Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dates not comparing correct even the same format Post 302453531 by Guyverix on Wednesday 15th of September 2010 03:05:29 PM
Old 09-15-2010
Have you thought about just converting these dates into integers for the comparison?

date +%s for now, and
date --date=yesterday +%s (or whatever you inject via loop)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing 2 dates

hi , I have two variables both containg dates, x= `date` and y= `date' their format being -> Fri Nov 12 22:59:50 MST 2004 how do I compare which one is greater. ->Can dates be converted into integer and then compared? ( one lengthy way would be to compare the words one by... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_oops9
7 Replies

2. Programming

comparing dates

hi is there a c function in linux for comparing dates. thanx in advance. svh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two dates

Hi, Can some one guide me how to compare two dates in unix. TIA Gupta (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing dates

Hi guys I have a a variable called check_ts which holds a date value. this date value keeps refreshing every 15 minutes. I am going to start a cron job 5 minutes after the refresh. I have to check if the current date > 20 min of check_ts. how do i do that. thanks ragha (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to generate all the dates in DDMMYY format between 2 dates

Hello friends, I am looking for a script or method that can display all the dates between any 2 given dates. Input: Date 1 290109 Date 2 010209 Output: 300109 310109 Please help me. Thanks. :):confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing two dates.

Hi I have yesterday date and todays date stored in two variables. Today date is stored in variable -- testdate=`date +%m/%d/%Y` I found the yesterday date and stored in variable -- ydate=$month'/'$day1'/'$year Now i am trying to find out whether $testdate is less that $ydate. I am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: intiraju
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Could not able to get the correct dates.

Hi, I have written the following script which will provide the first date of the 3rd previous month and last date of the 2nd previous month but when I change the month for 03 (March) then I am getting the incorrect results. Ex : - If today is 1 Jan 2010 then the script should provide the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kandi.reddy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing dates

Hi, I want to compare today's date(DDMMYYYY) with yesterday(DDMMYYYY) from system date,if (today month = yesterday month) then execute alter query else do nothing.One more condition is change of year also i.e today is Jan1 2012 and yesterday is Dec 31 2011. The above rek i want in Shell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmsk1331
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Dates

Hi I'm trying to compare the current date (dd-Mmm-yyyy) against a variable that is an extracted date from an sql script. Below is the code: datenow=`date '+%d-%h-%Y'` #datenow is the current date in the format dd-Mmm-yyyy sqlplus $dbuserid/$dbpassword @ $SCRIPT_PATH/business-date.sql >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyAV
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while comparing dates

Hi I am failing to write a script which compares a list of dates in a file with today's date. OS: Solaris 10 I have a file which has server names & dates, i need to compare the date in this file with today's date, if it is less than today it should print the server name. code i tried is ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
3 Replies
DP(8)                                                                [nmh-1.5]                                                               DP(8)

NAME
dp - parse dates 822-style SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/dp [-form formatfile] [-format string] [-width columns] [-version] [-help] dates ... DESCRIPTION
Dp is a program that parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard. It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using ctime(3). It is useful for seeing how nmh will interpret a date. The dp program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official 822-format. Hence, it is usually best to enclose each argument in quotes for the shell. To override the output format used by dp, the -format string or -format file switches are used. This permits individual fields of the address to be extracted with ease. The string is simply a format string and the file is simply a format file. See mh-format(5) for the details. Here is the default format string used by dp: %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(putstr(pretty{text}))%> which says that if an error was detected, print the error, a `:', and the date in error. Otherwise, output the 822-proper format of the date. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
ap(8), Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC-822) DEFAULTS
`-format' default as described above `-width' default to the width of the terminal CONTEXT
None BUGS
The argument to the -format switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes dp. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside quotes. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 DP(8)