Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Download data from ftp.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Download data from ftp. Post 302450634 by admax on Friday 3rd of September 2010 10:04:59 AM
Old 09-03-2010
Download data from ftp.

Dear all,
I am beginner to shell scripting.
I have to download more than 1k files from ftp site.
link is below
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/genomes/Bacteria/

Earlier i was using wget url, for download but the problem is some times folder names get changed, i don't know how to move in directories in the script (list of directories is not available). After entering in every directory i want to download files ending with ".fna" extension.

Please help me Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

When a FTP download is completed

I receive files by FTP in an input directory. Every 10 seconds a process checks if some new file has arrived to the input directory and then the process moves them to another directory to be read by a second process. The problem is that there is no way to know if the download has finished... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Javi
11 Replies

2. HP-UX

Ftp Download Problem

FROM WINDOWS , WHILE GETTING DATA FROM HP-UNIX SERVER USING FTP, I AM ABLE TO GET DATA ONLY LESS THAN 4GB FILE, PLZ HELP ME HOW TO GET MORE MORE THAN 4GB FILE. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjan
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

ftp download problem

from windows ftp tool even you are not root user you can delete root files (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkhsy
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Download username and password

I am trying to download from ftp server (rsync and postfix). But every time I connect to the ftp server, it prompts for USER and PASS but I don't know which username and and password to use. And I am using command based UNIX OS. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarrana
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

download specified file from ftp server

Hi all, I'm having problems downloading files from ftp server. I have to download only those files that name starts with YYYYMMDD.But file comes like the format "20080624221035.TXT".Also how i can get list of all file names with in specified folder. Here i paste my code ftp -vn... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaskarbasak
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cURL Active FTP Download

Hello, I know this is probably a very silly question for most but how to do I force curl to do active FTP downloads? Thank you Dallas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dallasbr
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on FTP download using UNIX script

Hi guys, I'm new on this forum and on UNIX. Can somebody help in writing a script to download a file from an FTP server and validating if there is a file to download. If there is a file, I would send it to a mail recipient and if not I would generate an error log. Thanks in advance!:D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rjay_45
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need of shell script to download data using ftp

Hi ! I am just wondering shell script to download data from ftp... I have text file containing ftp address...looks like this ftp://site...../filename.xyz ftp://site...../filename.xyz ftp://site...../filename.xyz ftp://site...../filename.xyz script has to read ftp address and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP File download

Hi, I have few files at FTP location and have written a script to download the same from ftp based on the sysdate - 1, however with the below code I am unable to download the files from FTP. x=`TZ=CST+24 date +%Y%m%d` mget Daily_BIH_$x_NEW.tar.gz can anyone please help me in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to Download File from FTP

Hi, I am trying to download files from FTP using below FTP code. x=$(TZ=CST date +%Y%m%d) host='xxx.xx.xxx.xxx' user='userX' pass='Password' echo "Connecting to FTP Host -- $host....." echo $x a=$(ftp -v -n -i << ! open $host user "$user" $pass cd /rose/yellow/ mget... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
6 Replies
ftp::geturl(3tcl)						    ftp client							 ftp::geturl(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ftp::geturl - Uri handler for ftp urls SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require ftp::geturl ?0.2.1? ::ftp::geturl url _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a command which wraps around the client side of the ftp protocol provided by package ftp to allow the retrieval of urls using the ftp schema. API
::ftp::geturl url This command can be used by the generic command ::uri::geturl (See package uri) to retrieve the contents of ftp urls. Internally it uses the commands of the package ftp to fulfill the request. The contents of a ftp url are defined as follows: file The contents of the specified file itself. directory A listing of the contents of the directory in key value notation where the file name is the key and its attributes the asso- ciated value. link The attributes of the link, including the path it refers to. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category ftp of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
ftpd, mime, pop3, smtp KEYWORDS
ftp, internet, net, rfc 959 CATEGORY
Networking ftp 0.2.1 ftp::geturl(3tcl)