process must eventually invoke the waitpid kernel call (or one of a few other similar kernel calls) to wait for the child to exit. Until the parent waits for the child, the child's state cannot be completely reclaimed by the system. If a parent continually creates children and doesn't wait on them, the system's process table will eventually overflow, even if all the children have exited. Tcl_DetachPids may be called to ask Tcl to take responsibility for one or more processes whose process ids are contained in the pidPtr array passed as argument. The caller presumably has started these processes running in background and does not want to have to deal with them again. Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs invokes the waitpid kernel call on each of the background processes so that its state can be cleaned up if it has exited. If the process has not exited yet, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs does not wait for it to exit; it will check again the next time it is invoked. Tcl automatically calls Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs each time the exec command is executed, so in most cases it is not necessary for any code outside of Tcl to invoke Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs. However, if you call Tcl_DetachPids in situations where the exec command may never get executed, you may wish to call Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs from time to time so that background processes can be cleaned up. Tcl_WaitPid is a thin wrapper around the facilities provided by the operating system to wait on the end of a spawned process and to check a whether spawned process is still running. It is used by Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs and the channel system to portably access the operating sys- tem. KEYWORDS
background, child, detach, process, wait Tcl Tcl_DetachPids(3)