Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Complex MySQL Query(s)
Top Forums Web Development Complex MySQL Query(s) Post 302453645 by Neo on Thursday 16th of September 2010 01:39:45 AM
Old 09-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by STOIE
@ NEO
I am sure I could do that, but really wanted to package it neatly into a query.
Programming is being done in PERL
Hi Stoie,

I understand completely!

IMHO, the query is 'neater' if smaller and you simply read into an array and use PERL to organize and extract the data you need.

Of course, you can program anyway you like!

I can tell you, from experience with a busy forum driven by PHP and MySQL, that complex MySQL queries cause performance (slow query) problems, are hard to debug, and generally do not perform well. Here, where we do millions and millions of MySQL queries a day, the only queries that cause problems (slow queries) are those written by programmers who embed the logic in the actual query and not in the PHP processing. Based on years of experience with MySQL in these forums, I like simple queries and logic in actual code... just me of course.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Need help with complex SQL query (Sybase)

Hello, I have three tables. I need an SQL query (preferably Sybase) that will return all of the stringID values of table B where the following conditions exist: (1) B.intID = A.intID (2) B.intID != C.intID or (B.intID = C.intID and (C.v1 = 0 or C.v2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatieremerrill
2 Replies

2. Programming

How to query one to many mysql

Hi there, I have a hierarchical database that include 4 tables. Table A is the parent of B, B is Parent of C, C is parent of D. If I want to query everything in D that is associated with A.name, how do I do that? Thanks! YanYan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinkgladiator
0 Replies

3. Web Development

mysql query help

hello all i have 2 columns every column in the following format column1 2011-04-01 11:39:54 column2 2019-02-03 00:00:00 i want get difference between above data as following 2 days 11:39 how to do so ? i tried many functions but nothing works please advice what is the query... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogabr
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex query

A file whose location i am not aware of contains the below text <url>jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(FAILOVER=on)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP) (HOST=ngm2sn1p2-vip.mybank.net)(PORT=4001))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=ngm2sn2p2-vip.mybank.net)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

5. Programming

mysql query help

Hello i have created mysql query to compare to values and get difference in percentage as following: SELECT file_name, 100 - ((100 * (SELECT file_count FROM xipi_files z WHERE x.file_group = z.file_group AND x.file_name = z.file_name AND z.insert_date = CURDATE( ) - INTERVAL 1 DAY)) /... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mogabr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex string search query.

Hi, I wish to find the latest occurance of the below string in my log file. Once found, I need to search the below string after the above string and display this Request 331489 has passed or Request 331489 has failed I would like my query to be platform... (11 Replies)
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex Query regarding folder size

Hi, I provide the path to a folder. I would like so drill in each folder inside the folder i gave and show me the size in human readable form du -sh <folder-name> of the top 8 folders with maximum sizes. For example: Path of the folder: "/opt/app/myapp" has these directories. ls... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Programming

Need help in mysql query

Hi All, i have a table in mysql with the following data Table name Test Assettype Serial_No Status location Mouse 123456 In Stock chennai Mouse 98765 Allocated chennai Keyboard ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkitesh
2 Replies
MYSQL_INSERT_ID(3)							 1							MYSQL_INSERT_ID(3)

mysql_insert_id - Get the ID generated in the last query

SYNOPSIS
Warning This extension is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0, and will be removed in the future. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQL extension should be used. See also MySQL: choosing an API guide and related FAQ for more information. Alternatives to this function include: omysqli_insert_id(3) o PDO::lastInsertId int mysql_insert_id ([resource $link_identifier = NULL]) DESCRIPTION
Retrieves the ID generated for an AUTO_INCREMENT column by the previous query (usually INSERT). o $ link_identifier -The MySQL connection. If the link identifier is not specified, the last link opened by mysql_connect(3) is assumed. If no such link is found, it will try to create one as if mysql_connect(3) was called with no arguments. If no connection is found or established, an E_WARNING level error is generated. The ID generated for an AUTO_INCREMENT column by the previous query on success, 0 if the previous query does not generate an AUTO_INCRE- MENT value, or FALSE if no MySQL connection was established. Example #1 mysql_insert_id(3) example <?php $link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'mysql_user', 'mysql_password'); if (!$link) { die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error()); } mysql_select_db('mydb'); mysql_query("INSERT INTO mytable (product) values ('kossu')"); printf("Last inserted record has id %d ", mysql_insert_id()); ?> Caution mysql_insert_id(3) will convert the return type of the native MySQL C API function mysql_insert_id() to a type of long (named int in PHP). If your AUTO_INCREMENT column has a column type of BIGINT (64 bits) the conversion may result in an incorrect value. Instead, use the internal MySQL SQL function LAST_INSERT_ID() in an SQL query. For more information about PHP's maximum integer values, please see the integer documentation. Note Because mysql_insert_id(3) acts on the last performed query, be sure to call mysql_insert_id(3) immediately after the query that generates the value. Note The value of the MySQL SQL function LAST_INSERT_ID() always contains the most recently generated AUTO_INCREMENT value, and is not reset between queries. mysql_query(3), mysql_info(3). PHP Documentation Group MYSQL_INSERT_ID(3)