Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed or awk to parse this text Post 302449521 by agama on Monday 30th of August 2010 10:42:48 PM
Old 08-30-2010
This is a quick example. There are probably other ways to do it, but this is straight forward:

Code:
awk '
        /^[*]/ {                            # new section 
                if( snarf )
                        printf( "\n" );         # terminate the last section
                snarf = 1;                      # open the section
                n = index( $0, "-" );           # find first -
                printf( "%s ", substr( $0, n+1 ) );     # print everything after the first dash
                next;
        }

NF == 0 { 
             if( snarf )
             {
                  snarf = 0; 
                  printf( "\n" );
              }
              next; 
       }     #terminate section on blank line

snarf > 0 {                         # if in section print this line. 
                printf( "%s ", $0 );
                next;
        }

END {
                if( snarf )                    # need to finish the last section with newline
                        printf( "\n" );
        }
'

It does assume that each section starts with an asterisk (*) and that if it is continued onto multiple lines the section ends with the next asterisk or a blank line. The output from each section is put on one line (no intermediate newlines) even if it was on multiple lines in the input. Each section is placed on a separate line.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by agama; 08-30-2010 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: Clarification in description

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To parse through the file and print output using awk or sed script

suppose if u have a file like that Hen ABCCSGSGSGJJJJK 15 Cock ABCCSGGGSGIJJJL 15 * * * * * * : * * * . * * * : Hen CFCDFCSDFCDERTF 30 Cock CHCDFCSDHCDEGFI 30 * . * * * * * * * : * * :* : : . The output shud be where there is : and . It shud... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed Command : Parse parameter file / send the lines to the ksh export command

Sorry for the duplicate thread this one is similar to the one in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/88132-awk-sed-script-read-values-parameter-files.html#post302255121 Since there were no responses on the parent thread since it got resolved partially i thought to open the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed Command: To Parse Stament between 2 numbers

Hi, I need an awk command that would parse the below expression Input Format 1 'Stmt1 ............................'2 'Stmt2 ............................'3 'Stmt3 ............................'4 'Stmt4 ............................'5 'Stmt5 ............................'6 'Stmt6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse xm entry with awk/sed

Hi folks, I have XML files with the following sections (section occurs once per file) in them: <AuthorList CompleteYN="Y"> <Author ValidYN="Y"> <LastName>Bernal</LastName> <ForeName>Federico</ForeName> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use awk or sed to parse delimited string

Hi I am trying to figure out the best way to search a long log file and print out certain information. For example if I had a line in a log file delimited by ampersand first_name=mike&last_name=smith&zip_code=55555&phone=555-5555&state=ma&city=boston and I only wanted to search for and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mstefaniak
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk script to parse list of bandwidth rules

Hello all gurus, I have a long list of rules as below: 20 name:abc addr:203.45.247.247/255.255.255.255 WDW-THRESH:12 BW-OUT:10000000bps BW-IN:15000000bps STATSDEVICE:test247 STATS:Enabled (4447794/0) <IN OUT> 25 name:xyz160 addr:203.45.233.160/255.255.255.224 STATSDEVICE:test160... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb245
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Awk/shell question to parse hour minute from text

Hi, I have a quick question on parsing the hour/minute and value from a text file and remove the seconds portion. For example in the below text file: 20:26:01 95.83 20:27:01 96.06 20:28:01 95.99 20:29:01 7.11 20:30:01 5.16 20:31:01 8.27 20:32:02 9.79 20:33:01 11.27 20:34:01 7.83... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishrao
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse file and display result based on text

I am trying using awk to open an input file and check a column 2/field $2 and if there is a warning then that is displayed (variantchecker): G not found at position 459, found A instead. The attached Sample1.txt is that file. If in that column/field there is a black space, then the text after... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed? rows text to co

Hello Friends! I would like to help the masters ... I have a file with the entry below and would like a script for that output: Input file: 001 1 01-20152142711532-24S 1637909825/05/2015BAHIA SERVICOS R F, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: He2
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse field and include the text of 1 pipe in field 4

I am trying to parse the input in awk to include the |gc= in $4 but am not able to. The below is close: awk so far: awk '{sub(/\|]+]++/, ""); print }' input.txt Input chr1 955543 955763 AGRN-6|pr=2|gc=75 0 + chr1 957571 957852 AGRN-7|pr=3|gc=61.2 0 + chr1 970621 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
elf_strptr(3E)															    elf_strptr(3E)

NAME
elf_strptr - make a string pointer SYNOPSIS
[flag... ] file... [library] ... DESCRIPTION
This function converts a string section offset to a string pointer. elf identifies the file in which the string section resides, and sec- tion gives the section table index for the strings. normally returns a pointer to a string, but it returns a null pointer when elf is null, section is invalid or is not a section of type the section data cannot be obtained, offset is invalid, or an error occurs. EXAMPLES
A prototype for retrieving section names appears below. The file header specifies the section name string table in the member. The fol- lowing code loops through the sections, printing their names. if ((ehdr = elf32_getehdr(elf)) == 0) { /* handle the error */ return; } ndx = ehdr->e_shstrndx; scn = 0; while ((scn = elf_nextscn(elf, scn)) != 0) { char *name = 0; if ((shdr = elf32_getshdr(scn)) != 0) name = elf_strptr(elf, ndx, (size_t)shdr->sh_name); printf("'%s' ", name? name: "(null)"); } Note A program may call to retrieve an entire string table section. For some applications, that would be both more efficient and more conve- nient than using SEE ALSO
elf(3E), elf_getdata(3E), elf_getshdr(3E), elf_xlate(3E). elf_strptr(3E)