Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Really understanding Linux/Unix-Derivatives Post 302452005 by shitson on Wednesday 8th of September 2010 10:19:24 PM
Old 09-08-2010
I've been thinking that - It's more for learning that really using in a Production environment. I really like the Sound of freeBSD so i think it will go LFS > *BSD

Anymore thoughts?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help Understanding a Unix Command

Trying to install something. Can someone explain what this means? chmod -R a+r . chmod -R a+w logo.gif tempdir/ templates_c/ I recognize that file permissions are being changed (chmod), but beyond that, it's Greek to me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris86
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

am a newbie to unix. plz help in understanding this code.

hi everybody. please help me in understanding this code. echo "************* starting job on `date +\"%d/%m/%Y at %T\"` **************" # scriptdir=`dirname $0` . ${scriptdir}/env_params.sh # SHLIB_PATH=${ORACLE_HOME}/lib: export SHLIB_PATH export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokulj
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding UNIX/Linux

Hello: I'm a totally newbie here. My company has UNIX. My development team would like me to learn UNIX and shell scripting. I've worked with Linux in the past, very briefly. I have Ubuntu installed on my laptop. I was wondering whether or not the shell scripting for Linux is the same... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbradshaw
0 Replies

4. Programming

Understanding Linux Kernel

Hi, I have started reading about Linux kernel. The books also explains about the source code here and there. I found a file named head.s in the source which i am not able to understand, it looks like some assembly language. Can anyone confirm this, so that can start looking for assemble... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on understanding this script ( linux)

ORACLE_HOME=/opt/ora10g/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1;export ORACLE_HOME PATH=.:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/usr/bin;export PATH ORACLE_SID=USUP PASS=Figomom#0;export PASS rm /orabkup/USUP/*.Z if ] then echo $PASS | sqlplus system@USUP @/home/ora10g/crons/scripts/hot.sql echo $PASS | sqlplus... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: redologger
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Suggest books for understanding Ubuntu Linux

recommend books to understand ubuntu ...... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vyom
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need little help in understanding UNIX file system.

statement 1 : I see everyone saying Unix follows a tree like hierarchial structure. Statement 2: Unix file system has four blocks 1.boot block 2.super block 3.inodes 4.data block My question is , in which of the above four blocks , the hierarchial structure comes.?? How could we corelate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narendra Eliset
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance understanding a UNIX script

Hello, If I could get some assistance breaking down this Unix script in order to better understand it. A co-worker wrote this script and is no longer with us. I believe this script converts documents into .txt files, but we are trying to edit it so that it converts documents to .pdf automatically... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: B00GS
1 Replies
NEWFS_LFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      NEWFS_LFS(8)

NAME
newfs_lfs -- construct a new LFS file system SYNOPSIS
newfs_lfs [newfs_lfs-options] special DESCRIPTION
newfs_lfs builds a log-structured file system on the specified special device basing its defaults on the information in the disk label. Before running newfs_lfs the disk must be labeled using disklabel(8), the proper fstype is 4.4LFS. Reasonable values for the fsize, bsize, and sgs fields are 1024, 8192, and 7 respectively. The following options define the general layout policies. -A Attempt to compute the appropriate segment size using the formula 4 * bandwidth * access time. The disk is tested for twenty seconds to discover its bandwidth and seek time. -B logical-segment-size The logical segment size of the file system in bytes. If not specified, the segment size is computed by left-shifting the parti- tion label's block size by the amount indicated in the partition table's segshift. If the disklabel indicates a zero block size or segment shift, a compile-time default segment size of 1M is used. -b block-size The block size of the file system in bytes. If not specified, the block size is taken from the partition label, or if the parti- tion label indicates 0, a compile-time default of 8K is used. -F Force creation of an LFS even on a partition labeled as another type. newfs_lfs will use compile-time default values for block and fragment size, and segment shift, unless these are overridden by command-line flags. -f fragment-size The fragment size of the file system in bytes. If not specified, the fragment size is taken from the partition label, or if the partition label indicates 0, a compile-time default of 1K is used. -I interleave Specify the interleave between segments. The default is zero. -i The size of an inode block, in bytes. The default is to use the same size as a fragment, or in a v1 filesystem, the same size as a data block. -L Create a log-structured file system (LFS). This is the default, and this option is provided for compatibility only. -M nsegs Specify lfs_minfreeseg, the number of segments left out of the amount allocated to user data. A higher number increases cleaner performance, while a lower number gives more usable space. The default is based on the size of the filesystem, either 5% of the total number of segments or 20 segments, whichever is larger. -m free space % The percentage of space reserved from normal users; the minimum free space threshold. The default value used is 10%. -N Do not actually create the filesystem. -O offset Start the first segment this many sectors from the beginning of the partition. The default is zero. -R nsegs Specify lfs_resvseg, the number of segments set aside for the exclusive use of the cleaner. A larger figure reduces the likeli- hood of running out of clean segments, but if lfs_resvseg is too close to lfs_minfreeseg, the cleaner will run without ceasing when the filesystem becomes close to full. The default is the larger of 15 or the quantity lfs_minfreeseg / 2 + 1 . -r ident For a v2 filesystem, specify the roll-forward identifier for the filesystem. This identifier, a 32-bit numeric quantity, should be different from that of any LFS that may previously have existed on the same disk. By default the identifier is chosen at ran- dom. -s size The size of the file system in sectors. -v version Make a filesystem with the specified disk layout version. Valid options are 1 or 2 (the default). Note, however, that LFS ver- sion 1 is deprecated. SEE ALSO
disktab(5), disklabel(8), diskpart(8), dumplfs(8) M. Seltzer, K. Bostic, M. McKusick, and C. Staelin, "An Implementation of a Log-Structured File System for UNIX", Proceedings of the Winter 1993 USENIX Conference, pp. 315-331, January 25-29, 1993. J. Matthews, D. Roselli, A. Costello, R. Wang, and T. Anderson, "Improving the Performance of Log-Structured File Systems with Adaptive Methods", Proceedings of the Sixteenth ACM SOSP, October 1997. HISTORY
A newlfs command appeared in 4.4BSD, and was renamed to newfs_lfs for NetBSD 1.4. BSD
July 12, 2001 BSD