Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing Bash shell scripts corresponding to windows bat files Post 302453724 by rajuchacha007 on Thursday 16th of September 2010 07:29:03 AM
Old 09-16-2010
Writing Bash shell scripts corresponding to windows bat files

Experts,

I am newbie in shell scripting. I want to write Bash shell scripts corresponding to windows bat files. I have installed cygwin at c:\cygwin and i am trying to crate the sh file using vi editor. i am not able to understand how to use linux/unix convention for the code. following is my code.

Code:
@ECHO OFF
IF NOT DEFINED MY_HOME goto home_not_set
IF DEFINED JAVA_HOME GOTO java_defined
ECHO Setting Java Home
set JAVA_HOME="%MY_HOME%\java\jre6_14"
SET PATH=%JAVA_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
:java_defined
set ACTIVEMQ_HOME=%MY_HOME%\message
GOTO end
:home_not_set
ECHO Set environment variable MY_HOME before running this script
GOTO end
:end
ENDLOCAL

where can i find a document or sample code to use in cygwin? i tried with #!/bin/bash. it started to print error at the end of file. do i need to set any path before writing scripts? please suggest or advise.

Thank you.

Last edited by Franklin52; 09-16-2010 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help for newbie writing shell scripts

Hi, I have just started a Systems Programming course and am required to write a c shell script as part of it. I have little to no clue about unix. The spec states that the script can be run only once on each host by a user, but the script can be run on different hosts by the one user. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: richgi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Shell Scripts from Windows to Unix: files have exotic characters

Hey guys, I am working on my shell scripts in wordpad in windows. Then, I upload it to my unix using psftp, but when I open those files with "vi" in Unix, there are all these "^M" characters in the file. Would anyone of you have a clue as to why? Help would be appreciated. Thanks, Laud (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laud12345
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is writing shell scripts different than...

I am currently taking a linux shell scripting class and also a intro to programming class using QBASIC. Will this interfere with how i learn each one? Are they similar in some ways? I already took a unix course based on the commands and it was easy, but now i have to create programs. Also, how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentdeback
1 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Urgent Need for Assistance: Triggering Windows bat files from UNIX

Hello, Is there a way to trigger a Windows bat file or program on a different machine from a different UNIX server using KSC file? I hope you can assist me with this. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: punyenye
0 Replies

5. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Q about windows bat files

Hi, can you run a windows bat file or a VBscript from a shell script? #!/bin/sh PATH=/ $PATH/test.bat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmac
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing shell scripts of commands

can anyone help me in writing a shell script to visualize how simple commands work and on what logic. For Eg: ls command how it lists out all the files and directories, need to write a simple script based on the commands source code.:D (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul_11d
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Bash shell scripts corresponding to windows bat files

Experts, I am newbie in shell scripting. I want to write Bash shell scripts corresponding to windows bat files. I have installed cygwin at c:\cygwin and i am trying to crate the sh file using vi editor. i am not able to understand how to use linux/unix convention for the code. following is my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajuchacha007
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing hive scripts in bash script file

Hi, I wanted to load data from HDFS to HIVE by writing bash script. Description: I have written a bash script to validate the data and loaded validated data from local file system to HDFS. Now in the same bash script i wanted to load the data from HDFS to HIVE. How can i do it ? Also how tyhe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing Hbase and pig scripts in the bash script file

Hi, I have a script file where i'm validatig the input file and storing the validated records on HDFS. I wanted to load data from HDFS to HBASE using pig script. So for that i have created a HBASE table and written pig script to load data from HDFS to HBASE which is working fine. Now i wanted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
0 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)