Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I execute the results of a pipe? Post 302453241 by bartus11 on Tuesday 14th of September 2010 01:12:51 PM
Old 09-14-2010
Does it have to be done with pipes? This would work too:
Code:
cat setup | grep -v DEBUG > /tmp/file; source /tmp/file

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pipe SQL select statement results to script

Hello I would like to perform a select from a oracle table and return those values to my shell script For example: site=head -1 $infile | cut -c1-15 | awk '{printf "s%", $0} sqlplus -s /nolog |& #Open pipe to sql select col1, col2, col3, col4 from oracle_table where col5 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: houtakker
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter results through pipe with grep

ls -ltr | grep string How can I use regular expressions to filter the results provided even more. I am using the above command as a reference. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckandreou
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pipe results of Grep Command to LS Comand

I'm using the command grep -l XYZ to get a list of files containing the string XYZ. Then I using the comand ls -l ABC to get the create date timestamp of the each file. I've tried combining the comands using the pipe command, grep -l XYZ | ls -l, but its not working. What am I doing wrong? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhtate
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display find results, and pipe to xargs

I have an overnight script which runs across a large directory to repair permissions and ownership. I also have this command output the list of files affected so that cron can email these as a log file. Previously I had the command in the form: find /path/to/files -not -user myname -print -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed returns different results while substitution on a pipe delimited file

Hi, Need help with a sed command that I am using to substitute 3 positions of a pipe delimited file. i am getting different results while substituting the same position of two different files with the same value. Please see details below: $ cat chk2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmenon
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ?

Hello , When using vim, can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ? Once I jump to one tag, I can use :tnext to jump to next tag, but how can I display the preview search result? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pipe binary file matches grep results to file

I am using grep to match a pattern, but the output is strange. $ grep -r -o "pattern" * Gives me: Binary file foo1 matches Binary file foo2 matches Binary file foo3 matches To find the lines before/after, I then have to use the following on each file: $ strings foo1 | grep -A1 -B1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to launch results of a pipe?

Good afternoon, I have just messed up and deleted some directories on my UNIX machine. I would now want to know which packages are impacted by this. Therefore I have a look in the file "/var/sadm/install/contents" (which contains the filenames/directory names for each installation package). After... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scampsd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Execute command and mail results

HI everyone, I would like to have a script to run a certain linux command and mail the results or output of this command. This shell is to be later on set as cronjob. thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrickminas
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

One Line Command how to use pipe statements to execute and comment on multiple possible outcomes

Hello Forum, I'm looking to expand the following command: INACTIVE_KERNELS=$(python -mplatform | grep -qi red && rpm -qa | grep '^kernel-' |grep -vE `uname -r` | paste -sd \; || echo "Not Red Hat Server") Currently this command will check if my server is RedHat server using the grep -qi... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
6 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)