Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I have files that are locked up... Post 302450429 by SentinelX on Thursday 2nd of September 2010 03:12:11 PM
Old 09-02-2010
I have files that are locked up...

Here's the story:

I had an LaCie Internet Space (1TB)... Recently the network (or software)
functions of the device just died... I tried to access it via different routers,
checking UTP, tried everything possible to rule out physical damage to
components.

Then i got the disk out of its housing and noticed it was still working properly!
Then i got it hooked up to my computer directly and to my suprise: it got
recognized directly (in Mac OS X), but i wasn't able to access the files due
to the fact this was a linux filesystem (Ext3).

I decided to install Ubuntu in VMWare and indeed: the hdd was accessible and
the brunt of my data (720GB) could be accessed directly! BUT: the really
important files were located on the users personal folders... Now these seem
to be locked-out and i have no way of getting in to these folders...

Is there any way were i can "delete" these restrictions to gain access to my
(and the others) data again?

Greetz
SentinelX

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting locked files

I have some locked files ( locked via the Mac finder) I have tired rm -R and rm -rdf but it doesnt delete the locked files just says "override rw------- etc?" type "yes" and says "operation not permitted" is there some way to do this (or unlock the files) Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aussie John
1 Replies

2. AIX

locked a password

good morning just a confirmation, to lock a password for a user, we must to write 0 for password min age and password max age option ? thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

locked out!

:confused: I have an K580 HP server. All I did was change the IP address on the NIC and now I can't telnet into it. I can ping, but no telnet. Also, it won't boot if the console monitor is plugged in. ANY IDEAS??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncmurf00
1 Replies

4. AIX

account is always locked out

we have a user name "Test1" that account is alwyas locked out. The user has been used to many servers to ftp a file from the main server. i already increase the MaxStartups to 99. And still after how many days account will locked. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find locked files, print file path, unlock file

using OS X and the Terminal, I'd like to find all locked files in a specified directory, unlock them, and print a list of those files that were unlocked how can I do this? I'm familiar with chflags nouchg for unlocking one file but not familiar with unix enough to do what I'd like. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alternapop
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Who locked my id?

I am running Solaris 10. Occasionally, my id gets loked. I want to know who/which rougue process locked it. How do I find out? Thanks, KNK (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkamatam
9 Replies

7. AIX

Find all locked files

How to can find all locked files and release the locks in Unix? We have an issue were an ftp job lands files under /home/loginid at 5:30 pm and at 6 pm we run a get file on the mvs mainframe machine ftp the file from the server to the mainframe. We get an error file is in use eventhu it is not !!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passwd getting locked

Hi, there is a password lock problem happening everyday at one of the servers(GNU RH-Linux;kernel release version 2.6.18-308.20.1.el5) for a particular user id which is an appln user id. Everyday it needs to be reset by the owner/unix user mgmt team. My suspicion was if any cronjob was running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
3 Replies

9. Proxy Server

Samba kill the locked files from a useraccount by multiple smbd pids

Details Samba server: Release: 5.10 Kernel architecture: sun4u Application architecture: sparc Hardware provider: Sun_Microsystems Kernel version: SunOS 5.10 Generic_142909-17 Samba version: Samba version 3.5.6 Smb.conf file section Global: # smb.conf for Airbus Industries fuer... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jean-Guillaume
0 Replies
RAW(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    RAW(8)

NAME
raw - bind a Linux raw character device SYNOPSIS
raw /dev/raw/raw<N> <major> <minor> raw /dev/raw/raw<N> /dev/<blockdev> raw -q /dev/raw/raw<N> raw -qa DESCRIPTION
raw is used to bind a Linux raw character device to a block device. Any block device may be used: at the time of binding, the device driver does not even have to be accessible (it may be loaded on demand as a kernel module later). raw is used in two modes: it either sets raw device bindings, or it queries existing bindings. When setting a raw device, /dev/raw/raw<N> is the device name of an existing raw device node in the filesystem. The block device to which it is to be bound can be specified either in terms of its major and minor device numbers, or as a path name /dev/<blockdev> to an existing block device file. The bindings already in existence can be queried with the -q option, with is used either with a raw device filename to query that one device, or with the -a option to query all bound raw devices. Unbinding can be done by specifying major and minor 0. Once bound to a block device, a raw device can be opened, read and written, just like the block device it is bound to. However, the raw device does not behave exactly like the block device. In particular, access to the raw device bypasses the kernel's block buffer cache entirely: all I/O is done directly to and from the address space of the process performing the I/O. If the underlying block device driver can support DMA, then no data copying at all is required to complete the I/O. Because raw I/O involves direct hardware access to a process's memory, a few extra restrictions must be observed. All I/Os must be cor- rectly aligned in memory and on disk: they must start at a sector offset on disk, they must be an exact number of sectors long, and the data buffer in virtual memory must also be aligned to a multiple of the sector size. The sector size is 512 bytes for most devices. OPTIONS
-q Set query mode. raw will query an existing binding instead of setting a new one. -a With -q , specifies that all bound raw devices should be queried. -h provides a usage summary. BUGS
The Linux dd (1) command should be used without bs= option or the blocksize needs to be a multiple of the sector size of the device (512 bytes usually) otherwise it will fail with "Invalid Argument" messages (EINVAL). Raw I/O devices do not maintain cache coherency with the Linux block device buffer cache. If you use raw I/O to overwrite data already in the buffer cache, the buffer cache will no longer correspond to the contents of the actual storage device underneath. This is deliberate, but is regarded either a bug or a feature depending on who you ask! AUTHOR
Stephen Tweedie (sct@redhat.com) AVAILABILITY
The raw command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Version 0.1 Aug 1999 RAW(8)