Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I execute another shell from my ksh script? Post 302454297 by alexstar on Friday 17th of September 2010 02:20:56 PM
Old 09-17-2010
How can I execute another shell from my ksh script?

I am newbie in UNIX, so please excuse me for the stupid question.Smilie
Here is a problem:
I created ksh script where the part of the functionality include an opening of a second session with another shell process "runrep"(runrep is a custom reporting shell designed by Advent Geneva).
When I run my script as it is now, as soon as it rich the line where it suppose to load a second shell - it just stuck at this point. In the output window I can see a child shell prompt. Looks like the second thread is created and the original thread is just waiting for the the child thread to complete.
Here is my questions:
1) How can I prevent my script from opening a new thread, so it would re-use the current thread and would be able to interact with the new shell?
2) If second thread is necessarily, how can I do command exchange between two shell threads?

Thank you for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

execute a ksh script from perl script!

Hi, I have used exec ("/bin/ksh -c /path/file.ksh arg1"); to execute the file.ksh script from a test.pl script. But it doesnt work.. can anyone tell me what exactly the systax should be?... i have tried system("/path/file.ksh arg1"); too....still no luck... quick replies are highly appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meghana
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute unix shell script to text file using the script

Hi all, I am beginner in UNIX...I want to use unix shell script to create text.file...I know how to use using by command...can anybody tell me for the script? Thanks i changed the threads title from "tex file" to "text file", because "tex" would probably be misunderstood as reference to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastercar
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use ssh execute other shell script on other host (shell script include nohup)?

i want use ssh on the host01 to execute autoexec.sh on the host02 like following : host01> ssh host02 autoexec.sh autoexec.sh include nohup command like follwing : nohup /home/jack/deletedata.sh & after i execute ssh host02 autoexec.sh one the host01. i can't found deletedata.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orablue
1 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows remote to Solaris to execute ksh script

Hi all, I'm not sure if it is correct to post here. I am facing problem wanting to create a batch that run from my Windows XP pc to remote to multiple Solaris server to execute the server's ksh script. :wall: Can anyone give me a hints on how to do that? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Script to Execute command from specific column in file

Hi Unix Experts,Team I have a file (say comand_file.prm), The file has a command specified in column 6 (say "./execute_script.sh"). I want to execute this command in my script. I am writing a KSH script to achieve this. Could you please assist me with this. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevanm
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to execute ksh simple shell script without creating .sh file

please help me to execute a simple shell script like for i in `ls echo $i done . i dont want to create a new sh file to execute it. Can i just type and execute it ? because I always this kind of simple for loops . Please help . Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sooraj_Linux
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dos batch script to execute unix shell script

Can anyone help me with a dos batch script to execute a shell script residing in an unix server. I am not able to use ssh. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shri123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch script to execute shell script in UNIX server

Hi team, My requirement is to transfer pdf files from windows machine to unix server and then from that unix server we should sftp to another server. I have completed the first part i.e From windows to using to unix server with the help of psftp.exe code: psftp user@host -pw password <... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhupeshchavan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script to execute 2 variabless in universe enviroment

Hello, Im trying to write a ksh script that will enter the universe environment as user kourier (switching to this specific user automatically launches to the TCL prompt). At the TCL " > " prompt i want to execute two variables. However, it wont recognize the second variable (user input Answer) due... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a shell script in UNIX m/c from win 7 using ksh

I need to run a shell script on unix machine from windows 7. I used the "RSH" command in win XP successfully for this, But on win 7 it is not working. Can any body tell me how to run RSH on win 7 or any other command for similar use. I use the command as below rsh <unix m/c> -l <username>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arup1980
1 Replies
thr_join(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					      thr_join(3C)

NAME
thr_join - wait for thread termination SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file...[ library... ] #include <thread.h> int thr_join(thread_t thread, thread_t *departed, void **status); DESCRIPTION
The thr_join() function suspends processing of the calling thread until the target thread completes. The thread argument must be a member of the current process and cannot be a detached thread. See thr_create(3C). If two or more threads wait for the same thread to complete, all will suspend processing until the thread has terminated, and then one thread will return successfully and the others will return with an error of ESRCH. The thr_join() function will not block processing of the calling thread if the target thread has already terminated. If a thr_join() call returns successfully with a non-null status argument, the value passed to thr_exit(3C) by the terminating thread will be placed in the location referenced by status. If the target thread ID is 0, thr_join() finds and returns the status of a terminated undetached thread in the process. If no such thread exists, it suspends processing of the calling thread until a thread for which no other thread is waiting enters that state, at which time it returns successfully, or until all other threads in the process are either daemon threads or threads waiting in thr_join(), in which case it returns EDEADLK. See NOTES. If departed is not NULL, it points to a location that is set to the ID of the terminated thread if thr_join() returns successfully. RETURN VALUES
If successful, thr_join() returns 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
EDEADLK A joining deadlock would occur, such as when a thread attempts to wait for itself, or the calling thread is waiting for any thread to exit and only daemon threads or waiting threads exist in the process. ESRCH No undetached thread could be found corresponding to the given thread ID. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
thr_create(3C), thr_exit(3C), wait(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
Using thr_join(3C) in the following syntax, while (thr_join(0, NULL, NULL) == 0); will wait for the termination of all non-daemon threads, excluding threads that are themselves waiting in thr_join(). SunOS 5.10 27 Mar 2000 thr_join(3C)