Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to display only Owner and directory/sub directory names under particular root Post 302450281 by methyl on Thursday 2nd of September 2010 06:39:04 AM
Old 09-02-2010
Better to use "find" to eliminate what you don't want.
With care you can deal with directory names containing space characters and produce the output in alphabetical order of directory name.

Code:
find . ! -user oasitqtc -type d -print | sort | while read DIR
do
        OWNER=`ls -ld "${DIR}" |awk '{print $3}'`
        echo "${OWNER} ${DIR}"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine owner directory permissions from within the directory

From within a directory, how do I determine whether I have write permission for it. test -w pwd ; echo ? This doesn't work as it returns false, even though I have write permission. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display all directory/sub directory with occupied space?

Hello, I am using Red Hat linux system. I see my /work directory has used space 300GB. But there are so many sub directory under /work. I want to list each direcotry and under all subdirectory. But i want to know how much space occupied by each directory. What kind of command i can use to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory and extract sub directory names

I am trying to loop through folders and extract the name of the lowest level subfolder I was running the script below, it returns /bb/bin/prd/newyork /bb/bin/prd/london /bb/bin/prd/tokyo I really want newyork london tokyo I couldn't find a standard variable for the lowest level... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: personalt
1 Replies

4. AIX

Unix root directory owner wrong AIX 5.3

The a chown was done and instead of using ./ a / was used and root ownership files got changed. I need to change the ownership of the files/directory back - backups are not working and I am concerned a reboot will not be successful. Can anyone provide the ownership of these files/directories... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: spike1
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync in osx - nondestructive with differnt names of root directory

normally I rsync -haPE source destination What I want to do is take a old ~ directory from an external drive and have it ONLY update missing files NOT replace existing files. excluding ~/library any help would be great. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing directory with leading hyphen from root directory

I know that this basic question has been asked many times and solutions all over the internet, but none of the are working for me. I have a directory in the root directory, named "-p". # ls -l / total 198 <snip> drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 3 14:18 opt drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
2 Replies

8. AIX

How to set owner and permission for files/directory in directory in this case?

Hi. My example: I have a filesystem /log. Everyday, log files are copied to /log. I'd like to set owner and permission for files and directories in /log like that chown -R log_adm /log/* chmod -R 544 /log/*It's OK, but just at that time. When a new log file or new directory is created in /log,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX command to display Owner,Group,Root and Subdirectories list

Hi Team, Am a newbie to Unix. As I would like to see the Server Name,Owner Name ( not numeric form), Group Name ( not numeric ID), ROOT path. I would like to send this list as an attachment to my personal mail. Can any one please help me out to to resolve this . Here is the sample result... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuvv
6 Replies

10. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies
XSetSelectionOwner(3X11)					     MIT X11R4						  XSetSelectionOwner(3X11)

Name
       XSetSelectionOwner, XGetSelectionOwner, XConvertSelection - manipulate window selection

Syntax
       XSetSelectionOwner(display, selection, owner, time)
	  Display *display;
	  Atom selection;
	  Window owner;
	  Time time;

Window XGetSelectionOwner(display, selection)
	  Display *display;
	  Atom selection;

XConvertSelection(display, selection, target, property, requestor, time)
	  Display *display;
	  Atom selection, target;
	  Atom property;
	  Window requestor;
	  Time time;

Arguments
       display	 Specifies the connection to the X server.

owner	 Specifies the owner of the specified selection atom.  You can pass a window or

property  Specifies the property name.  You also can pass

requestor Specifies the requestor.

selection Specifies the selection atom.

target	 Specifies the target atom.

time	 Specifies the time.  You can pass either a timestamp or

Description
       The function changes the owner and last-change time for the specified selection and has no effect if the specified time is earlier than the
       current last-change time of the specified selection or is later than the current X server time.	Otherwise, the last-change time is set to
       the specified time, with replaced by the current server time.  If the owner window is specified as then the owner of the selection becomes
       (that is, no owner).  Otherwise, the owner of the selection becomes the client executing the request.

If the new owner (whether a client or is not the same as the current owner of the selection and the current owner is not the current owner
       is sent a event.  If the client that is the owner of a selection is later terminated (that is, its connection is closed) or if the owner
       window it has specified in the request is later destroyed, the owner of the selection automatically reverts to but the last-change time is
       not affected.  The selection atom is uninterpreted by the X server.  returns the owner window, which is reported in and events.	Selections
       are global to the X server.

can generate and errors.

The function returns the window ID associated with the window that currently owns the specified selection.  If no selection was specified,
       the function returns the constant If is returned, there is no owner for the selection.

can generate a error.

requests that the specified selection be converted to the specified target type:

o    If the specified selection has an owner, the X server sends a event to that owner.

o    If no owner for the specified selection exists, the X server generates a event to the requestor with property

The arguments are passed on unchanged in either of the events.  There are two predefined selection atoms: PRIMARY and SECONDARY.

can generate and errors.

Diagnostics
       A value for an Atom argument does not name a defined Atom.

A value for a Window argument does not name a defined Window.

See Also
       X Window System: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, Robert W. Scheifler and James Gettys

XSetSelectionOwner(3X11)