Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HELP: If Doesn't Work in AWK
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting HELP: If Doesn't Work in AWK Post 302451419 by Marcelo de Brit on Monday 6th of September 2010 10:41:07 PM
Old 09-06-2010
Still Not Working. . .

Hi!

Thank you for your reply!

I tried your suggestion here and, unfortunately, it did not work. . .

See here the output:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9224/imagefd.png

I used the code you provided from the command line:

Code:
awk -v col1=$3 -v col2=$13 '{ if($(col1) != "-" && $(col2) != "-") { print; }}' all.dat

On the code above, I set up col1 with the third column and col2 with the thirteenth column of the dataset I have here. Therefore, if anyone of those columns have a "-", then, that column value should be discarded, as well as the corresponding line.

As you can see on the image, there are lines that have a thirteenth column (the last column) with a "-" and are printed and they should not be printed.

Quote:
It appears that you are trying to take COL1 and COL2 from the environment;
Then, what should I do to set up COL1 and COL2 from the environment?

Thank you so much for your reply!

Marcelo

---------- Post updated at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcwayx
I test your code in my env (CYGWIN +GNU AWK 3.1.8) without problem.

Agree with agama, use below code, you needn't update anything in reg.awk
Code:
c1=3 
C2=13

awk -v COL1=$c1 -v COL2=$c2  -f ./reg.awk all.dat

Hi!

I tried what you said and I got this as a result:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4959/image2ke.png

I used this code from the command line:

Code:
awk -v COL1=$3 -v COL2=$13  -f ~/reg.awk all.dat

As you can see on the image, there are characters missing on the countries' names and the first and second columns are mixed, let alone that there are values of the thirteenth column that are printed even though those values are the no-value marker "-".

Thank you for your reply!

Marcelo

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't this work?

cat .servers | while read LINE; do ssh jason@$LINE $1 done exit 1 ./command.ksh "ls -l ~jason" Why does this ONLY iterate on the first server in the list? It's not doing the command on all the servers in the list, what am I missing? Thanks! JP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpeery
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -v -- Why doesn't my example work?

Hi. I've been playing around a bit. This isn't for any practical purpose-- it's really just a theoretical exercise. I wrote this little thing: foreach num ( 6 5 4 ) awk -v "number=$num" 'BEGIN{for(x=0;x<$number;x++) printf "-"; printf "\n"}' end I would expect the following output: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Can anyone tell me why this doesn't work?

If there exists a field in stdin, print it, otherwise, print hello..... These print nothing: cat /dev/null | awk '{if ( length > 0 ) print $1; else print "hello"}' cat /dev/null | awk '{if ( $1 ) print $1; else print "hello"}'But the scripts work if I run them directly in a terminal: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksheller
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk split doesn't work for empty delimiter

Does anyone know how will I make awk's split work with empty or null separator/delimiter? echo ABCD | awk '{ split($0,arr,""); print arr; }' I need output like: A B C D I am under HP-UX (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk -- why doesn't my min work?

So, I have a files with entries in this format: servername,username,sub_username,useless_datapoint,mail_size So, a few sample lines: server_a,bob,jane,useless,112351 server_a,bob,jim,useless,421193 server_a,bob,bob,useless,0029385 server_a,karen,will,useless,112351... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why doesn't this work?

find . -name "05_scripts" -type d -exec mv -f {}/'*.aep\ Logs' {}/.LogFiles \; Returns this failure: mv: rename ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/*.aep\ Logs to ./019_0120_WS_WH_gate_insideTEST/05_scripts/.LogFiles/*.aep\ Logs: No such file or directory I don't know why it's trying... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why my awk doesn't work?

root@SDP_Wildcat_Pass-3-C1:~# cat /proc/driver/rtc rtc_time : 05:29:40 rtc_date : 2014-12-19 alrm_time : 01:51:53 alrm_date : 2014-12-20 alarm_IRQ : no alrm_pending : no update IRQ enabled : no periodic IRQ enabled : no periodic IRQ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

-ne 0 doesn't work -le does

Hi, I am using korn shell. until ] do echo "\$# = " $# echo "$1" shift done To the above script, I passed 2 parameters and the program control doesn't enter inside "until" loop. If I change it to until ] then it does work. Why numeric comparison is not working with -ne and works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
3 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD