Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers replace multiple patterns in a string/filename Post 302452664 by kerppz on Sunday 12th of September 2010 12:35:20 PM
Old 09-12-2010
port2,

That code only returns the string up until the first space.

FilenameABC With Spaces {tag} (tag}.ext -> FilenameABC

I'm trying to get "FilenameABC With Spaces". Just replacing "<space>{<any text>}" with "". Maybe regex is needed (which I was never good at)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help on sed (replace string without changing filename)

I have awhole bunch of files and I want to edit stringA with stringB without changing the filename. I have tried the following sed commands: sed "s/stringA/stringB/g" * This will print the correct results but does not actually save it with the new content of the file. when I do a cat on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoves
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse and replace string in filename

Hi, I've a filename of this format: "XXX_XXX_TXT.TAR.AS". Need to change the name into this format: "XXX_XXX.TAR.AS". This file resides in a directory. I'm ok with using the find command to search and display it. Essentially I just need to replace the string "_TXT.TAR.AS" to ".TAR.AS". Is awk... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: chengwei
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing filename and grabbing specific string patterns

Hi guys...Wow I just composed a huge post and it got erased as I was logged out automatically Anyways I hope someone can help me out here. So the task I'm working on is like this I have a bunch of files that I care about sitting in a directory say $HOME/files Now my job is to go and loop... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rukasetsuna
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace multiple patterns in a particular column only - efficient script

Hi Bigshots, I have a pattern file with two columns. I have another data file. If column 1 in the pattern file appears as the 4th column in the data file, I need to replace it (4th column of data file) with column 2 of the pattern file. If the pattern is found in any other column, it should not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss112233
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple patterns together with retaining the text in between

Hi Team I have the following text in one of the file j1738-abc-system_id(in.value1)-2838 G566-deF-system_id(in.value2)-7489 I want to remove system_id(...) combination completely The output should look like this j1738-abc-in.value1-2838 G566-deF-in.value2-7489 Any help is appreciated... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thierry Henry
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string with multiple lines

Hello Guys, I need to replace a string with multiple lines. For eg:- ABC,DEF,GHI,JKL,MNO,PQR,STU need to convert the above as below:- ABC,DEF, GHI1 GHI2 GHI3, JKL,MNO, PQR1 PQR2 PQR3, STU i have tried using code as:- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Replace Multiple patterns within a list_file with One in target_file

I'm facing a problem 1) I got a list_file intended to be used for inlace replacement like this Replacement pattern ; Matching patterns EXTRACT ___________________ toto ; tutu | tata | tonton | titi bobo ; bibi | baba | bubu | bebe etc. 14000 lines !!! ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpvphd
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple patterns(file) and replace whole line

I am able to grep multiple patterns which stored in a files. However, how could we replace the whole line with either the pattern or new string? For example: pattern_file: *Info in the () is not part of the pattern file. They are the intended name to replace the whole line after the pattern... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxboo
5 Replies
XmRegisterSegmentEncoding(library call) 								   XmRegisterSegmentEncoding(library call)

NAME
XmRegisterSegmentEncoding -- A compound string function that registers a compound text encoding format for a specified font list element tag SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> char * XmRegisterSegmentEncoding( char *fontlist_tag, char *ct_encoding); DESCRIPTION
XmRegisterSegmentEncoding registers a compound text encoding format with the specified font list element tag. The XmCvtXmStringToCT func- tion uses this registry to map the font list tags of compound string segments to compound text encoding formats. Registering a font list tag that already exists in the registry overwrites the original entry. You can unregister a font list tag by passing a NULL value for the ct_encoding parameter. fontlist_tag Specifies the font list element tag to be registered. The tag must be a NULL-terminated ISO8859-1 string. ct_encoding Specifies the compound text character set to be used for segments with the font list tag. The value must be a NULL-terminated ISO8859-1 string. A value of XmFONTLIST_DEFAULT_TAG maps the specified font list tag to the code set of the locale. RETURN
Returns NULL for a new font list tag or the old ct_encoding value for an already registered font list tag. The application is responsible for freeing the storage associated with the returned data (if any) by calling XtFree. RELATED
XmCvtXmStringToCT(3), XmFontList(3), XmMapSegmentEncoding(3), and XmString(3). XmRegisterSegmentEncoding(library call)