Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar files larger than 2GB
Operating Systems AIX Tar files larger than 2GB Post 302453178 by depam on Tuesday 14th of September 2010 09:15:25 AM
Old 09-14-2010
Tar files larger than 2GB

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to tar files larger than 2GB? The reason being is they want me to dump a single file (which is around 20GB) to a tape drive and they will restore it on a Solaris box. I know the tar have a limitation of 2GB so I am thinking of a way how to overcome this. Or is there an easy way to put this into tape and other Unix/Linux platform will be able to read. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Use of unzip with content files > 2Gb

I am zipping and downloading zip files from an AS400 using the unzip utility. The files are being downloaded onto a Solaris box. Some of the content files in the zip are larger than 2GB. When using the unzip utility (version 5.32), it complains of 'disk full'. The disk is not full, I still have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcarlson
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending larger files via ftp

hi all, i am looking for ways to make ftp efficient by tuning the parameters currently, tcp_max_buf is 1 MB tcp_xmit_hiwat is 48 KB say to transmit multiple 2 gb files from unix server to mainframe sys, will increasing the window size or the send buffer size of the current TCP/IP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cpio - files > 2gb

Hi, Currently a backup script copies compressed files to tape using cpio command (on AIX 5.2). Recently we've had a compressed file which has gone over 2 GB in size resulting in an error while copying this file onto the tape using cpio. Any suggestions on relevant workarounds would be much... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

tar 2GB limit

Any idea how to get around this limit? I have a 42GB database backup file (.dmp) taking up disk space because neither tar nor cpio are able to put it onto a tape. I am on a SUN Solaris using SunOS 5.8. I would appreciate whatever help can be provided. Thanks! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SLKRR
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem creating files greater than 2GB

With the C code I am able to create files greater than 2GB if I use the 64 bit compile option -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64. There I am using the function fprintf to write into the file. But when I use C++ and ofstream the file is getting truncated when the size grows beyond 2GB. Is there any special... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbyjohnz
1 Replies

6. Linux

Compress files >2GB

Hi folks, I'm trying to compress a certain number of files from a cifs mount to a xfs mount, but cannot do it when the total size of the files is bigger than 2GB. Is there any limitation for above 2GB? OS is SLES 64bit The files are maximum 1MB, so there are aprox. 2000 files to compress... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavix
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using UNIX Commands with Larger number of Files

Hello Unix Gurus, I am new to Unix so need some help on this. I am using the following commands: 1) mv -f Inputpath/*. outputpath 2) cp Inputpath/*. outputpath 3) rm -rf somepath/* 4) Find Inputpath/*. Now I get the following error with... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backingup larger files with TAR command

I need to backup my database but the files are very large and the TAR command will not let me. I searched aids and found that I could do something with the mknod, COMPRESS and TAR command using them together. I appreciate your help. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frizcala
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to select files larger than 500Mb from servers

I need help modifying these two scripts to do the following: - print files in (MB) instead of (KB) - only select files larger than 500MB -> these will be mailed out daily - Select all files regardless of size all in (MB) -> these will be mailed out once a week this is what i have so far and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: donpasscal
5 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - tape archiver SYNOPSIS
tar [ key ] [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores files on magtape. Its actions are controlled by the key argument. The key is a string of characters containing at most one function letter and possibly one or more function modifiers. Other arguments to the command are file or directory names specify- ing which files are to be dumped or restored. In all cases, appearance of a directory name refers to the files and (recursively) subdirec- tories of that directory. The function portion of the key is specified by one of the following letters: r The named files are written on the end of the tape. The c function implies this. x The named files are extracted from the tape. If the named file matches a directory whose contents had been written onto the tape, this directory is (recursively) extracted. The owner, modification time, and mode are restored (if possible). If no file argument is given, the entire content of the tape is extracted. Note that if multiple entries specifying the same file are on the tape, the last one overwrites all earlier. t The names of the specified files are listed each time they occur on the tape. If no file argument is given, all of the names on the tape are listed. u The named files are added to the tape if either they are not already there or have been modified since last put on the tape. c Create a new tape; writing begins on the beginning of the tape instead of after the last file. This command implies r. The following characters may be used in addition to the letter which selects the function desired. 0,...,7 This modifier selects the drive on which the tape is mounted. The default is 1. v Normally tar does its work silently. The v (verbose) option causes it to type the name of each file it treats preceded by the function letter. With the t function, v gives more information about the tape entries than just the name. w causes tar to print the action to be taken followed by file name, then wait for user confirmation. If a word beginning with `y' is given, the action is performed. Any other input means don't do it. f causes tar to use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of /dev/mt?. If the name of the file is `-', tar writes to standard output or reads from standard input, whichever is appropriate. Thus, tar can be used as the head or tail of a filter chain Tar can also be used to move hierarchies with the command cd fromdir; tar cf - . | (cd todir; tar xf -) b causes tar to use the next argument as the blocking factor for tape records. The default is 1, the maximum is 20. This option should only be used with raw magnetic tape archives (See f above). The block size is determined automatically when reading tapes (key letters `x' and `t'). l tells tar to complain if it cannot resolve all of the links to the files dumped. If this is not specified, no error messages are printed. m tells tar to not restore the modification times. The mod time will be the time of extraction. FILES
/dev/mt? /tmp/tar* DIAGNOSTICS
Complaints about bad key characters and tape read/write errors. Complaints if enough memory is not available to hold the link tables. BUGS
There is no way to ask for the n-th occurrence of a file. Tape errors are handled ungracefully. The u option can be slow. The b option should not be used with archives that are going to be updated. The current magtape driver cannot backspace raw magtape. If the archive is on a disk file the b option should not be used at all, as updating an archive stored in this manner can destroy it. The current limit on file name length is 100 characters. TAR(1)