Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tail command with wildcard file name Post 302450445 by robertson1995 on Thursday 2nd of September 2010 04:10:24 PM
Old 09-02-2010
Tail command with wildcard file name

Please help with the following command

tail -f /appdata/logs/alert_audit517.txt | grep "Sep 02"

The problem I have is with the file name "alert_audit517.txt". The 3 digit number at the end of the file name changes, so I need the file name to use a wildcard. Ive tried alert_audit***.txt, but thats not working. I also have other files in the directory that begin with the filename alert_audit, but do not end with a 3 digit number.

Thanks in advance for any help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command

Hi , I have found a interesting thing about tail command: when I tried to use 'tail -1 *' to look at every file with the current derectory, I only got one line of result of one file. But if I use 'head -1 *', I would get multiple lines. Is there a way to do get multiple lines with 'tail -1 *'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

3. Linux

tail most recent file command

I have only been working with Linux for a few years now so bear with my noob question. I was wondering if there is a way to tail the most recent file that has a file name like 'scrubsncoa%'. There will be at least 2 files in the directory that start with 'scrubsncoa' and a few other different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RyanD
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard in Cshell find command

The following command works fine in my cshell script: set Deliverables = `find . -name "eliverables" -print` The following command does not work: set LASFiles = `find . -name "*." -print` In the first example, when tested in an if statement, the script will continue whether a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with wildcard directory

I want to look if there is any file inside a specific directory which was modified before 2 days. I wrote the find command, but the problem is there is one directory and that is a random directory generated by unix, so not sure on how to code for that on the find command. find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srini0603
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard use with SED command

Hello, I am fairly new to Linux in general and I am trying to use SED to make some replacements in a file. Below is sample of what the file is like. <Grouping id="024"><Source>ABC</Source><GroupingKey>000000000816</GroupingKey></Grouping><Grouping... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: runforfun7
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command help

Hi does anyone know how to create a file using the tail command? My book has this file I need to create and it says to use the tail command and that it is possible but I have no idea. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process only new line of tail -f command from live log file?

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which are newly added to file Below code I am using, which read line but as soon as it read new line from log file its starts processing from very first line of file. tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tail -f Command help

Hi Team, Can anyone help me here: I have to access server logs via putty and these logs file is a trailing file (continously updating) with ERROR and WARNINGS... I need to know if I can pull this trailing file to a local drive so that I can do some higlighting on some keywords through Notepad... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitensetia
13 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to display certain line of file only using head or tail in 1 command?

First month learning about the Linux terminal and it has been a challenge yet fun so far. We're learning by using a gameshell. I'm trying to display a certain line ( only allowed 1 command ) from a file only using the head or tail. I'm pretty about this answer: head -23 history.txt | tail -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forzatekk
1 Replies
X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)					       Generic Mapping Tools						 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)

NAME
x2sys_merge - Merge an updated COEs tables SYNOPSIS
x2sys_merge -Amain_COElist.d -Mnew_COElist.d DESCRIPTION
x2sys_merge will read two crossovers data base and output the contents of the main one updated with the COEs in the second one. The second file should only contain updated COEs relatively to the first one. That is, it MUST NOT contain any new two tracks intersections (This point is NOT checked in the code). This program is useful when, for any good reason like file editing NAV correction or whatever, one had to recompute only the COEs between the edited files and the rest of the database. -A Specify the file main_COElist.d with the main crossover error data base. -M Specify the file new_COElist.d with the newly computed crossover error data base. OPTIONS
No space between the option flag and the associated arguments. EXAMPLES To update the main COE_data.txt with the new COEs estimations saved in the smaller COE_fresh.txt, try x2sys_merge -ACOE_data.txt -MCOE_fresh.txt > COE_updated.txt SEE ALSO
x2sys_binlist(1), x2sys_cross(1), x2sys_datalist(1), x2sys_get(1), x2sys_init(1), x2sys_list(1), x2sys_put(1), x2sys_report(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)