Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Cannot run command line scripts in perl or gawk Post 302454749 by 10000springs on Monday 20th of September 2010 02:51:22 PM
Old 09-20-2010
Tyler_Durden - Thanks for the speedy reply. I have modified the script to use the double quotes and to escape the other double quotes.

The script does work now! Awesome! Smilie

I did have a bit of a start when I ran it the first time and got an array that was only 4 rows long by tons of columns. Then I remembered that the "4" in the script referenced the number of rows in the input file so I changed that to 65537 so it would match my input file and voila!

I have to do some more studying on all the switches and get more familiar with perl on the command line. It is a lot like awk or sed. Very useful.

I am going to mess with the gawk script to see if it needs a bit of a tweak too.

Thanks a million - 10000Springs(BC)

---------- Post updated at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:09 AM ----------

Well I worked with this a bit last night to get the gawk script running. I was able to make it work but only if I left out the "sort".

From reading a bit of documentation it appears that there is no sort in gawk, it uses asort instead. Even knowing this I haven't been able to get it to fly yet and running without sorting the output gives totally unusable results.

I tried:
gawk script - gawk "NR<5 {a[$2]=$0;next} {a[$2]=a[$2] FS $NF}END {for (i in a) print a[i]|\"sort -n\"}" inputfilename

so that I have replaced the quotes with double-quotes and escaped the quotes around the 'sort -n' part after the pipe. This did not work.

The only way I could execute with on error was to leave the sort after the pipe out of the script.

I will be looking deeper into the asort function in gawk over the next day or two and will post a fix if I find one.

Does anyone have any tips for an alternate method of preserving the sort order of an input in a gawk script?

Thanks for looking. --10000Springs(BC)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

what's the debug command for perl scripts

Hi, Can you please let me know if there's any debug command for perl scripts like set -x for shell scripts (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayanandra
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to write perl substitute command in shell scripts

How to write perl substitute command in shell script without invoking a perl script file seperately. for ex: shell script to relace IT with CSC in a file using perl substitute command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: param_it
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I make running gawk scripts more user-friendly in a Windows environment?

I know, and I apologise for using the W word, but I have users asking if they can use my gawk scripts, but I just know they're not going to like using the DOS command line. Is there any way for me to run my gawk scripts from a gui? Even if it's from a web page (html, php, what ever). I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonathanm
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is command line invocation of gnome-terminal to run more than one command possible?

Hello, I am trying to learn how to pass something more than a one-command startup for gnome-terminal. I will give an example of what I'm trying to do here: #! /bin/bash # #TODO write this for gnome and xterm USAGE=" ______________________________________________ ${0##*/} run... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl script, with command-line options

Hello everyone, I have a perl script which takes various command line options from user like : test.pl -i <input_file> -o <output_file> -d <value> -c <value> Now I have multiple input files in a directory: <input_file_1> <input_file_2> <input_file_3> <input_file_4> ..... .... ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run perl scripts to a distant server!!!!

Hello everybody; I want to run some scripts perl on my windows pc to a distant server linux which i connect to it via putty,I'm just a small beginner and I want just to know if this is possible or not and if you can send me some docs I will really grateful. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bassma
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Two scripts in a single command line

Hi All, I have two scripts which i want to run in a single command line(or in a single script). And if both the scripts in the main script fail then i want to pass a value to a Application specific utility which will trigger some alert.The value can be anything. Somebody please help.It is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shroh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Better way to run this perl command

i'm working with files that are huge in size. over 3GB. and i need to do a lot of pattern matching. I need a way to grep for what i want, using a tool that is available across most unix systems. i initially was gungho about grep, but not all capablities of grep are available on all OSes. so... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run 2 python scripts at the same time side by side on the same line?

Could I run 2 python scripts at the same time side by side output on the same line in this same format but with scripts? from itertools import izip_longest with open("file1") as textfile1, open("file2") as textfile2: for x, y in izip_longest(textfile1, textfile2, fillvalue=""): x =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigvito19
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)