Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat CLI for serial number or tag for BIOS Post 302453869 by Corona688 on Thursday 16th of September 2010 04:09:13 PM
Old 09-16-2010
PC's don't have reliable, consistent unique ID's. Stick among one model of one brand of PC and they might if you're lucky. Intel tried to introduce this with CPU unique IDs and the public was so spooked they took it back out. You could look at the mac addresses of installed network cards, though these will of course change if the network cards are replaced... You could also get the UUID of the root partition, and things like that.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-16-2010 at 05:16 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tape Serial Number

Hello Experts, I've got a shell script that makes the backup of the files that i want. I also have this script showing the amount of files backed up and in witch folders they are. It's only missing one thing. I got all the information beeing stored in a text file and all i've got to do is to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorge.ferreira
6 Replies

2. AIX

how to find serial number

hi how to find ( server machine )serial number throught the command in AIX thanks for your replay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chomca
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Display Serial Number

Hello, I am running Solaris 9 and I need to display the serial number of my machine. How can I do this? Here is my machine info: SunOS birch 5.9 Generic_118558-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 Thank you, David (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Serial number

Hi Solarizer ;) I have face the difficulties of gathering information about the serial number of sun machine. i think its can do so easy while the machine is just one or two. But i have to administrate hundreds of sun machine. Any body knows how to gather this information by the command ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpx99
4 Replies

5. Linux

Device serial number

Hey! I'm trying to figure out a sollution for a problem I have at my company with an Iomega MiniMax 500 GB USB disk. If i run cat /proc/bus/usb/devices I get this information: T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=04 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 5 Spd=480 MxCh= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Anyone know how to get Serial number with 1 command?

Solaris8 Anyone help? (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
27 Replies

7. Solaris

BIOS Serial Number on Sun Fire V240

Hi, I want to know if there is a command available for obtaining the BIOS Serial Number on a Sun Fire V240 machine? Or is it a known issue that it cannot be obtained through any command? Thanks, Vineet (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of lines between two tag

Hi I have a big xml file of having many data </Data> </Node> <Node> List <abc>3932590983 3396003964 3355713230</abc> </Data> </Node> </Data> </Node> <abc>3932590983 3396003964</abc>I want to count the lines present betweem tag starting with abc and ending with abc so o/p will be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about bind serial number

Hello folks. Please let me understand the bind serial number. I am confuse. 13011321 ---------- Post updated at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:55 AM ---------- Thanks problem is solved. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learnbash
1 Replies
MACHINE-ID(5)							    machine-id							     MACHINE-ID(5)

NAME
machine-id - Local machine ID configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/machine-id DESCRIPTION
The /etc/machine-id file contains the unique machine ID of the local system that is set during installation. The machine ID is a single newline-terminated, hexadecimal, 32-character, lowercase machine ID string. When decoded from hexadecimal, this corresponds with a 16-byte/128-bit string. The machine ID is usually generated from a random source during system installation and stays constant for all subsequent boots. Optionally, for stateless systems, it is generated during runtime at boot if it is found to be empty. The machine ID does not change based on user configuration or when hardware is replaced. This machine ID adheres to the same format and logic as the D-Bus machine ID. Programs may use this ID to identify the host with a globally unique ID in the network, which does not change even if the local network configuration changes. Due to this and its greater length, it is a more useful replacement for the gethostid(3) call that POSIX specifies. The systemd-machine-id-setup(1) tool may be used by installer tools to initialize the machine ID at install time. RELATION TO OSF UUIDS
Note that the machine ID historically is not an OSF UUID as defined by RFC 4122[1], nor a Microsoft GUID; however, starting with systemd v30, newly generated machine IDs do qualify as v4 UUIDs. In order to maintain compatibility with existing installations, an application requiring a UUID should decode the machine ID, and then apply the following operations to turn it into a valid OSF v4 UUID. With "id" being an unsigned character array: /* Set UUID version to 4 --- truly random generation */ id[6] = (id[6] & 0x0F) | 0x40; /* Set the UUID variant to DCE */ id[8] = (id[8] & 0x3F) | 0x80; (This code is inspired by "generate_random_uuid()" of drivers/char/random.c from the Linux kernel sources.) HISTORY
The simple configuration file format of /etc/machine-id originates in the /var/lib/dbus/machine-id file introduced by D-Bus. In fact, this latter file might be a symlink to /etc/machine-id. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-machine-id-setup(1), gethostid(3), hostname(5), machine-info(5), os-release(5), sd-id128(3), sd_id128_get_machine(3) NOTES
1. RFC 4122 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4122 systemd 208 MACHINE-ID(5)