Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: -exec cmd in ksh script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting -exec cmd in ksh script Post 302453872 by Tanuka on Thursday 16th of September 2010 04:16:00 PM
Old 09-16-2010
Hi Filipe,

When I use the double quotes around the positional paramter like this ("$2") I get wierd results when I run the script.

For example, if I have a directory with the following files in it:

Code:
    cpmany
    file1
    file2
    file3
    file4

and I'm cd'ed into this directory and I invoke cpmany like this:

Code:
./cpmany  .  f*  /joe/stuff/

what happens is file1 is copied to file2, with no files copied to the dest dir I specified on the command line, and after doing the one copy operation the script finishes, with no errors.

It should have copied all four files to the dest dir - but it does not do so. What is wrong with my syntax?

Last edited by Scott; 09-16-2010 at 05:34 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man <cmd> >> cmd.txt

I've noticed most of my postings here are because of syntax errors. So I want to begin compiling a large txt file that contains all the "man <cmd>" of the commands I most have problems with. I ran a "man nawk >> nawk.txt" but it included a header/footer on each "page". Anyone know how I'd be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I execute own ksh function in find -exec

Hi, I wrote a smiple ksh function send_notification() { ... } and want to execute it on each file, matched by the find command. I tried: find / -name "*.err" -mtime -8 -exec send_notification {} \; but it doesn't work. What should I do? I work in ksh on Hp-Ux. Regards, Pit (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: cmd output to input of another script

I want to write a script in KSH that takes the output of one command and redisplays it. Something like: while true do read inpt date +"%I:%M:%S %p <-> $inpt" done and then some how get the output of the ping command to redirect to the input of this script. does that make sense? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMTheNachoMan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

7. Red Hat

setup sudo for cmd exec w/o password

i need to set up a user to execute a restricted command as another user and to be able to do so without entering a password. I understand the security concerns but let's not go there, unless you are really compelled to do so... The directive to permit is that I believe should work and did add to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status from ksh script exec from java using runtime

how do i get the exit status from a ksh or perl script executed in a java program using Runtime? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twk
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run few perl script in CMD using script

Hi, I have few PERL script which I have to run in CMD. I want to create a new script which will take care of running all these scripts in CMD.:confused: can any one suggest which script will be appropriate to solve my problem. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arup1980
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)