Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar files larger than 2GB
Operating Systems AIX Tar files larger than 2GB Post 302453187 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 14th of September 2010 09:53:54 AM
Old 09-14-2010
One suggestion - split the file into smaller pieces with split or csplit, tar up each piece.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Use of unzip with content files > 2Gb

I am zipping and downloading zip files from an AS400 using the unzip utility. The files are being downloaded onto a Solaris box. Some of the content files in the zip are larger than 2GB. When using the unzip utility (version 5.32), it complains of 'disk full'. The disk is not full, I still have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcarlson
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending larger files via ftp

hi all, i am looking for ways to make ftp efficient by tuning the parameters currently, tcp_max_buf is 1 MB tcp_xmit_hiwat is 48 KB say to transmit multiple 2 gb files from unix server to mainframe sys, will increasing the window size or the send buffer size of the current TCP/IP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cpio - files > 2gb

Hi, Currently a backup script copies compressed files to tape using cpio command (on AIX 5.2). Recently we've had a compressed file which has gone over 2 GB in size resulting in an error while copying this file onto the tape using cpio. Any suggestions on relevant workarounds would be much... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

tar 2GB limit

Any idea how to get around this limit? I have a 42GB database backup file (.dmp) taking up disk space because neither tar nor cpio are able to put it onto a tape. I am on a SUN Solaris using SunOS 5.8. I would appreciate whatever help can be provided. Thanks! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SLKRR
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem creating files greater than 2GB

With the C code I am able to create files greater than 2GB if I use the 64 bit compile option -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64. There I am using the function fprintf to write into the file. But when I use C++ and ofstream the file is getting truncated when the size grows beyond 2GB. Is there any special... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbyjohnz
1 Replies

6. Linux

Compress files >2GB

Hi folks, I'm trying to compress a certain number of files from a cifs mount to a xfs mount, but cannot do it when the total size of the files is bigger than 2GB. Is there any limitation for above 2GB? OS is SLES 64bit The files are maximum 1MB, so there are aprox. 2000 files to compress... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavix
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using UNIX Commands with Larger number of Files

Hello Unix Gurus, I am new to Unix so need some help on this. I am using the following commands: 1) mv -f Inputpath/*. outputpath 2) cp Inputpath/*. outputpath 3) rm -rf somepath/* 4) Find Inputpath/*. Now I get the following error with... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backingup larger files with TAR command

I need to backup my database but the files are very large and the TAR command will not let me. I searched aids and found that I could do something with the mknod, COMPRESS and TAR command using them together. I appreciate your help. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frizcala
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to select files larger than 500Mb from servers

I need help modifying these two scripts to do the following: - print files in (MB) instead of (KB) - only select files larger than 500MB -> these will be mailed out daily - Select all files regardless of size all in (MB) -> these will be mailed out once a week this is what i have so far and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: donpasscal
5 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m]] [-l line_count] [-p pattern] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a suffix_length Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b byte_count[k|m] Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If ``k'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If ``m'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l line_count Create smaller files n lines in length. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with the prefix ``x'' and with suffixes as above. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE environment variables affect the execution of split as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The split utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
August 21, 2005 BSD