Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Non-ASCII char prevents conversion of manpage to plain text Post 302452524 by LessNux on Friday 10th of September 2010 11:13:46 PM
Old 09-11-2010
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcox
LANG=C TERM=lpr man ln >ln.txt

The code presented by cjcox does not work at all. Setting the environment variable TERM to lpr does not seem to change the behavior of man. The man command still outputs non-ASCII characters. Furthermore, because he omitted col, the resultant ln.txt is illegible when opened with KWrite. I wonder if cjcox was just kidding.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ASCII to char convertion

I am writing the script to encrypt and decrypt content of the text file. How can I convert ASCII to characters and backward? I need it for Bourne shell script. Thanks::confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woody
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ascii conversion

after converting my ebcidic file to ascii i get the following output 2097152+0 records in 1797345+1 records out Why is there a difference in number of records. Is the converson chopping off any records. All i am doing is just a conversion using the following script dd if=xaa cbs=152 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rintingtong
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with ASCII conversion

I have a file say "codefile" here ,contains data like this Hi! How are you? I need to covert this data into stram of equivalant ASCII values I wrote follwoing script. #!/bin/bash while read -n1 char do printf "%d" \'$char done < codefile this gives me output ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with ascii to decimal conversion

Hi, Can anyone please help me ascci to decimal conversion in bash I have a file which contains stream of numbers like this,these are ascci values 729711810132973278105991013268971213233 I want to covert it to its actual value like upper code's decimal is "Have a Nice Day!" ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
15 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conversion from EBCDIC to ASCII

when i try to convert a mainframe EBCDIC file to ASCII ,i dont see correct file this is the source file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatvelpula
3 Replies

6. Programming

error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

Compiling xpp (The X Printing Panel) on SL6 (RHEL6 essentially): xpp.cxx: In constructor ‘printFiles::printFiles(int, char**, int&)’: xpp.cxx:200: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ The same error with all c++ constructors - gcc 4.4.4. If anyone can throw any light on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ASCII to UTF-8 conversion

I Am trying to change the file encoding from ASCII to UTF-8 using below command iconv -f ASCII -t UTF-8 <input_file> > <output_file> But the output_file is not actually in UTF-8 format. If I use the file command to check the file encoding it still says ASCII. While converting am not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
5 Replies

8. Programming

Invalid conversion from char* to char

Pointers are seeming to get the best of me and I get that error in my program. Here is the code #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #define REPORTHEADING1 " Employee Pay Hours Gross Tax Net\n" #define REPORTHEADING2 " Name ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Plum
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

Hi, I have a input file which is EBCIDIC and it has packed decimals. Can anyone help me to convert EBCIDIC file to ASCII(Need to convert even Packed decimal values also to normal format). Thanks swapna (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: swapna_1990
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

Hi, We have a mainframe file which is in EBCDIC format.We dont have direct access to mainframe ,client has provided us the mainframe file.The mainframe file is containing pact data(COMP1 ,COMP2 etc) which are unreadble.Can anyone suggest me how to convert this kind of ebcdic file to ascii... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: swapna_1990
11 Replies
col(1)							      General Commands Manual							    col(1)

Name
       col - filter reverse line feeds

Syntax
       col [-options]

Description
       The command reads the standard input and writes the standard output.  It performs the line overlays implied by reverse line feeds (ESC-7 in
       ASCII) and by forward and reverse half line feeds (ESC-9 and ESC-8, respectively).  The command is particularly useful for filtering multi-
       column output made with the command of and for filtering output resulting from the preprocessor.

Although  accepts half line motions in its input, it does not normally output them.  Instead, text that would appear between lines is moved
       to the next lower full line boundary.

The control characters SO (ASCII code 017) and SI (ASCII code 016) are assumed to start and end text in an alternate  character	set.   The
       character  set (primary or alternate) associated with each printing character read is remembered.  On output, SO and SI characters are gen-
       erated where necessary to maintain the correct treatment of each character.

The command normally converts white space to tabs to shorten printing time.  If the -h option is given, this conversion is suppressed.

On input, the only control characters accepted are <space>, <backspace>, <tab>, <return>, <newline>, etc...  The VT character is an  alter-
       nate  form  of  full reverse linefeed, included for compatibility with earlier programs of this type. All other non-printing characters are
       ignored.

Options
       -b     Assumes that the output device does not have backspacing.

-f     Suppresses moving half lines to the next full line.

-h     Suppresses conversion of white space to tabs.

-p     Forces through unchanged any unknown escape sequences that are found in its input. This option should be used with care.

-x     Suppresses conversion of white space to tabs (same as -h).

Restrictions
       Cannot back up more than 128 lines.
       No more than 800 characters, including backspaces, on a line.

See Also
       tbl(1), nroff(1)

col(1)