Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: user simple password SLES
Operating Systems Linux SuSE user simple password SLES Post 302451478 by john1212 on Tuesday 7th of September 2010 03:22:18 AM
Old 09-07-2010
Hi,
You found information in files /usr/share/doc/pam*
maybe ??minlen??
you must edit a file in /etc/pam.d
This User Gave Thanks to john1212 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user Id vs Password

Hello out there in unix.com land. I am Cerberus and this is my first post. I am brand new to Unix and i have a quesiton for you all. Relating to the Unix Password File Setup, what is: User ID? Password? any insite comparing one to the other as far as specifics would be greatly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cerberus
2 Replies

2. AIX

changing user password

I have 02 servers: - Linux RHEL AS 3 (server1) - AIX 5.2 (server2) Running the command rsh server2 passwd derje from the server1 to change derje user password on server2, give me this error: 3004-709 Error while changing the password for "derje" Can somebody help me ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayge
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp and user/password

I know the typical way to script automate an ftp session is to pass all of the commands to ftp, with something 'like' the following: echo USER $user echo PASS $pass My question concerns other methods or tricks people have used so that the username and ESPECIALLY the password are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeyg
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password verification verify password of a user for only first 8 characters

Helo , I m using linux pam library for user and its password authentication. I m creating new user and giving its password.I m giving password of 10 characters.now when I login in as that newly created user its ask me $ su - ram Password: You are required to change your password immediately... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
12 Replies

5. SuSE

SLES 11 Switch user problem

Hi, I am using SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64), PATCHLEVEL = 0 as NIS server. All client is having SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64), PATCHLEVEL = 0. All system are configured to work in GUI. When NIS user say 'a' locks system, and user 'b' wants to login to the same system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sachingujrathi
1 Replies

6. SuSE

SLES 9 vs SLES 11 hard drive cache read timings are diffrent

Can anyone give me a little clue on why the hard drive cache read timings on sles 9 is better then sles 11? The same hardware was used in both test. I even deleted the ata_generic module from initrd. The speed difference is 10MB vs 5 MB Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3junior
1 Replies

7. SuSE

SLES 11.2 slow SSH password prompt

We are having an issue with slow password prompts via SSH login on all of our SLES 11.2 boxes. The output from a ssh -v login attempt shows a delay here: debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT receivedThis issue only happens on the first logon of the day; subsequent logons are normal. Adding the client's... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_aix
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to scp File from root user in one server to say crt user in another server and avoid password?

Can someone help in writing some script through which I can transfer file (scp) from root user in abc server to crt user in hfg server and can give the crt user password in script itself so that it doesn't prompt me every time for password (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bug the vps by using simple user acces.

I want to bug and make lag in the vps using commands on linux by a normal user, SSH on centos 6. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: [xEF]Danger
1 Replies
PAM-AUTH-UPDATE(8)					      System Manager's Manual						PAM-AUTH-UPDATE(8)

NAME
pam-auth-update - manage PAM configuration using packaged profiles SYNOPSIS
pam-auth-update [--package [--remove profile [profile...]]] [--force] DESCRIPTION
pam-auth-update is a utility that permits configuring the central authentication policy for the system using pre-defined profiles as sup- plied by PAM module packages. Profiles shipped in the /usr/share/pam-configs/ directory specify the modules, with options, to enable; the preferred ordering with respect to other profiles; and whether a profile should be enabled by default. Packages providing PAM modules reg- ister their profiles at install time by calling pam-auth-update --package. Selection of profiles is done using the standard debconf inter- face. The profile selection question will be asked at `medium' priority when packages are added or removed, so no user interaction is required by default. Users may invoke pam-auth-update directly to change their authentication configuration. The script makes every effort to respect local changes to /etc/pam.d/common-*. Local modifications to the list of module options will be preserved, and additions of modules within the managed portion of the stack will cause pam-auth-update to treat the config files as locally modified and not make further changes to the config files unless given the --force option. If the user specifies that pam-auth-update should override local configuration changes, the locally-modified files will be saved in /etc/pam.d/ with a suffix of .pam-old. OPTIONS
--package Indicate that the caller is a package maintainer script; lowers the priority of debconf questions to `medium' so that the user is not prompted by default. --remove profile [profile...] Remove the specified profiles from the system configuration. pam-auth-update --remove should be used to remove profiles from the configuration before the modules they reference are removed from disk, to ensure that PAM is in a consistent and usable state at all times during package upgrades or removals. --force Overwrite the current PAM configuration, without prompting. This option must not be used by package maintainer scripts; it is intended for use by administrators only. FILES
/etc/pam.d/common-* Global configuration of PAM, affecting all installed services. /usr/share/pam-configs/ Package-supplied authentication profiles. AUTHOR
Steve Langasek <steve.langasek@canonical.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008 Canonical Ltd. SEE ALSO
PAM(7), pam.d(5), debconf(7) Debian 08/23/2008 PAM-AUTH-UPDATE(8)