Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers TAR question (probably a very simple answer) Post 302454302 by Corona688 on Friday 17th of September 2010 02:27:27 PM
Old 09-17-2010
cd /testing123 ; tar -cf /path/to/test.tar *.gz

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A question that need an answer Plz

I'm with FreeBSD 4.6.2, and i would like to know how to install this ports : ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/net/kmerlin There's no .tgz so i can't do the pkg_add command. Can you please help me??? Thank You. :) Erythro73 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erythro73
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple TAR question

Unix is great at giving you power were you need it, but what a pain in the rump when you just want to do such a simple thing like file management. I'm going back to Windows, crashing is frustrating, needing to spend 30 min just to zip a file up is crazy. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yankee428
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stupid question but please answer

How do i save a script in unix. do i just type something like #!/bin/sh # This is a comment! echo Hello World #This is also a comment Then just go to save as and save it or what? just kinda confused me as i was reading different things and playing around (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

automatically answer a question raised by a command

i have installed vmware on a text base linux node now i have to vmware-configure.pl to do the initial configuration now 1st step it askes for agreeing for a " License Agreement" for that i have to say "q" and "yes" to Accept it i want to run a script with does these 3 steps... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please, i need an answer to this question!!

Hello!! I need some help about a question... It was asked in exams 3 years ago in Greece and nobody is certain abou the answer. Others say that the right answer is b and others say c. I found this forum and i saw that you know a lot of things about UNIX so i hope that some of you will help me.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evoula_vou
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris JumpStarting?... Simple Yes/No Question... Unless the answer's 'No'

I'm reading through this guide, BigAdmin Feature Article: Using Solaris JumpStart With the Solaris 10 OS for x86/x64 Platforms, and I was wondering if there was more to the bash scripts than just the example given (see above link) like for begin1 and begin2 and finish1 and finish2. I don't know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
th_get_pathname(3)						  C Library Calls						th_get_pathname(3)

NAME
th_get_pathname, th_get_uid, th_get_gid, th_get_mode, th_get_crc, th_get_size, th_get_mtime, th_get_devmajor, th_get_devminor, th_get_linkname - extract individual fields of a tar header TH_ISREG, TH_ISLNK, TH_ISSYM, TH_ISCHR, TH_ISBLK, TH_ISDIR, TH_ISFIFO - determine what kind of file a tar header refers to TH_ISLONGNAME, TH_ISLONGLINK - determine whether the GNU extensions are in use SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> char *th_get_linkname(TAR *t); char *th_get_pathname(TAR *t); mode_t th_get_mode(TAR *t); uid_t th_get_uid(TAR *t); gid_t th_get_gid(TAR *t); int th_get_crc(TAR *t); off_t th_get_size(TAR *t); time_t th_get_mtime(TAR *t); major_t th_get_devmajor(TAR *t); minor_t th_get_devminor(TAR *t); int TH_ISREG(TAR *t); int TH_ISLNK(TAR *t); int TH_ISSYM(TAR *t); int TH_ISCHR(TAR *t); int TH_ISBLK(TAR *t); int TH_ISDIR(TAR *t); int TH_ISFIFO(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGNAME(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGLINK(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The th_get_*() functions extract individual fields from the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_IS*() macros are used to evaluate what kind of file is pointed to by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_ISLONGNAME() and TH_ISLONGLINK() macros evaluate whether or not the GNU extensions are used by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. This is only relevant if the TAR_GNU option was used when tar_open() was called. SEE ALSO
tar_open(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 th_get_pathname(3)