Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a new file based on existing file Post 302454886 by Pratik4891 on Monday 20th of September 2010 07:29:10 AM
Old 09-20-2010
Hi ,

thanks for your reply but somehow my req is different .

suppose a file structure is like

12 123 432 5564 567
13 134 445 8845 653
-- ---- --- ----- ----
and so on

now the o/p file will be

12 555 666 5564 567
13 555 666 8845 653
-- ---- --- ----- ----
and so on

here 2nd and 3rd column value i/p has been done by user ,rest columns remain same
Please let me know how its possible

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to delete a file based on existing file in a directory

hi i am having four files in a directory.like 1)sampleRej 2)exampleRej 3)samplemain 4)examplemain my requirement is i have to search for the rejected files (sampleRej,exampleRej) in a directory.if these files in that directory then i have to delete the main files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a csv file based on Existing file

Hi I am Newbie to Unix.Appreciate Help from forum user would loada b.Csv File(Below example) in /data/m/ directory.Program need to read the b.csc to extract certain column and create a new file /data/d/ directory as csv file with new name. User File Format 1232,samshouston,12345... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skywayterrace
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating/ammending Name Column in existing .txt file

With the help of this forum, I have a script with the following output: chr7 27104483 27105154 chr7 27106872 27110789 chr7 27111956 27112830 chr7 27114388 27125180 chr7 27126966 27131260 chr7 27135440 27137796 which was created by the following script: awk '1 == NR || $NF >= 1000 {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: awknerd
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating file from an existing file using CUT, is it the best option?

Dear All, I have a requirement in which i have to load a file placed in FTP location onto my database. The process i'll follow is as below: 1) Get the files using FTP. 2) Create the desired load files as i have to load only 19 fields out of the 104 available in the file. The fields i require... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishekakaomi
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate a file from existing file based on some rule

Hi guys, i have a file in below format.let me explain first what i am trying to do . i am making a file from this file , will rearrange these columns, then i will run several command(start/stop mentioned in this file) on unix environment. my requirements : 1. i have 27 servers , on each server... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakiniimt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in creating a file in required format form another existing file

I have a text file with contents like this: a,b,c, d~e,f,g,h~i,j ,k,l,m~n,o,p,q~ I need to convert this file into this format unix shell script commands: a,b,c,d~ e,f,g,h~ i,j,k,l,m~ n,o,p,q~ as you may have noticed, I need to retain the ~ signs at the end. Any help is greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha1238
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating the script for updating or replacing the existing http.conf file

Hi I need some help with a task, i am an absolute newbie to any form of shell scripting and request guidance. I have been building a proxy server using the apache mod proxy currently my solution is working , but i need to automate the process , suppose if any changes need to be made on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satej
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create file and file content based existing information?

Hi Gurus, I am SQL developer and new unix user. I need to create some file and file content based on information in two files. I have one file contains basic information below file1 and another exception file file2. the rule is if "zone' and "cd" in file1 exists in file2, then file name is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torhong
13 Replies
TabularDisplay(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       TabularDisplay(3pm)

NAME
Text::TabularDisplay - Display text in formatted table output SYNOPSIS
use Text::TabularDisplay; my $table = Text::TabularDisplay->new(@columns); $table->add(@row) while (@row = $sth->fetchrow); print $table->render; +----+--------------+ | id | name | +----+--------------+ | 1 | Tom | | 2 | Dick | | 3 | Barry | | | (aka Bazza) | | 4 | Harry | +----+--------------+ DESCRIPTION
Text::TabularDisplay simplifies displaying textual data in a table. The output is identical to the columnar display of query results in the mysql text monitor. For example, this data: 1, "Tom Jones", "(666) 555-1212" 2, "Barnaby Jones", "(666) 555-1213" 3, "Bridget Jones", "(666) 555-1214" Used like so: my $t = Text::TabularDisplay->new(qw(id name phone)); $t->add(1, "Tom Jones", "(666) 555-1212"); $t->add(2, "Barnaby Jones", "(666) 555-1213"); $t->add(3, "Bridget Jones", "(666) 555-1214"); print $t->render; Produces: +----+---------------+----------------+ | id | name | phone | +----+---------------+----------------+ | 1 | Tom Jones | (666) 555-1212 | | 2 | Barnaby Jones | (666) 555-1213 | | 3 | Bridget Jones | (666) 555-1214 | +----+---------------+----------------+ METHODS
Text::TabularDisplay has four primary methods: new(), columns(), add(), and render(). new() creates a new Text::TabularDisplay instance; columns() sets the column headers in the output table; add() adds data to the instance; and render() returns a formatted string representation of the instance. There are also a few auxiliary convenience methods: clone(), items(), reset(), populate(), and paginate(). new A Text::TabularDisplay instance can be created with column names passed as constructor args, so these two calls produce similar objects: my $t1 = Text::TabularDisplay->new; $t1->columns(qw< one two >); my $t2 = Text::TabularDisplay->new(qw< one two >); Calling new() on a Text::TabularDisplay instance returns a clone of the object. See "clone" in Text::TabularDisplay. columns Gets or sets the column names for an instance. This method is called automatically by the constructor with any parameters that are passed to the constructor (if any are passed). When called in scalar context, columns() returns the number of columns in the instance, rather than the columns themselves. In list context, copies of the columns names are returned; the names of the columns cannot be modified this way. add Takes a list of items and appends it to the list of items to be displayed. add() can also take a reference to an array, so that large arrays don't need to be copied. As elements are processed, add() maintains the width of each column so that the resulting table has the correct dimensions. add() returns $self, so that calls to add() can be chained: $t->add(@one)->add(@two)->add(@three); render render() does most of the actual work. It returns a string containing the data added via add(), formatted as a table, with a header containing the column names. render() does not change the state of the object; it can be called multiple times, with identical output (including identical running time: the output of render is not cached). If there are no columns defined, then the output table does not contains a row of column names. Compare these two sequences: my $t = Text::TabularDisplay->new; $t->add(qw< 1 2 3 4 >); $t->add(qw< 5 6 7 8 >); print $t->render; $t->columns(qw< one two three four >); print $t->render; # Example 1 output +---+---+---+---+ | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | +---+---+---+---+ # Example 2 output +-----+-----+-------+------+ | one | two | three | four | +-----+-----+-------+------+ | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | +-----+-----+-------+------+ render() takes optional $start and $end arguments; these indicate the start and end indexes for the data to be rendered. This can be used for paging and the like: $t->add(1, 2, 3)->add(4, 5, 6)->add(7, 8, 9)->add(10, 11, 12); print $t->render(0, 1), " "; print $t->render(2, 3), " "; Produces: +-------+--------+-------+ | First | Second | Third | +-------+--------+-------+ | 1 | 2 | 3 | | 4 | 5 | 6 | +-------+--------+-------+ +-------+--------+-------+ | First | Second | Third | +-------+--------+-------+ | 7 | 8 | 9 | | 10 | 11 | 12 | +-------+--------+-------+ As an aside, note the chaining of calls to add(). The elements in the table are padded such that there is the same number of items in each row, including the header. Thus: $t->columns(qw< One Two >); print $t->render; +-----+-----+----+ | One | Two | | +-----+-----+----+ | 1 | 2 | 3 | | 4 | 5 | 6 | | 7 | 8 | 9 | | 10 | 11 | 12 | +-----+-----+----+ And: $t->columns(qw< One Two Three Four>); print $t->render; +-----+-----+-------+------+ | One | Two | Three | Four | +-----+-----+-------+------+ | 1 | 2 | 3 | | | 4 | 5 | 6 | | | 7 | 8 | 9 | | | 10 | 11 | 12 | | +-----+-----+-------+------+ OTHER METHODS
clone() The clone() method returns an identical copy of a Text::TabularDisplay instance, completely separate from the cloned instance. items() The items() method returns the number of elements currently stored in the data structure: printf "There are %d elements in $t. ", $t->items; reset() Reset deletes the data from the instance, including columns. If passed arguments, it passes them to columns(), just like new(). populate() populate() as a special case of add(); populate() expects a reference to an array of references to arrays, such as returned by DBI's selectall_arrayref method: $sql = "SELECT " . join(", ", @c) . " FROM mytable"; $t->columns(@c); $t->populate($dbh->selectall_arrayref($sql)); This is for convenience only; the implementation maps this to multiple calls to add(). NOTES
/ ISSUES Text::TabularDisplay assumes it is handling strings, and does stringy things with the data, like length() and sprintf(). Non-character data can be passed in, of course, but will be treated as strings; this may have ramifications for objects that implement overloading. The biggest issue, though, is that this module duplicates a some of the functionality of Data::ShowTable. Of course, Data::ShowTable is a large, complex monolithic tool that does a lot of things, while Text::TabularDisplay is small and fast. AUTHOR
darren chamberlain <darren@cpan.org> CREDITS
The following people have contributed patches, suggestions, tests, feedback, or good karma: David N. Blank-Edelman Eric Cholet Ken Youens-Clark Michael Fowler Paul Cameron Prakash Kailasa Slaven Rezic Harlan Lieberman-Berg Patrick Kuijvenhoven VERSION
This documentation describes "Text::TabularDisplay" version 1.33. perl v5.14.2 2012-07-05 TabularDisplay(3pm)