Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk: sort lines by count of a character or string in a line Post 302450574 by radoulov on Friday 3rd of September 2010 05:40:24 AM
Old 09-03-2010
Or you can simply add -depth to your find command and execute rmdir, ignoring eventual errors (/dev/null).

In addition, some find implementations support the -empty flag.
Code:
find <source> -mindepth 1 -depth -type d -exec rmdir  {} +

In addition, some find implementations (like GNU find, for instance) support the -empty option:

Quote:
-empty File is empty and is either a regular file or a directory.
This User Gave Thanks to radoulov For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to count no of occurences of a character in a string in UNIX

i have a string like echo "a|b|c" . i want to count the | symbols in this string . how to do this .plz tell the command (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamesh83
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print lines based on string match on another line and condition

Hi folks, I have a text file that I need to parse, and I cant figure it out. The source is a report breaking down softwares from various companies with some basic info about them (see source snippet below). Ultimately what I want is an excel sheet with only Adobe and Microsoft software name and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowie718
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk find a string, print the line 2 lines below it

I am parsing a nagios config, searching for a string, and then printing the line 2 lines later (the "members" string). Here's the data: define hostgroup{ hostgroup_name chat-dev alias chat-dev members thisisahostname } define hostgroup{ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mglenney
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count character in one line

Please check the attachment for the example. Purpose: count how many "|" character in one line and also display the line number. expect result: Line 1 : there are 473 "|" characters Line 2 : there are 473 "|" characters I have tried to use awk to count it, it's ok when the statistic... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambious
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk delete character in the lines before and after the matching line

Sample file: This is line one, this is another line, this is the PRIMARY INDEX line l ; This is another line The command should find the line with “PRIMARY INDEX” and remove the last character from the line preceding it (in this case , comma) and remove the first character from the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KC_Rules
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk new line issue, saying string can't contain new line character

Hi , I am doing some enhancements in an existing shell script. There it used the awk command in a function as below : float_expr() { IFS=" " command eval 'awk " BEGIN { result = $* print result exit(result == 0) }"' } It calls the function float_expr to evaluate two values ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mady135
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character count of each line

Hi, I have a file with more than 1000 lines. Most of the lines have 16 characters. I want to find out lines that have less than 14 characters (usually 12 or 13). wc -l gives me the line count and wc -c gives me the total characters in a file. I could not get the total characters for each line.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting the character count of the last line

I need the character count of the last line of each file in a directory, and not the total. Now I have been doing this but unfortunately, -exec doesn't support pipes: find sent/ -type f -exec tail -1|wc -c {} \; If I try this: find sent/ -type f -exec tail -1 {} \; | wc -c It will give... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
RMDIR(1)							   User Commands							  RMDIR(1)

NAME
rmdir - remove empty directories SYNOPSIS
rmdir [OPTION]... DIRECTORY... DESCRIPTION
Remove the DIRECTORY(ies), if they are empty. --ignore-fail-on-non-empty ignore each failure that is solely because a directory is non-empty -p, --parents remove DIRECTORY and its ancestors; e.g., 'rmdir -p a/b/c' is similar to 'rmdir a/b/c a/b a' -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every directory processed --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report rmdir translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
rmdir(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/rmdir> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) rmdir invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 RMDIR(1)