Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sort the last names
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sort the last names Post 302452767 by sonu_pal on Monday 13th of September 2010 03:42:19 AM
Old 09-13-2010
i have a input file naming lookup.txt and the data is :

Code:
sonu pal:9897933005:pimpri:19/05/1988:15000
vijay aggarwal:9897933006:akurdi:19/05/1987:20000
ajay singh:9897933007:dapodi:19/05/1986:25000
mahesh rana:9006752312:chinchwad:21/09/1976:50000

and the expected o/p must be like this :

Code:
vijay aggarwal:9897933006:akurdi:19/05/1987:20000
sonu pal:9897933005:pimpri:19/05/1988:15000
mahesh rana:9006752312:chinchwad:21/09/1976:50000
ajay singh:9897933007:dapodi:19/05/1986:25000

the number of entries in a line = 5
total number of entries in a file = 20

Last edited by pludi; 09-13-2010 at 04:51 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort directory names and use only last?

I need help writing a bash script for the windows cygwin environment. I'm not sure if bash is the optimal tool. Perhaps perl would be better? Either would work. I have directories whose names include the date they were created. The directory names are in the format of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort directory with complex numeric file names

I have a directory with a large number (1000s) of files and I need to produce a file listing all the files in the directory ordered "properly" (properly will be explained shortly). The files have the following naming pattern: bul_13_5_228_b.txt bul_1_3_57.txt bul_13_6_229.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdsayre
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I sort the file names in the directory

Hi , I have a list of files in the directory I want to sort based on the file name. But in the middle of filename contains the number based on that I need to sort.Could you suggest me on the same? Example filenames: /user1$ls RS.DEV.ISV.F1.RS.REFDATA.DATA... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen.thumati
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort names in a list by order of importance

Hi, I have multiple list which is arranged by order of importance. I need to do sorting on these lists based on the last name of the user(initial), if user name does not have initial then first name is initial . Important thing is that the last name in the list is important. If there is two or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pratapsingh
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Reverse the order of a list of file names (but not sort them alphabetically or numerically)

Hello all, I have a list of file names in a text document where each file name consists of 4 letters and 3 numbers (for example MACR119). There are 48 file names in the document (they are not in alphabetical or numerical order). I would like to reorder the list of names so that the 48th name is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort html based on .jar, .war file names and still keep text within three groups.

Output from zipdiff GNU EAR comparison tool produces output in html divided into three sections "Added, Removed, Changed". I want the output to be sorted by jar or war file. <html> <body> <table> <tr> <td class="diffs" colspan="2">Added </td> </tr> <tr><td> <ul>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Move & Sort by Name - Kick out Bad File Names & More

I have a dilemma, we have users who are copying files to "directory 1." These images have file names which include the year it was taken. I need to put together a script to do the following: Examine the file naming convention, ensuring it's the proper format (e.g. test-1983_filename-123.tif)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sort a text file based on names in square brackets

Hi all, I have a text file similar to this: Text More text Etc Stuff That Is Needed Etc Etc This contains over 70 entries and each entry has several lines of text below the name in square brackets. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scally
5 Replies
Xmark(1)						      General Commands Manual							  Xmark(1)

NAME
Xmark - summarize x11perf results SYNTAX
Xmark datafile DESCRIPTION
Xmark is a shell script that reads the indicated datafile and compiles a benchmark which it writes to standard output. It writes three numbers: A weighted performance number for the x11perf results. A weighted performance number for a standard SparcStation 1, with SunOS 4.1.2, X11R5 Xsun, and a CG3 dumb Color Frame Buffer. The Xmark, which is the ratio of the two numbers above. The datafile must be an ordinary file, produced by x11perf in the following way: x11perf -display display -v1.3 -rop GXcopy GXxor -all > datafile It is possible to run the GXcopy and GXxor tests separately, as long as they are concatenated to the same output file: x11perf -display display -v1.3 -rop GXcopy -all > datafile x11perf -display display -v1.3 -rop GXxor -all >> datafile or x11perf -display display -v1.3 -rop GXxor -all > datafile x11perf -display display -v1.3 -rop GXcopy -all >> datafile FILES
temp.$$ Temporary file created in the current directory, deleted after use. DIAGNOSTICS
Usage: Xmark datafile Xmark was invoked without arguments or with more than one argument, or with options. Xmark takes no options. Error: data file does not exist or is not ordinary. Xmark cannot find the datafile named on its command line, or the datafile is a special file such as a directory. WARNING: datafile contains nnn, not 441 or 447 'trep' results; The file named on the command line does not seem to be a file generated by x11perf in the expected way. Diagnostic: ERROR: sum of weights =nnn, not equal to 4566.0; There is an internal error in Xmark. SEE ALSO
X(7), x11perf(1), x11perfcomp(1) XFree86 Version 4.7.0 Xmark(1)