Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk: sort lines by count of a character or string in a line Post 302450570 by Michael Stora on Friday 3rd of September 2010 05:34:41 AM
Old 09-03-2010
Nope. I've got a script that moves all the regular files in subdirectories into the main directory, appending a number on the end when there are duplicate file names.
I want to clean up the remaining empty directories SAFELY (there is a chance one or more contains a special file in which case I wan't the rmdir to fail--I do not want to use -rf! ).

mindepth is being used to exclude the main directory. Specifically mindepth 1 excludes '.'.

Mike

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to count no of occurences of a character in a string in UNIX

i have a string like echo "a|b|c" . i want to count the | symbols in this string . how to do this .plz tell the command (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamesh83
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print lines based on string match on another line and condition

Hi folks, I have a text file that I need to parse, and I cant figure it out. The source is a report breaking down softwares from various companies with some basic info about them (see source snippet below). Ultimately what I want is an excel sheet with only Adobe and Microsoft software name and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowie718
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk find a string, print the line 2 lines below it

I am parsing a nagios config, searching for a string, and then printing the line 2 lines later (the "members" string). Here's the data: define hostgroup{ hostgroup_name chat-dev alias chat-dev members thisisahostname } define hostgroup{ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mglenney
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count character in one line

Please check the attachment for the example. Purpose: count how many "|" character in one line and also display the line number. expect result: Line 1 : there are 473 "|" characters Line 2 : there are 473 "|" characters I have tried to use awk to count it, it's ok when the statistic... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambious
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk delete character in the lines before and after the matching line

Sample file: This is line one, this is another line, this is the PRIMARY INDEX line l ; This is another line The command should find the line with “PRIMARY INDEX” and remove the last character from the line preceding it (in this case , comma) and remove the first character from the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KC_Rules
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk new line issue, saying string can't contain new line character

Hi , I am doing some enhancements in an existing shell script. There it used the awk command in a function as below : float_expr() { IFS=" " command eval 'awk " BEGIN { result = $* print result exit(result == 0) }"' } It calls the function float_expr to evaluate two values ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mady135
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character count of each line

Hi, I have a file with more than 1000 lines. Most of the lines have 16 characters. I want to find out lines that have less than 14 characters (usually 12 or 13). wc -l gives me the line count and wc -c gives me the total characters in a file. I could not get the total characters for each line.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting the character count of the last line

I need the character count of the last line of each file in a directory, and not the total. Now I have been doing this but unfortunately, -exec doesn't support pipes: find sent/ -type f -exec tail -1|wc -c {} \; If I try this: find sent/ -type f -exec tail -1 {} \; | wc -c It will give... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
RMDIR(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RMDIR(1)

NAME
rmdir, rm - remove (unlink) directories or files SYNOPSIS
rmdir dir ... rm [ -f ] [ -r ] [ -i ] [ - ] file ... DESCRIPTION
Rmdir removes entries for the named directories, which must be empty. Rm removes the entries for one or more files from a directory. If an entry was the last link to the file, the file is destroyed. Removal of a file requires write permission in its directory, but neither read nor write permission on the file itself. If a file has no write permission and the standard input is a terminal, its permissions are printed and a line is read from the standard input. If that line begins with `y' the file is deleted, otherwise the file remains. No questions are asked and no errors are reported when the -f (force) option is given. If a designated file is a directory, an error comment is printed unless the optional argument -r has been used. In that case, rm recur- sively deletes the entire contents of the specified directory, and the directory itself. If the -i (interactive) option is in effect, rm asks whether to delete each file, and, under -r, whether to examine each directory. The null option - indicates that all the arguments following it are to be treated as file names. This allows the specification of file names starting with a minus. SEE ALSO
rm(1), unlink(2), rmdir(2) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 RMDIR(1)