Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search & Replace question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search & Replace question Post 302450917 by ygemici on Saturday 4th of September 2010 04:41:43 PM
Old 09-04-2010
Code:
# cat infile
10 20
10 100
100 1000
EMPTY LINE

del empty line if the end of file
Code:
# sed -i '${/^$/d}' infile ; more infile
10 20
10 100
100 1000

Code:
# cat infile
10 20
10 100
100 1000

add empty line if the end of line is not empty line
Code:
# sed -i '${/^.*$/!N;$s/\(.*\)/\1\n/;}' infile ; more infile
10 20
10 100
100 1000
EMPTY LINE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vi search & replace functions

I'm trying to do a global search and replace in vi. I am trying to replace a string, call it "BOB" with a carriage return and can't seem to find a reference to it. Command syntax s%/BOB/???/g What would I substitute the "???" with? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: barnettdk
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, sed search&replace

Plzzzz, tell me some script about this... What does this mean ? sed '/^ */s///' sed '/^/s// /' and why it's diferent ??? sed '/ */s// /g' and sed 's/ */ /g'. It's all the same ??? Thanks you very much (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & replace

Is there any way we can achieve search & replace with awk? I could achieve the same with sed in following way - sed 's/A/B/g' file1 > file2 But the same regex if I try with using awk following way, awk 's/A/B/g' file1 > file2 it gives me Syntax error. I strongly believe I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String Search & Replace

Hey, I want to have a C program which, for an existing file supplied by the command line argument (E.g. File1.txt) replaces all the occurrences of the words: "We” or “we” by “I” “a” by “the” “A” by “The”. Then print the replaced file. All other characters of the file are to be left... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IwishIknewC
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with search & replace

I have a file that has some accent characters in it when viewed in some text editors, but when viewed in vi they come in as ~R and ~U. I need to make a script to remove these characters from the file, but have been unsuccessful. I am not sure how sed or awk, or something similar is viewing them,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcovert
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search & Replace

Hi , I ahve a text file which has several instances of the text such as run_time: 09:30 I need to add double quotes before and after the time value i.e: run_time: "09:30" Any suggestions on how to go about the same (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jobbyjoseph
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stuck with Search & Replace

Hi I'm trying to replace a string in the files ending with *.txt Unable to get the sed to do the job. any help would be appreciated :) I'm on SunOS #!/bin/bash startdirectory={$HOME}/pp_test searchterm="change" replaceterm="CHANGE" echo $searchterm echo $replaceterm for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mqueue
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

search & replace pattern

Hi, My problem is that I have to search a changing pattern and replace it with the wild card char "*" i/p: 99_*_YYYYMMDD_SRC.txt.tar.gz o/p: 99_*_*_SRC.txt.tar.gz The problem is that YYYYMMDD pattern is not static. It could be YYYYMMDDHHMI or could be YYYYMMDDHHMISS. Can... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace

Hi all Please can you help me with a script to check several files for the following string: encoding=""and replace it with: encoding="UTF-8"I did the following, : #!/bin/sh string1="encoding=""" string2="encoding="UTF-8" sed 's/'"$string1"'/'"$string2"'/g'but does not work. Please can... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace

Hi Gurus, I have two files. I want to read sessoin_name from the file1 and replace $Param4 & $Param5 in file2 with connection_name in specified in file1. The file1 will have data in following format File 1 session_name,connection_name s_abcd,Listener_2 s_def,Listener_1 source file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)