Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split function input and output order Post 302450246 by Franklin52 on Thursday 2nd of September 2010 04:24:26 AM
Old 09-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyaaa
Thanks a lot franklin, so this is an issue of split function ? is there any rule that can tell how "split" function do its work ?
From an excerption of the gawk manual:
Quote:
split(string, array [, fieldsep])
This function divides string into pieces separated by fieldsep and stores the pieces in array. The first piece is stored in array[1], the second piece in array[2], and so forth. The string value of the third argument, fieldsep, is a regexp describing where to split string (much as FS can be a regexp describing where to split input records). If fieldsep is omitted, the value of FS is used. split returns the number of elements created.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep in order based on the input file

Here is an answer rather than a question that I thought I would share. In my first attempt, I was using grep to find a list from file.1 within another file, file.2 which I then needed to paste the output from file.3 to file.1 in the same order. However, the results weren't what I wanted. At... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

split function

Hi all! I am relatively new to UNIX staff, and I have come across a problem: I have a big directory, which contains 100 smaller ones. Each of the 100 contains a file ending in .txt , so there are 100 files ending in .txt I want to split each of the 100 files in smaller ones, which will contain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktsirig
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

split input data file and put into same output file

Hi All, I have two input file and need to generate a CSV file. The existing report just "GREP" the records with the Header and Tailer records with the count of records. Now i need to split the data into 25 records each in the same CSV file. id_file (Input file ) 227050994 232510151... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rasmith
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion of input date in reverse order

Dear all, I am having date as input 01-08-2011 ...i want to convert it by removing - (hyphens) in reverse order...i.e 20110801 can u please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

function terminating if i give input as space or no input and enter

HI i have written a script to ask input from the user. this script should promote the user for y/n input. if user enters anyother input then y/n the script promotes him again. this below code is working fine for all the cases. except for space and enter " if i give space and enter it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BHASKARREDDY006
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split: File into multiple and keeping the same 3 lines from input into all output files

The following code will split the infile into multiple files. However, I need it to insert the same first 3 lines from the original input file into each splitted file. How do I modify my script below to do so: print -n "Enter file name to split? " ; read infile if then echo "Invalid file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to grep records in alphabetical order from a file and split into other files

Hi All, I have one file containing thousands of table names in single column. Now I want that file split into multiple files e.g one file containing table names starting from A, other containing all tables starting from B...and so on..till Z. I tried below but it did not work. for i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to iterate a function untill last argument with any order of input?

HI I need to get the function "kick" to get executed in any way the parameters are passed in to the function. The parameters are first stored in a dictionary self.otherlist = {} print self.otherlist self.populateTestList(self.system_type) print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m]] [-l line_count] [-p pattern] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If ``k'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If ``m'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l Create smaller files n lines in length. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with prefixes in the range of ``x-z'' and with suffixes as above. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
For historical reasons, if you specify name, split can only create 676 separate files. The default naming convention allows 2028 separate files. The -a option can be used to work around this limitation. The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
April 16, 1994 BSD