Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Terminal emulator from scratch. Post 302452915 by Corona688 on Monday 13th of September 2010 11:28:41 AM
Old 09-13-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdini
I have tried to wrap my mind around this particular statement. Does this mean that no terminal based programs can be run successfully from a GUI based application without some special work on the calling command e.g 'system()', or does 'system()' handle this trickery for us. Please enlighten me.
It's not a question of GUI vs non-GUI. The difference between a "window mode" application and a "console mode" application is that the "window mode" application has extra code to talk to an X11 server. It doesn't lack anything a "console" app has.

The dilemma is terminal vs non-terminal. Commands can tell whether their stdin/stdout/stderr is attached to a terminal device or not via the isatty() system call. Nothing but a real or virtual terminal will qualify.

system() doesn't help you arrange a terminal. system() can't even capture the command's output.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

how to use terminal emulator???

hello, can any body tell how to use terminal emulator.... i want to check he serial port communication with the help of that terminal emmulator.... also tell me how to open terminal emmulator.....and how to configure it........and how to use it... I am using fedora core 6..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix from scratch

hi all, i'm trying to write a unix system from scratch (not re-writing the kernel) does anyone have information about that? tips and stuff...?i would appreciate every help, thnks :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filesystem from scratch

Hey, Had anyone tried with writing a new FS - file system ( whether its useful or not, that doesn't matter ) ? I tried one couple of years ago, but that was a fatal failure :( and can't continue working on it since then. :( Anybody got some experience with writing file system from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Tera Terminal Emulator

Hello Expert! :b: Question for you guys, Can anyone tell me how to use terminal emulator on Windows XP to view Solaris config? I have no idea on Solaris and the only thing I could do is to boot it up. Honestly, I have given a tasked to delete all the files and some necessary memory information... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katsloko
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal Emulator

Hi, I was just wondering how to distinguish between the two terms: 1. Terminal emulator (vt100, vt220 and so on) 2. shell command line Then i decided to conclude myself that these 2 are very equivalent. am I right? this actually came to my mind when I was using my HP-UX terminal. I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies
console(7D)							      Devices							       console(7D)

NAME
console - STREAMS-based console interface SYNOPSIS
/dev/console DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/console refers to the system console device. /dev/console should be used for interactive purposes only. Use of /dev/console for logging purposes is discouraged; syslog(3C) or msglog(7D) should be used instead. The identity of this device depends on the EEPROM or NVRAM settings in effect at the most recent system reboot; by default, it is the ``workstation console'' device consisting of the workstation keyboard and frame buffer acting in concert to emulate an ASCII terminal (see wscons(7D)). Regardless of the system configuration, the console device provides asynchronous serial driver semantics so that, in conjunction with the STREAMS line discipline module ldterm(7M), it supports the termio(7I) terminal interface. SEE ALSO
syslog(3C), termios(3C), ldterm(7M), termio(7I), msglog(7D), wscons(7D) NOTES
In contrast to pre-SunOS 5.0 releases, it is no longer possible to redirect I/O intended for /dev/console to some other device. Instead, redirection now applies to the workstation console device using a revised programming interface (see wscons(7D)). Since the system console is normally configured to be the work station console, the overall effect is largely unchanged from previous releases. See wscons(7D) for detailed descriptions of control sequence syntax, ANSI control functions, control character functions and escape sequence functions. SunOS 5.11 23 Apr 1999 console(7D)