Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to block FTP ,SMTP,Telnet services? Post 302451799 by pinga123 on Wednesday 8th of September 2010 05:28:56 AM
Old 09-08-2010
During this learning phase i came across a strange problem.

I was just checking the configuration file of /etc/xinetd.d/krb5-telnet and i thought of enabling the telnet.
I modified the configuration file accordingly and restarted the server.
Code:
# cat /etc/xinetd.d/krb5-telnet
# default: off
# description: The kerberized telnet server accepts normal telnet sessions, \
# but can also use Kerberos 5 authentication.
service telnet
{
flags = REUSE
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/kerberos/sbin/telnetd
log_on_failure += USERID
disable = no
}

Now i can able to telnet to the server from any other machine But the problem is it is not allowing me to login with correct root credentials.

What could be the issue here?

I m able to login with ssh protocol.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

FTP or Telnet

Dumb question I'm sure but how on earth do I transfer files from a sco unix machine to my windows 2000 machine. I'm typing commands on my Win2000 machine. All I can seem to do is move files around on the unix system? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timbash
8 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

One accout for FTP other to TELNET

Hi All, If I want to have two user accounts from the same grop in UNIX Solaries. However, I want one of them to be used only for FTP while the other for TELNET. Can anybody tell me how to do that? Best Regards (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: omran
13 Replies

3. Linux

ftp telnet enable

hi , i have jsut installed linux 9.0 , but i can not ftp or telnet to the system . i have installed the ftp and the telnet server during installation . i have also configured the files to enable the ftp and telnet , the ftp and the telnet daemons are running , but when i do ftp : ftp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppass
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating telnet and ftp

Hi, I want to automate FTP. I have a fair idea that this can be done using expect scripting. But I dont how to do it. Please, can anyone give me an example of how to do it in Unix. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet smtp and email in batch

I can do the following steps on my UNIX box interactively, but cannot send an email with a script. Can someone help? I need to send an email or some other notification when a cron job fails. telnet xx.yy.zz.ww 25 helo mail from: 123@123.com rcpt to: my@email.net data subject: email test... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ejaggers
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

telnet smtp script

Hi, I have a mysql backup script located in crontab. I need to inform system administrator if the backup fail by telnet to smtp to send failure notification. ANyone got clue on how to achieve that? cheers. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bulkbiz
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating mailing via telnet to smtp

Hi, I am trying to write a ksh script to send an attachment via telnet to an SMTP server. I'm using MKS Toolkit. mail, mailx, sendmail, nc are not working on the server where I have MKS Toolkit installed. If I type the following from the command prompt I receive an email: telnet x.com... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dukeEarth
0 Replies

8. SCO

FTP Services

HI Guys i have a problem with my ftp site, on sco open server, when my users trying pulling reports, it gives them permission denied, it was working then suddenly stopped out of no where, i would to know how can i stop and start the ftp service to see if it will refresh before i can restart the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: that-guy
1 Replies

9. AIX

UNIX script with smtp and telnet

hi, i have a problem , I'm creating a script that send a mail with telnet . via command line it's ok,but i create the .sh i have problem . this a .sh telnet open mysmtp 25 HELO sleep 15 MAIL FROM:<Email> sleep 15 RCPT TO:<email> sleep 15 DATA SUBJECT : PROVA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cescofran76
3 Replies

10. Solaris

NIS/smtp services issue on Solaris 11

Hi, Few services not starting on new build Solaris 11 non-global zone. I uninstalled zone and reinstalled and still same issue, while global zone is working fine. smpt service is going into maintenance mode and /var/svc/log/network-smtp:sendmail.log shows that it tries and then dead ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies
RXTELNET(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       RXTELNET(1)

NAME
rxtelnet -- start a telnet and forward X-connections. SYNOPSIS
rxtelnet [-l username] [-k] [-t telnet_args] [-x xterm_args] [-K kx_args] [-w term_emulator] [-b telnet_program] [-n] [-v] host [port] DESCRIPTION
The rxtelnet program starts an xterm window with a telnet to host host. From this window you will also be able to run X clients that will be able to connect securely to your X server. If port is given, that port will be used instead of the default. If setting up the X forwarding failes, rxtelnet will still telnet in to the remote host, but without X forwarding. The supported options are: -l Log in on the remote host as user username. -k Disables keep-alives. -t Send telnet_args as arguments to telnet. -x Send xterm_args as arguments to xterm. -X Send kx_args as arguments to kx. -w Use term_emulator instead of xterm. -b Use telnet_program instead of telnet. -n Do not start any terminal emulator. -v Be verbose. EXAMPLE
To login from host foo (where your display is) to host bar, you might do the following. 1. On foo: rxtelnet bar 2. You will get a new window with a telnet to bar. In this window you will be able to start X clients. SEE ALSO
kx(1), rxterm(1), telnet(1), tenletxr(1), kxd(8) KTH_KRB March 7, 2004 KTH_KRB