Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What do you do for a living?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? What do you do for a living? Post 302450263 by Sun Fire on Thursday 2nd of September 2010 05:01:59 AM
Old 09-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcguy
Unix administrator, sometimes they call us unix engineer so they can charge the customers more $$$$$$$ but otherwise yeah I manage unix boxes for a living and have done so since 92. I was with the services teams for a few years running projects but my calling is to be a sysadmin so I think that's probably what I'll do until they put me into the ground ... kekeke

At one time I used do only sun but these days it's not enough so one needs to be versatile so now I'm also supporting hpux and other os.
I kind of do what you started to do, SUN only right now.

I basically do:

1. Support for Solaris: We handle customer cases from trivial to escalated issues.

2. Installations for SUN servers/Storage/Tape Library/Blade centers/SANs/Solaris.

3. Support/Service for SUN Hardware (Servers SPARC/X86, Blades, Disk Arrays/SANS, Tape libraries, backup softwares sometimes netbackup and legato).

4. Regular preventive maintenance and checkups.

5. Sales support and management.

6. Training, sometimes we train customers for Solaris administration.

7. Sometimes Linux calls.

I'd like to get exposure other UNIX flavors...maybe I need to change jobs to do that Smilie

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Starting over, making a living with linux?

I really like to use linux, although I freely admit I don't know squat about it. I can install it, update it and get it to most of what I would like it to do, up to running some windows apps on it. I am going back so to school starting on the 25th, with a declared major of Information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Methal
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What Do You Do for a Living? @UNIX.com

Video: What Do You Do for a Living? @UNIX.com https://youtu.be/eTddtFa_Z_g We asked our users at UNIX.com what they do for a living, and this was their top three replies in 1080 HD video. Shout-outs to quotes in the video from forum members Akshay Hegde, geeky404, ni2 and joeyg. Here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
PPI::Token::Magic(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      PPI::Token::Magic(3)

NAME
PPI::Token::Magic - Tokens representing magic variables INHERITANCE
PPI::Token::Magic isa PPI::Token::Symbol isa PPI::Token isa PPI::Element SYNOPSIS
# When we say magic variables, we mean these... $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9 $_ $& $` $' $+ @+ %+ $* $. $/ $| $\ $" $; $% $= $- @- %- $) $# $~ $^ $: $? $! %! $@ $$ $< $> $( $0 $[ $] @_ @* $} $, $#+ $#- $^L $^A $^E $^C $^D $^F $^H $^I $^M $^N $^O $^P $^R $^S $^T $^V $^W $^X DESCRIPTION
"PPI::Token::Magic" is a sub-class of PPI::Token::Symbol which identifies the token as "magic variable", one of the strange and unusual variables that are connected to "things" behind the scenes. Some are extremely common, like $_, and others you will quite probably never encounter in your Perl career. METHODS
The class provides no additional methods, beyond those provided by it's PPI::Token::Symbol, PPI::Token and PPI::Element. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.2 2011-02-25 PPI::Token::Magic(3)