Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting lines for each application Post 302451408 by methyl on Monday 6th of September 2010 09:41:17 PM
Old 09-06-2010
Because the output from "ps -ef" varies widely in different variants of Unix and Linux it would really help to see a sample command and matching output from your particular system.
Please highlight in the sample output what constitutes "one App" for the purposes of counting.
We need to know where "App" can be found in "ps -ef" .

Last edited by methyl; 09-06-2010 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: more

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting lines and files

Hi experts, First of all thanks for all your help. How can i count the lines within a text file and send this number to another text file? And by the way how can i count the number of files inside a tape ("/dev/rtp") that as one pattern (Ex. "/CTA/") and send this number to a text file? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorge.ferreira
6 Replies

2. Linux

counting the number of lines

Hello, I have afile which begins with a few urls on multiple lines and then there is listing of some information on separate lines. The listing begins with the word Name on a given line followed by teh actual list. I want to count the number of lines in this file after the line having... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nayeemmz
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying/ counting lines

I have a file called xx with the env redirected into it 5 times: env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx I have to read an input file (here: xx) and look for occurrences of the current user who is executing this script. Once finding an occurrence of the username I have to take that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aga
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying/ counting lines

I have a file called xx with the env redirected into it 5 times: env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx I have to read an input file (here: xx) and look for occurrences of the current user who is executing this script. Once finding an occurrence of the username I have to take that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aga
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines between two patterns

Hi Guys, I have a file as follows: wwe khfgv jfo wwe jhgfd wwe wwe hoaha hao lkahe wwe (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting similar lines

Hi, I have a little problem with counting lines. I know similar topics from this forum, but they don't resolve my problem. I have file with lines like this: 2009-05-25 16:55:32,143 some text some regular expressions ect. 2009-05-25 16:55:32,144 some text. 2009-05-28 18:15:12,148 some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcinnnn
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete # of Lines after counting

I'm trying to write a script to clean up log file automatically when it reaches 1000 lines. I can't get this to work..can some help me please :) Server: SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-53 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-T12 #!/bin/ksh #file reference file=`echo "$HOME/support/moe/b.tc"` #linecount... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe458
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed counting lines

Hi, I'm using the command: sed -n '$=' $1 on a sh script on AIX. This script is used to count the number of lines of files. If the file has no lines at all the command doesn't return nothing. I need the command to return 0 when the file has no lines at all. How can I achieve this? Best... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jppedroso
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting # of lines

Counting number of lines: sp I am trying to figure out a script to count the number of text files in cywig and have it give me a number (as the answer) any help would be appreciated. I am new here, so be gentle :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unicksjp
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tailing and counting lines

tail -f /var/log/syslog | egrep -c FATAL is there a way to do the above and actually have the number of lines matching the pattern increment as it is logged to the log file? for instance, when you invoke a command like the one i just posted, you'll not get the total lines unless you do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
App::CLI(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       App::CLI(3)

NAME
App::CLI - Dispatcher module for command line interface programs SYNOPSIS
package MyApp; use base 'App::CLI'; # the DISPATCHER of your App # it's not necessary putting the dispather # on the top level of your App package main; MyApp->dispatch; # call dispather in where you want package MyApp::List; use base qw(App::CLI::Command); # any (SUB)COMMAND of your App use constant options => qw( "h|help" => "help", "verbose" => "verbose", 'n|name=s' => 'name', ); use constant subcommands => qw(User Nickname type); # if you want subcommands # automatically dispatch to subcommands # when invoke $ myapp list [user|nickname|--type] # note 'type' lower case in first char # is subcommand of old genre which is deprecated sub run { my ($self, @args) = @_; print "verbose" if $self->{verbose}; my $name = $self->{name}; # get arg following long option --name if ($self->{help}) { # if $ myapp list --help or $ $ myapp list -h # just only output PODs } else { # do something when imvoking $ my app list # without subcommand and --help } } package MyApp::List::User; use base qw(App::CLI::Command); use constant options => ( "h|help" => "help", ); sub run { my ($self,@args) = @_; # code for listing user } pakcage MyApp::List::Nickname; use base qw(App::CLI::Command); use constant options => ( "sort=s" => "sort", ); sub run { my ($self,@args) = @_; # code for listing nickname } package MyApp::List::type; # old genre of subcommand could not be cascading infinitely use base qw(MyApp::List); # should inherit its parents command sub run { my ($self, @args); # run to here when invoking $ myapp list --type } package MyApp::Help; use base 'App::CLI::Command::Help'; use constant options => ( 'verbose' => 'verbose', ); sub run { my ($self, @arg) = @_; # do something $self->SUPER(@_); # App::CLI::Command::Help would output PDOs of each command } DESCRIPTION
"App::CLI" dispatches CLI (command line interface) based commands into command classes. It also supports subcommand and per-command options. get_opt([@config], %opt_map) give options map, process by Getopt::Long::Parser interface of dispatcher cmd_map($cmd) find package name of subcommand in constant %alias if it's finded, return ucfirst of the package name, otherwise, return ucfirst of $cmd itself. get_cmd($cmd, @arg) return subcommand of first level via $ARGV[0] SEE ALSO
App::CLI::Command Getopt::Long AUTHORS
Chia-liang Kao <clkao@clkao.org> Cornelius Lin <cornelius.howl@gmail.com> shelling <navyblueshellingford@gmail.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2005-2006 by Chia-liang Kao <clkao@clkao.org>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See <http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html> perl v5.16.2 2010-12-04 App::CLI(3)