Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: logging to file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting logging to file Post 302453893 by Chirel on Thursday 16th of September 2010 05:25:34 PM
Old 09-16-2010
Code:
echo "This go to log (create it) and screen" | tee logfile.log

echo "This go to log (update it) and screen" | tee -a logfile.log

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logging SFTP details in a log file...

hi all..... i want to know how to log the details when logging into a server using SFTP......in FTP i used something like (ftp -uv<xxx.srp>>log_file.log) where the details will be logged to log_file...is there any options for doing the same in SFTP....i wanted to display the details abt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santy
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Logging all console activity to a file - how?

Hi all, Well I've had a bit more experience with Unix-like environments since my last post, now that I have started working on my website in earnest and am doing much of the file manipulation via the command line through SSH. The thing is, I want to be able to log all console activity,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patwa
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging in and running an update file from command

I am trying to upgrade many installations of a gallery script called coppermine through the commandline. I've copied the latest files of the script to each account. Then, I need to run a file gallery/update.php which requires I log in I can create an admin user for myself for each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SQLPLUS Password Parameter file being used when logging in

Good day to everyone. This is my first time posting and just barely above basic Unix training. I think i have search thoroughly to ensure my question hasn't already been posted. But on the off chance the answer has been posted, please be nice as I am not 100% sure I know what I am looking for. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mrjester
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar file with logging and directory via parameter

Hi all, I am fairly new to shell scripting and I am trying the following: My shell script creates a tar file with files with the ending ~. The directory - where the files and sub directories are located - comes as a parameter when I call the script. Files that are archived will be written in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neg42
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging success event into file

Hi, I've the following code to log the errors any after the command is executed. # Ksh 88 Version log_path=/home/etc/fls/fls_log.log del_path=/home/etc/fls/to_day rm $del_path/* >> $log_path 2>&1 But I even want to log if the rm command is success without any error along with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smile689
1 Replies

7. Programming

Logging in shared file

Hi. The problem is to write logs in a shared file from several processes. The cooperate call of fprintf() leads to messing the content even in one call example: fprintf(f,"a1 \n a2"); fprintf(f,"a3 \n a4"); out: a1 a3 a2 a4 Ofcourse this is possible to implement the file as a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: z7ql
9 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Xterm logging on Cygwin/X - binary data in log file.

I have Cygwin/X installed on Windows 7. In an xterm, I turned on logging via Main Options > Log to File. When I open my log file with Vim I get a warning that it might be binary. Looking through the file I see what I think are VT datastream escape characters. It makes it hard to use the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gctaylor
1 Replies

9. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH logging to file, limit lines

BASH Gurus: Anyone know how to append continuous output command appending to a file, but limit that file to no more than 20 lines? The program I have running is simply monitoring my UDP port 53 for incoming packets endlessly. I just need to keep this file from going over 20 lines. Once the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpius2k1
3 Replies
POSTLOG(1)						      General Commands Manual							POSTLOG(1)

NAME
postlog - Postfix-compatible logging utility SYNOPSIS
postlog [-iv] [-c config_dir] [-p priority] [-t tag] [text...] DESCRIPTION
The postlog(1) command implements a Postfix-compatible logging interface for use in, for example, shell scripts. By default, postlog(1) logs the text given on the command line as one record. If no text is specified on the command line, postlog(1) reads from standard input and logs each input line as one record. Logging is sent to syslogd(8); when the standard error stream is connected to a terminal, logging is sent there as well. The following options are implemented: -c config_dir Read the main.cf configuration file in the named directory instead of the default configuration directory. -i Include the process ID in the logging tag. -p priority Specifies the logging severity: info (default), warn, error, fatal, or panic. -t tag Specifies the logging tag, that is, the identifying name that appears at the beginning of each logging record. A default tag is used when none is specified. -v Enable verbose logging for debugging purposes. Multiple -v options make the software increasingly verbose. ENVIRONMENT
MAIL_CONFIG Directory with the main.cf file. CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS
The following main.cf parameters are especially relevant to this program. The text below provides only a parameter summary. See postconf(5) for more details including examples. config_directory (see 'postconf -d' output) The default location of the Postfix main.cf and master.cf configuration files. syslog_facility (mail) The syslog facility of Postfix logging. syslog_name (see 'postconf -d' output) The mail system name that is prepended to the process name in syslog records, so that "smtpd" becomes, for example, "postfix/smtpd". SEE ALSO
postconf(5), configuration parameters syslogd(8), syslog daemon LICENSE
The Secure Mailer license must be distributed with this software. AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA POSTLOG(1)