Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Transpose columns to Rows
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Transpose columns to Rows Post 302451310 by rdcwayx on Monday 6th of September 2010 09:42:45 AM
Old 09-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindj80
i have a file with recurring fields

Start
A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5
End

Start
A 11
B 12
C 23
D 25
E 21
End

I would like to convert
A B C D E
1 2 3 4 5
11 12 23 25 21
Follow radoulov's code:

Code:
awk '/Start/ {i++;a=1;next} /End/{a=0;next} {if (a==1) print > "file" i}' infile

join file* |awk 'END {
  for (i = 0; ++i <= NF;)
    for (j = 0; ++j <= NR;)
        printf "%s", _[j, i] (j < NR ? FS : RS)
    }
{
  for (i = 0; ++i <= NF;)
    _[NR, i] = $i
    }'

Last edited by rdcwayx; 09-06-2010 at 10:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rows to Columns - File Transpose

Hi I have an input file and I want to transpose it but I need to take care that if any field is missing for a record it should be popoulated with space for that field - using a shell script INFILE ---------- emp=1 sal=2 loc=abc emp=2 sal=21 sal=22 loc=xyz emp=5 loc=abc OUTFILE... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 46019
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose multipe columns to rows and adding headers

Hi, I found the following awk script to transpose multiple (3) columns to multiple rows: #=== BEGIN {FS=","} { for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) { arr=$i; if(nf<= NF) nf=NF; } nr=NR } END { for(i=1;i<=nf;i++) { (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose columns to Rows : Big data

Hi, I did read a few posts on the subjects, tried out a few solutions, but did not solve my problem. https://www.unix.com/302121568-post11.html https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/137953-large-file-columns-into-rows-etc-4.html Please help. Problem very similar to the second link... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose Rows Into Columns

I'm aware there are a lot of resources dedicated to the question of transposing rows and columns, but I'm a total newbie at this and the task appears to be beyond me. I have 40 text files with content that looks like this: Dokument 1 von 146 Orange County Register (California) June 26, 2010... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spindoctor
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

transpose rows to columns

Any tips on how I can awk the input data to display the desired output per below? Thanking you in advance. input test data: 2 2010-02-16 10:00:00 111111111111 bytes 99999999999 bytes 90% 4 2010-02-16 12:00:00 333333333333 bytes 77777777777 bytes 88% 5 2010-02-16 11:00:00... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose Data from Columns to rows

Hello. very new to shell scripting and would like to know if anyone could help me. I have data thats being pulled into a txt file and currently have to manually transpose the data which is taking a long time to do. here is what the data looks like. Server1 -- Date -- Other -- value... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mikes88
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Columns to Rows - Transpose - Special Condition

Hi Friends, Hope all is well. I have an input file like this a gene1 10 b gene1 2 c gene2 20 c gene3 10 d gene4 5 e gene5 6 Steps to reach output. 1. Print unique values of column1 as column of the matrix, which will be a b c (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to transpose every 7 rows into columns

input: a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 a6 a7 b1 b2 b3 .. b7 .. z1 .. z7 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose rows to columns complex

Input: IN,A,1 IN,B,3 IN,B,2 IN,C,7 BR,A,1 BR,A,5 BR,C,9 AR,C,9 Output: CNTRY,A,B,C IN,1,5,7 BR,6,0,9 AR,0,0,9 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: unme
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Transpose rows to certain columns

Hello, I have the following data and I want to use awk to transpose each value to a certain column , so in case the value is not available the column should be empty. Example: Box Name: BoxA Weight: 1 Length :2 Depth :3 Color: red Box Name: BoxB Weight: 3 Length :4 Color: Yellow... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahman.ahmed
5 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)