Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get list of user into an array.. Post 302452069 by pludi on Thursday 9th of September 2010 04:46:10 AM
Old 09-09-2010
To emulate cut:
Code:
open my $group, '<', '/etc/group';
my @groups = map { my @a = split /:/; $a[0] . ':' . $a[2] } <$group>;
close $group;

To create a hash mapped on the group name:
Code:
open my $group, '<', '/etc/group';
my %groups = map { my @a = split /:/; $a[0], $a[2] } <$group>;
close $group;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting data list into a hash array

Begginer alert!! I have just started learning perl and have got stuck. I need to initialize a hash array with values from a list. I've been told to do this using a split command, but its just not happening. Here is the script and output: SCRIPT: #!/bin/perl system("clear"); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: topcat8
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh shell user input and stote it to a array

Dear Friends, I am doing a sh shell script , But I dont have any idea how to read value from user Keyboard and store them to an array .. Is it possible or not I am not also sure in sh shell script ? EX:- #! /bin/sh read DATA echo "DATA -" $DATA echo "DATA -" $DATA echo "DATA... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display values from user input array?

Hi all, I wrote a script that reads inputs from user and store in array named "input". The number of elements in the array is not fixed - determined only after user exit the while loop that reads the array values : x=1 echo "Enter first value" read input while } != "exit" ] do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing values in a list or array

i have a file called file.txt having the following entries. 2321 2311 2313 4213 i wnat to store these values in a list and i want to iterate the list using loop and store it in another list (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dividing user Array by 2

Hello! Im trying to divid the numbers inputed by <STDIN> by 2. This is what I have: print "The input array divided by 2 is as follows:\n"; foreach ((@userArray)/2) {print} But it is not dividing by 2? Any help is valuable!! Ben (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get list of user into an array in perl script

Hi, cut -d: -f1,3 /etc/group >rpt.out I have a doubt in perl. right i am getting list of group user id into rpt.out file. instead i need to store it as an array in perl script. could you please tell me how can i get list of user into an array in perl script.. thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solo123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a scripts to kill idle user for 60 min. & email user list to admin in text file

Folks, I have written one script for following condition by referring some of online post in this forum. Please correct it if I'm missing something in it. (OS: AIX 5.3) List the idle user. (I used whoidle command to list first 15 user and get username, idle time, pid and login time).... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign user input to already declared array

What I am doing is creating a top menu, which a user will select a choice with a number entry. That number corresponds to a string in an array. I then want to assign that response to another array I've already declared. For example: #!/bin/bash colors=(red blue yellow) red=(cherry fire)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akilleez
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to prompt the user to enter an array in tcsh

Hello, I am writing a script that requires the user to enter a string of numbers: ex: 134 345 865 903 This command only allows for one variable to be entered: set "var" = $< and than once I got the array I want to change it to a list with each input on a different line: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smarones
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating a list into a two-dimensional array

hi, total newbie to shell scripting and wondering if some of you guru's can give me a hand on a problem I'm trying to solve. The tmplsnr.a file contains LSNR_51526 db1 db2 LSNR_51527 db3 db4 db5 Summary - depending on which db is set, the script will start the relevant listener... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingy10
5 Replies
GETGROUPLIST(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   GETGROUPLIST(3)

NAME
getgrouplist -- calculate group access list LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int getgrouplist(const char *name, gid_t basegid, gid_t *groups, int *ngroups); DESCRIPTION
The getgrouplist() function reads through the group file and calculates the group access list for the user specified in name. The basegid is automatically included in the groups list. Typically this value is given as the group number from the password file. The resulting group list is returned in the array pointed to by groups. The caller specifies the size of the groups array in the integer pointed to by ngroups; the actual number of groups found is returned in ngroups. RETURN VALUES
The getgrouplist() function returns 0 on success and -1 if the size of the group list is too small to hold all the user's groups. Here, the group array will be filled with as many groups as will fit. FILES
/etc/group group membership list SEE ALSO
setgroups(2), initgroups(3) HISTORY
The getgrouplist() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
October 26, 2014 BSD