Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Transpose columns to Rows
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Transpose columns to Rows Post 302451310 by rdcwayx on Monday 6th of September 2010 09:42:45 AM
Old 09-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindj80
i have a file with recurring fields

Start
A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5
End

Start
A 11
B 12
C 23
D 25
E 21
End

I would like to convert
A B C D E
1 2 3 4 5
11 12 23 25 21
Follow radoulov's code:

Code:
awk '/Start/ {i++;a=1;next} /End/{a=0;next} {if (a==1) print > "file" i}' infile

join file* |awk 'END {
  for (i = 0; ++i <= NF;)
    for (j = 0; ++j <= NR;)
        printf "%s", _[j, i] (j < NR ? FS : RS)
    }
{
  for (i = 0; ++i <= NF;)
    _[NR, i] = $i
    }'

Last edited by rdcwayx; 09-06-2010 at 10:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rows to Columns - File Transpose

Hi I have an input file and I want to transpose it but I need to take care that if any field is missing for a record it should be popoulated with space for that field - using a shell script INFILE ---------- emp=1 sal=2 loc=abc emp=2 sal=21 sal=22 loc=xyz emp=5 loc=abc OUTFILE... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 46019
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose multipe columns to rows and adding headers

Hi, I found the following awk script to transpose multiple (3) columns to multiple rows: #=== BEGIN {FS=","} { for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) { arr=$i; if(nf<= NF) nf=NF; } nr=NR } END { for(i=1;i<=nf;i++) { (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose columns to Rows : Big data

Hi, I did read a few posts on the subjects, tried out a few solutions, but did not solve my problem. https://www.unix.com/302121568-post11.html https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/137953-large-file-columns-into-rows-etc-4.html Please help. Problem very similar to the second link... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose Rows Into Columns

I'm aware there are a lot of resources dedicated to the question of transposing rows and columns, but I'm a total newbie at this and the task appears to be beyond me. I have 40 text files with content that looks like this: Dokument 1 von 146 Orange County Register (California) June 26, 2010... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spindoctor
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

transpose rows to columns

Any tips on how I can awk the input data to display the desired output per below? Thanking you in advance. input test data: 2 2010-02-16 10:00:00 111111111111 bytes 99999999999 bytes 90% 4 2010-02-16 12:00:00 333333333333 bytes 77777777777 bytes 88% 5 2010-02-16 11:00:00... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose Data from Columns to rows

Hello. very new to shell scripting and would like to know if anyone could help me. I have data thats being pulled into a txt file and currently have to manually transpose the data which is taking a long time to do. here is what the data looks like. Server1 -- Date -- Other -- value... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mikes88
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Columns to Rows - Transpose - Special Condition

Hi Friends, Hope all is well. I have an input file like this a gene1 10 b gene1 2 c gene2 20 c gene3 10 d gene4 5 e gene5 6 Steps to reach output. 1. Print unique values of column1 as column of the matrix, which will be a b c (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to transpose every 7 rows into columns

input: a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6 a7 b1 b2 b3 .. b7 .. z1 .. z7 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose rows to columns complex

Input: IN,A,1 IN,B,3 IN,B,2 IN,C,7 BR,A,1 BR,A,5 BR,C,9 AR,C,9 Output: CNTRY,A,B,C IN,1,5,7 BR,6,0,9 AR,0,0,9 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: unme
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Transpose rows to certain columns

Hello, I have the following data and I want to use awk to transpose each value to a certain column , so in case the value is not available the column should be empty. Example: Box Name: BoxA Weight: 1 Length :2 Depth :3 Color: red Box Name: BoxB Weight: 3 Length :4 Color: Yellow... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahman.ahmed
5 Replies
BB-REP.CGI(1)						      General Commands Manual						     BB-REP.CGI(1)

NAME
bb-rep.cgi - CGI front-end to bbgen reporting SYNOPSIS
bb-rep.cgi [--noclean] [bbgen-options] DESCRIPTION
bb-rep.cgi is invoked as a CGI script via the bb-rep.sh CGI wrapper. It triggers the generation of a Xymon availability report for the timeperiod specified by the CGI paramaters. bb-rep.cgi is passed a QUERY_STRING environment variable with the following parameters: start-mon (Start month of the report) start-day (Start day-of-month of the report) start-yr (Start year of the report) end-mon (End month of the report) end-day (End day-of-month of the report) end-yr (End year of the report) style (Report style) The following non-standard parameters are handled by the bbgen version of bb-rep.cgi: suburl (Page in report to go to, if not the top page) The "month" parameters must be specified as the three-letter english month name abbreviation: Jan, Feb, Mar ... Start- and end-days are in the range 1..31; the start- and end-year must be specified including century (e.g. "2003"). End-times beyond the current time are silently replaced with the current time. The generated report will include data for the start- and end-days, i.e. the report will begin at 00:00:00 of the start-day, and end at 23:59:59 of the end-day. The "style" parameter is passed directly to bbgen(1) and should be "crit", "non-crit" or "all". Other values result in undefined behaviour. All of the processing involved in generating the report is done by invoking bbgen(1) with the proper "--reportopts" option. OPTIONS
--noclean Do not clean the BBREP directory of old reports. Makes the report-tool go a bit faster - instead, you can clean up the BBREP direc- tory e.g. via a cron-job. --env=FILENAME Load the environment from FILENAME before executing the CGI. bbgen-options All other options passed to bb-rep.cgi are passed on to the bbgen(1) program building the report files. FILES
$BBHOME/web/report_header HTML template header for the report request form $BBHOME/web/report_footer HTML template footer for the report request form $BBHOME/web/report_form HTML template report request form ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
BBGENREPOPTS bbgen options passed by default to the bb-rep.cgi. This happens in the bb-rep.sh wrapper. BBHOME Home directory of the Xymon server installation BBREP Directory where generated reports are stored. This directory must be writable by the userid executing the CGI script, typically "www", "apache" or "nobody". Default: $BBHOME/www/rep/ BBREPURL The URL prefix to use when accessing the reports via a browser. Default: $BBWEB/rep SEE ALSO
bbgen(1), bb-hosts(5), hobbitserver.cfg(5) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 BB-REP.CGI(1)