Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing field in specific line in a file Post 302450144 by vytenis on Wednesday 1st of September 2010 08:06:22 PM
Old 09-01-2010
it worked! thanks for the help, people. Just another advantage of using Open-source OS, lots of great people contributing to teaching n00bs Smilie great OS, great community!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the last field of a line.

Hi, I wrote a script which extracts data from 2 tables (joining the tables together) and outputs the fields to a csv file. the output may look something like scenario 1: a,b,c,d,1,2,3,4 or scenario 2: a,b,c,d,,,, now, in the second scenario, there are some empty fields at the end of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darek
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing string in a column on a specific line

hi, i currently have a file with columns similar to this customer name owed CID123 John 300 CID342 harry 500 at present i use use awk to find the amount owed by the customer using the customer ID (CID). if the customer spends more money how would i go about using sed/awk etc to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a character to the last but one field on a specific line?

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h n I want: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h , n ggg p t e d u qqq i o s , k (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Replacing all but one regex match on a line or specific matches

Hi, I'm attempting to rename some files that have spaces in them. Without linking sed commands together is it possible to replace the first three "." to " ". File.name.is.long.ext -> File name is long.ext I can get the desired effect with echo "File.name.is.long.ext" | sed 's/\./ /g;s/... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectox
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line.

Say the input was as follows: Brat 20 x 1000 32rf Pour 15 p 1621 05pr Dart 10 z 1111 22xx My program prompts for an input, what I want is to use the input to locate a specific field. Like if I type in, "Pou" then it would return "Pour" and just "Pour" I currently have this line but it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update specific field in a line of text file

I have a text file like this: subject1:LecturerA:10 subject2:LecturerA:40 if I was given string in column 1 and 2 (which are subject 1 and LecturerA) , i need to update 3rd field of that line containing that given string , which is, number 10 need to be updated to 100 ,for example. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmtoan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing nth field with nth_text for each line in a file

Hi All, I am very new to shell scripting and tried to search this in the forum but no luck. Requirment: I have an input file which is comma separated. I need to replace the value in 4th column with another value. This has to happen for all the lines in the file. Sample data: Input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarsd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing entire fields with specific text at end or beginning of field

Greetings. I've got a csv file with data along these lines: Spumoni's Pizza Place, Placemats n Things, Just Lamps Counterfeit Dollars by Vinnie, Just Shades, Dollar StoreI want to replace the entire comma-delimited field if it matches something ending in "Place" or beginning with "Dollar",... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmfrond
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do you preserve the max length of a line after replacing a specific value?

I'm new with scripting and I can't seem to figure out what I should do to get the output that I want. My file content would be below. ID2|ID3 |ID4|ID5 | I'm trying to replace the field of ID3 which has a fixed length of 10 characters, for each entry I have placed on a .txt file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfghjkl
5 Replies
FITCIRCLE(l)															      FITCIRCLE(l)

NAME
fitcircle - find mean position and pole of best-fit great [or small] circle to points on a sphere. SYNOPSIS
fitcircle [ xyfile ] -Lnorm [ -H[nrec] ] [ -S ] [ -V ] [ -: ] [ -bi[s][n] ] DESCRIPTION
fitcircle reads lon,lat [or lat,lon] values from the first two columns on standard input [or xyfile]. These are converted to cartesian three-vectors on the unit sphere. Then two locations are found: the mean of the input positions, and the pole to the great circle which best fits the input positions. The user may choose one or both of two possible solutions to this problem. The first is called -L1 and the second is called -L2. When the data are closely grouped along a great circle both solutions are similar. If the data have large dispersion, the pole to the great circle will be less well determined than the mean. Compare both solutions as a qualitative check. The -L1 solution is so called because it approximates the minimization of the sum of absolute values of cosines of angular distances. This solution finds the mean position as the Fisher average of the data, and the pole position as the Fisher average of the cross-products between the mean and the data. Averaging cross-products gives weight to points in proportion to their distance from the mean, analogous to the "leverage" of distant points in linear regression in the plane. The -L2 solution is so called because it approximates the minimization of the sum of squares of cosines of angular distances. It creates a 3 by 3 matrix of sums of squares of components of the data vectors. The eigenvectors of this matrix give the mean and pole locations. This method may be more subject to roundoff errors when there are thousands of data. The pole is given by the eigenvector corresponding to the smallest eigenvalue; it is the least-well represented factor in the data and is not easily estimated by either method. -L Specify the desired norm as 1 or 2, or use -L or -L3 to see both solutions. OPTIONS
xyfile ASCII [or binary, see -b] file containing lon,lat [lat,lon] values in the first 2 columns. If no file is specified, fitcircle will read from standard input. -H Input file(s) has Header record(s). Number of header records can be changed by editing your .gmtdefaults file. If used, GMT default is 1 header record. -S Attempt to fit a small circle instead of a great circle. The pole will be constrained to lie on the great circle connecting the pole of the best-fit great circle and the mean location of the data. -V Selects verbose mode, which will send progress reports to stderr [Default runs "silently"]. -: Toggles between (longitude,latitude) and (latitude,longitude) input/output. [Default is (longitude,latitude)]. Applies to geo- graphic coordinates only. -bi Selects binary input. Append s for single precision [Default is double]. Append n for the number of columns in the binary file(s). [Default is 2 input columns]. EXAMPLES
Suppose you have lon,lat,grav data along a twisty ship track in the file ship.xyg. You want to project this data onto a great circle and resample it in distance, in order to filter it or check its spectrum. Try: fitcircle ship.xyg -L2 project ship.xyg -Cox/oy -Tpx/py -S -pz | sample1d -S-100 -I1 > output.pg Here, ox/oy is the lon/lat of the mean from fitcircle, and px/py is the lon/lat of the pole. The file output.pg has distance, gravity data sampled every 1 km along the great circle which best fits ship.xyg SEE ALSO
gmt(1gmt), project(1gmt), sample1d(1gmt) 1 Jan 2004 FITCIRCLE(l)