Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pipe & fifo size limit
Top Forums Programming Pipe & fifo size limit Post 302452920 by majid.merkava on Monday 13th of September 2010 11:41:35 AM
Old 09-13-2010
Thank you very much.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Pipe & fifo....

Could someone Help me with this code please? #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include <fcntl.h> #define SIZE_B 256 /*buffer's size */ #define NUM_ARG 20 /* max number of args for any command */ int... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: M3xican
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PIPE and FIFO buffer size

Hello! How I can increase (or decrease) the predefined pipe buffer size? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from blocking fifo pipe in shell script

Hi!! I have a problem reading from a fifo pipe in shell script. The idea is simple, I have a C program with two pipe files: An input pipe I use to send commands in shell script to the C program (echo "command" > input.pipe) An output pipe that I read the result of the command also in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorin
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fifo or named pipe working?

Can someone explain to me the working of fifo() system call using simple C programs so that I can implement them in the UNIX environement? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lvkchaitanya
1 Replies

5. Linux

Limit directory size

Hello I want to limit the size of a directory; so a user cant copy more staff inside it then 5 Giga for example.. eg. /nfs/temp/jhon size can not increase more that 5Gb I havnt found anything on the net. Is there a way to do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for & edit rows & columns in data file and pipe

Dear unix gurus, I have a data file with header information about a subject and also 3 columns of n rows of data on various items he owns. The data file looks something like this: adam peter blah blah blah blah blah blah car 01 30 200 02 31 400 03 57 121 .. .. .. .. .. .. n y... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why not SIGPIPE for readers of pipe/FIFO?

Hi This is a exercise question from Unix network programming vol2. Why the SIGPIPE signal is generated only for writers when readers disappear. why not it is generated for readers when writer disappears. I guess, if the writer didn't get any response like the reader gets EOF, it will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FIFO size in Solaris

Hi, How do I know the max. size for FIFO(named pipe) on my system. I'm using solaris 10 OS. Is there any comparison chart between message queues and named pipes. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk reading from named pipe (fifo)

I'm trying to read a fifo using awk and comming across some problems. I'm writing to the fifo from multiple processes invoked by GNU Parallel: mkfifo my_fifo awk '{ a = a + $2 } END { for (i in a) print i, a }' my_fifo | sort -nk1 > sorted_output grep -v '^@' massive_file | parallel... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathanhaigh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX fifo concurrent read from a named pipe

I have created a fifo named pipe in solaris, which writes the content of a file, line by line, into pipe as below: $ mkfifo namepipe $ cat books.txt "how to write unix code" "how to write oracle code" $ cat books.txt >> namepipe & I have a readpipe.sh script which reads the named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen mani
2 Replies
IO::Pipe(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					     IO::Pipe(3pm)

NAME
IO::Pipe - supply object methods for pipes SYNOPSIS
use IO::Pipe; $pipe = new IO::Pipe; if($pid = fork()) { # Parent $pipe->reader(); while(<$pipe>) { ... } } elsif(defined $pid) { # Child $pipe->writer(); print $pipe ... } or $pipe = new IO::Pipe; $pipe->reader(qw(ls -l)); while(<$pipe>) { ... } DESCRIPTION
"IO::Pipe" provides an interface to creating pipes between processes. CONSTRUCTOR
new ( [READER, WRITER] ) Creates an "IO::Pipe", which is a reference to a newly created symbol (see the "Symbol" package). "IO::Pipe::new" optionally takes two arguments, which should be objects blessed into "IO::Handle", or a subclass thereof. These two objects will be used for the system call to "pipe". If no arguments are given then method "handles" is called on the new "IO::Pipe" object. These two handles are held in the array part of the GLOB until either "reader" or "writer" is called. METHODS
reader ([ARGS]) The object is re-blessed into a sub-class of "IO::Handle", and becomes a handle at the reading end of the pipe. If "ARGS" are given then "fork" is called and "ARGS" are passed to exec. writer ([ARGS]) The object is re-blessed into a sub-class of "IO::Handle", and becomes a handle at the writing end of the pipe. If "ARGS" are given then "fork" is called and "ARGS" are passed to exec. handles () This method is called during construction by "IO::Pipe::new" on the newly created "IO::Pipe" object. It returns an array of two objects blessed into "IO::Pipe::End", or a subclass thereof. SEE ALSO
IO::Handle AUTHOR
Graham Barr. Currently maintained by the Perl Porters. Please report all bugs to <perl5-porters@perl.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-8 Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 IO::Pipe(3pm)