Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to format a number in bash Post 302451118 by agama on Sunday 5th of September 2010 08:32:40 PM
Old 09-05-2010
In bash
Code:
y=$(printf "%06d" 13)

will result in 000013 assigned to y. I'd not recommend maintaining your value this way, but use printf to format your filename with whatever inputs are necessary and converting the value at that time. Something like this:

Code:
fname="$( printf "%s/foo%06d.%s" $directory $x $ext )"

or something similar.

If you are willing to use Ksh instead of bash, use the typeset command and each time the variable is used it will be presented with the format you desire:

Code:
$ typeset -Z6 x      # -Zn is right justify to a field size of n, pad w/ zeros
$ x=26
$ echo $x

This seems much cleaner to me, but it seems unsupported in bash.

Last edited by agama; 09-05-2010 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: clarification
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to format number/string in ksh

Hi, How to format a number in ksh. For example x=RANDOM $$ I want x to be of 20 digits long, so if x = 12345 I want it to be left paded with 15 zeros. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with format a number in a file

Hey, I have a file which starts each line with 6 digits followed bya colon: 090607:The rest of the line 091207:Also some text 091207:Here's some more text And I want to reformat them into: 06-09-07:The rest of the line 12-09-07:Also some text 12-09-07:Here's some more text I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kabatsie
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number format conversion in UNIX

Hi All, I want to convert Scientific number format into normal number format using unix script or using any command of unix. e.g 1.55397e+09 into 1553970000 Thanks in advance Kamal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamal_418
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

number format in Perl

I try to read in a file and write out a new file with increased number at the end of each line. And I can set the initial value and increased constant from inputs. input file: text1 text2 text3 ... text100 if I set initial value is 10, and increased constant is 0.4 output file: text1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinsh
3 Replies

5. Web Development

Need Number Format Help in PHP

I have a number coming into a php echo statement that looks like 0293 and i want to output it looking like 29.3 and for the life of me i cannot figure out how to do it with available php functions like number_format, sprintf, or printf. Sample Data: 0293 0304 0282 0310 1324 2000 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number/string format in bash

I would like to change the format of an integer type number adding zeros to the left of it in a script in bash. For example number=1 echo $number 00001 Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to change format of number

Hi, using a shell script to get values from a CSV eg: 12345.67,5678990.89,76232882.90 12345,5678990.89,76232882 Need the format of these numbers to change to 12,345.67:5,678,990.89:76,232,882.90 12,345:5678990.89:76232882 Using nawk on solaris, to parse these values, need the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgop
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk:How to format a number?

Hello, I need to format a number..like 12900 should be printed as 12,900 and 1209 as 1,209 and so on. (Just like we do in excel). Can this be done in awk. any printf options we have?Please suggest me. Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing number in bash (number is in form of string)

I have a txt file as database. when i run my program what it does is it ask me for 3 name and stored in the file as name1:name2:name3:1 when u enter 3 name it add those in file as above format and add 1 at the end. I what i want is if i enter same names again it changes that 1 to 2 and so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script accepting variables in valid number format

Hi Experts I would like to ask if there is a way to validate if the variable passed is in this kind of sample format "06-10" or "10-01". It was really a challenge to me on how to start and echnically the "6-10" stands for "June 10" and "10-01" stands as "October 1", overall it needs to have ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ersan-poguita
3 Replies
typeset(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        typeset(1)

NAME
typeset, whence - shell built-in functions to set/get attributes and values for shell variables and functions SYNOPSIS
typeset [ +- HLRZfilrtux [n]] [ name [ = value]]... whence [-pv] name... DESCRIPTION
typeset sets attributes and values for shell variables and functions. When typeset is invoked inside a function, a new instance of the variables name is created. The variables value and type are restored when the function completes. The following list of attributes may be specified: -H This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX machines. -L Left justify and remove leading blanks from value. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. When the variable is assigned to, it is filled on the right with blanks or trun- cated, if necessary, to fit into the field. Leading zeros are removed if the -Z flag is also set. The -R flag is turned off. -R Right justify and fill with leading blanks. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field, otherwise it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. The field is left filled with blanks or truncated from the end if the variable is reas- signed. The -L flag is turned off. -Z Right justify and fill with leading zeros if the first non-blank character is a digit and the -L flag has not been set. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. -f The names refer to function names rather than variable names. No assignments can be made and the only other valid flags are -t, -u and -x. The flag -t turns on execution tracing for this function. The flag -u causes this function to be marked undefined. The FPATH variable will be searched to find the function definition when the function is referenced. The flag -x allows the func- tion definition to remain in effect across shell procedures invoked by name. -i Parameter is an integer. This makes arithmetic faster. If n is non-zero it defines the output arithmetic base; otherwise, the first assignment determines the output base. -l All upper-case characters are converted to lower-case. The upper-case flag, -u is turned off. -r The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. -t Tags the variables. Tags are user definable and have no special meaning to the shell. -u All lower-case characters are converted to upper-case characters. The lower-case flag, -l is turned off. -x The given names are marked for automatic export to the environment of subsequently-executed commands. The -i attribute can not be specified along with -R, -L, -Z, or -f. Using + rather than - causes these flags to be turned off. If no name arguments are given but flags are specified, a list of names (and optionally the values) of the variables which have these flags set is printed. (Using + rather than - keeps the values from being printed.) If no names and flags are given, the names and attributes of all variables are printed. For each name, whence indicates how it would be interpreted if used as a command name. The -v flag produces a more verbose report. The -p flag does a path search for name even if name is an alias, a function, or a reserved word. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 typeset(1)