Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting User access to only specific subdirectory Post 302453759 by lhareigh890 on Thursday 16th of September 2010 09:28:51 AM
Old 09-16-2010
User access to only specific subdirectory

is is possible to grant user access to only one subdirectory? example

a. create ftp user with read/write/delete access (ftp user doesnt belong to uguys group)

Code:
$ cd /etc/mydir
$ls
file1   file2
$ls -al
-rw-rw-r-x   2 unixguy  uguys  96 Dec 8 12:53 file1
-rw-rw-r-x   2 unixguy  uguys  96 Dec 8 12:53 file2

Solution I guess is create username ftp under another group and chnage the permission like chmod o+w file2 and chmod o+w file1. Is there a way to have ftp user to only access file1 and file2? No other file in the whole OS?

thanks,

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Double post, continued here, thread closed

Last edited by pludi; 09-16-2010 at 10:36 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restrict access to specific users.

Hi All! I would like to know if there is any specific way by which I can restrict access to apecific users (ip addresses). OS : Red hat linux Thanks! nua7 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Side-Effect of write access permissions for a subdirectory

Hi Unix Gurus, I'm a newbie to unix and need some help from you. I'm going to give full access (777) to a subdirectory to an FTP account. Let's say the subdirectory is /usr/local/dir1/dir2/dir3 There are files in dir1, say a.txt b.cfg c.xml Will this account be able to access... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xinu299
3 Replies

3. Solaris

create user with RWX access to a specific directory in Solaris 10

I need to create a user account for a developer that will allow him rwx access to all resources in a directory. How can I do that? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsander
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files of specific size excluding search in a subdirectory

Hi All, I was exploring find command and came across -prune option which would exclude search in a mention subdirectory. My quesry is to search all files more that 100 MB size but exclude search in a subdirectory. I am using below command,but somehow it is not working. Can anybody help me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

allow user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file

Is there a way to allow a user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to count how many subdirectory containing more than a certain number of specific file type

hi I want to write a script which count the number of subdirectories in the current root directory that contain more than a specified number of files of a specific type. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks Robert (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Limit FTP user's access to a specific directory

Hi, I have searched "Limit FTP user's access to a specific directory" subject for 3 days. I found proftp and vsftp but i couldn't compile and install. Is there any idea. Please suggest. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamurd
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Limit bash/sh user's access to a specific directory

Hello Team, I have Solaris 10 u6 I have a user test1 using bash that belong to the group staff. I would like to restrict this user to navigate only in his home directory and his subfolders but not not move out to other directories. How can I do it ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csierra
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for specific file type in subdirectory with multiple folders

I have a directory that is in the below order (the --- is not part of the directory tree, only there to help illustrate: DATE --- main level Folder1 --- level under DATE plugin_out --- level under Folder1 variantCaller_out.40 --- level under plugin_out 001,002,003 --- level under... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Granting access to specific user on a 700 file

Hello, I have a a directory dir1 with permissions 700 (yes wantedly) and is owned by user1:group1 rwx------ user1 group1 dir1I need to give permissions to user2 (belongs to group2) on dir1 and its files, so I granted the permissions using setfacl ; instead of adding the user to groups and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xzdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp(1) or diff(1). If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported compression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncom- pressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp(1) or diff(1) is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2010-09-27 XZDIFF(1)