Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using find to search for any owner having execute permissions. Post 302450584 by methyl on Friday 3rd of September 2010 06:06:30 AM
Old 09-03-2010
If your "find" doesn't support alphabetic permissions it can still be done. The leading hyphen on the permissions bits tells "find" to treat the bit pattern as a mask.

Code:
find . -type f -name "*.[hc]"  \( -perm -000001 -o -perm -000010 -o -perm -000100 \) -print

This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with permissions - execute but not delete

Hi, We have 2 users and one directory (dir). One user is admin user and other use r is operator user. who is responsible for just executing the scripts e.g. startWeblogic and stopWeblogic etc, we want to restrict this operator user in such a way that he can only execute these files and he should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy owner permissions to group

Hi, I need a command or a script to change the group permissions to be the same as the owner permissions for all my files and directories (recursive) any idea ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynixon
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running file without execute permissions

Please explain this strange behavior to me bash-2.03$ ls -l abc -rw------- 1 bashboy users 319 Sep 21 18:02 abc bash-2.03$ ./abc bash: ./abc: Permission denied bash-2.03$ . abc Successfully run I wanted to ask how the file executes without the execute permissions when we... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files with owner having execute permission

Hi All, I have to search for all files in the current directory where the owner having execute operation. I can find the files with specific permission such as 666 find . -type f -perm 666 But how to find files with only execute permission to user. tried with : find . -type f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Why user has permissions to execute 'init 0'?

Hi all. On one workstation run Solaris 10 a simple user can to execute 'init 0' command without input (su and root password). Example: % init 0 % OK I don't understand how user can execute 'init 0' command on this workstation? 1) I checked /usr/local/etc/sudoers all lines are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing permissions from all users including owner

Hello all: I will include a "requirement" for an issue I am attempting to solve for my boss. Basically, he would like to know if there is a way to prevent users and owner from editing 'write' script in Vi. - While working in Unix Vi, users would be able to keep all the previous versions... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bruski4
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script without execute permissions will work for a user?

Please help me to understand the issue: Issue: There are shell scripts in a user home directory (/home/user_1) without execute permissions (rw-r--r--) to owner,group and world These shell scripts were able to execute/work previously but its not working now and it says permission denied or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MSK_1990
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for files owned by particular owner and group

I am searchingfor files owned by particular owner and group in a particular directory including its sub-directories. I use find <dir> -user <user> -group <group> -exec ls -l {} \; It does not work completely. In the sense is a subdirectory is owned by 'user' and group 'group' then all... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a way to restrict a user (owner) to execute scripts from a specific directory

Hello, I have a user Bob on a RHEL 7 server1. Where his script area is "/home/Bob/scripts/" and he is the owner for this directory. On the server1, there is a NFS mount from another server2, with path as "/global/work/" and Bob is the owner for this directory too in server2. (Same UID and GID... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
5 Replies
STRMODE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						STRMODE(3)

NAME
strmode -- convert inode status information into a symbolic string LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> void strmode(int mode, char *bp); DESCRIPTION
The strmode() function converts a file mode (the type and permission information associated with an inode, see stat(2)) into a symbolic string which is stored in the location referenced by bp. This stored string is eleven characters in length plus a trailing NUL. The first character is the inode type, and will be one of the following: - regular file b block special c character special d directory l symbolic link p fifo s socket w whiteout ? unknown inode type The next nine characters encode three sets of permissions, in three characters each. The first three characters are the permissions for the owner of the file, the second three for the group the file belongs to, and the third for the ``other'', or default, set of users. Permission checking is done as specifically as possible. If read permission is denied to the owner of a file in the first set of permis- sions, the owner of the file will not be able to read the file. This is true even if the owner is in the file's group and the group permis- sions allow reading or the ``other'' permissions allow reading. If the first character of the three character set is an ``r'', the file is readable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not read- able. If the second character of the three character set is a ``w'', the file is writable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not writable. The third character is the first of the following characters that apply: S If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the owner, and the set-user-id bit is set. S If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the group, and the set-group-id bit is set. T If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. s If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the owner, and the set- user-id bit is set. s If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the group, and the set- group-id bit is set. t If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. x The file is executable or the directory is searchable. - None of the above apply. The last character will always be a space. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), find(1), stat(2), getmode(3), setmode(3) HISTORY
The strmode() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
July 28, 1994 BSD