Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Really understanding Linux/Unix-Derivatives Post 302452004 by stu-nix on Wednesday 8th of September 2010 10:15:33 PM
Old 09-08-2010
Welcome to Linux From Scratch!

If you haven't run freebsd try that as well.

freebsd.org
This User Gave Thanks to stu-nix For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help Understanding a Unix Command

Trying to install something. Can someone explain what this means? chmod -R a+r . chmod -R a+w logo.gif tempdir/ templates_c/ I recognize that file permissions are being changed (chmod), but beyond that, it's Greek to me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris86
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

am a newbie to unix. plz help in understanding this code.

hi everybody. please help me in understanding this code. echo "************* starting job on `date +\"%d/%m/%Y at %T\"` **************" # scriptdir=`dirname $0` . ${scriptdir}/env_params.sh # SHLIB_PATH=${ORACLE_HOME}/lib: export SHLIB_PATH export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokulj
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding UNIX/Linux

Hello: I'm a totally newbie here. My company has UNIX. My development team would like me to learn UNIX and shell scripting. I've worked with Linux in the past, very briefly. I have Ubuntu installed on my laptop. I was wondering whether or not the shell scripting for Linux is the same... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbradshaw
0 Replies

4. Programming

Understanding Linux Kernel

Hi, I have started reading about Linux kernel. The books also explains about the source code here and there. I found a file named head.s in the source which i am not able to understand, it looks like some assembly language. Can anyone confirm this, so that can start looking for assemble... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on understanding this script ( linux)

ORACLE_HOME=/opt/ora10g/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1;export ORACLE_HOME PATH=.:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/usr/bin;export PATH ORACLE_SID=USUP PASS=Figomom#0;export PASS rm /orabkup/USUP/*.Z if ] then echo $PASS | sqlplus system@USUP @/home/ora10g/crons/scripts/hot.sql echo $PASS | sqlplus... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: redologger
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Suggest books for understanding Ubuntu Linux

recommend books to understand ubuntu ...... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vyom
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need little help in understanding UNIX file system.

statement 1 : I see everyone saying Unix follows a tree like hierarchial structure. Statement 2: Unix file system has four blocks 1.boot block 2.super block 3.inodes 4.data block My question is , in which of the above four blocks , the hierarchial structure comes.?? How could we corelate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narendra Eliset
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance understanding a UNIX script

Hello, If I could get some assistance breaking down this Unix script in order to better understand it. A co-worker wrote this script and is no longer with us. I believe this script converts documents into .txt files, but we are trying to edit it so that it converts documents to .pdf automatically... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: B00GS
1 Replies
cr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cr(1)

NAME
cr - converts text files between nix EOL and dos EOL SYNOPSIS
cr - | + <input file> <output file> DESCRIPTION
Text files, such as tle files, that come from a dos source usualy have the ^M symbol at the end of every line. Cr converts files between the dos newline format and the normal *nix newline format by stripping the ^M to convert dos to *nix, using the '-' option, or adding ^M to a *nix file to create the proper dos file when the '+' option is used. Although this extra character is not often a problem, programs like seesat5, which are data driven will encounter parsing problems when the extra character is present. It is these problems that cr is intended to repair. Options - | + One or the other of these options is required. The '-' option is used to remove ^M from all newlines found in the dos file. The '+' option is used to add ^M to every newline found in a *nix file. input file Fully delineated path to the input file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standard input is not used. output file Fully delineated path to the output file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standart output is not used. SEE ALSO
seesat5(1), seesat5(7), SEESAT5.INI(5), tle(5) BUGS
Cr is not an inteligent program. It methodicaly replaces/removes the offending character when it finds it in the correct context. Newline sequences found in contexts other than 'newline' will be replaced/removed just like those found in the proper context. Passing a binary file through cr is not advised, for this reason. Send all inqueries to Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>. Debian Linux 2 April 96 cr(1)