Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users What's a high load for my system? Post 302449434 by Corona688 on Monday 30th of August 2010 02:42:14 PM
Old 08-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard
So the i7 in my desktop should, in theory, be ok with a load under 8. It has 4 cores with hyper threading.
Hyperthreading isn't multitasking. The effect, in an OS equipped to handle hyperthreading, is about a 30% performance improvement over a non-hyperthreading core. That it appears as two "virtual" cores is a side-effect, you don't really have eight cores.

So, four cores, four simultaneous processes.
Quote:
Are you saying the x3110 only runs 2 processes at a time?
Two cores, two simultaneous processes.

These CPU's could be fine with a great deal more processes than that depending on speed requirements etc. They will just have to start time-sharing in order to run them all.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Application high CPU load

after a long period of running, the network application's CPU load in our syst em increase slowly, the failed at the end. we use "truss" tool to trace the process, found that it processes something like "semop" ,"semctl","thread_waitlock","kread" kernel call . The trace log file looks like the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun: High kernel usage & very high load averages

Hi, I am seeing very high kernel usage and very high load averages on my system (Although we are not loading much data to our database). Here is the output of top...does anyone know what i should be looking at? Thanks, Lorraine last pid: 13144; load averages: 22.32, 19.81, 16.78 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorrainenineill
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

HIgh Load

Hi All. In my production server the load is very high. normally it used to be less than 1,but now it is more than 5. I am new to unix all together. I want to know what is the reason behind high load. and if it is high what is the impact? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoti
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining cause behind high load average

How to determine what is causing high load average in a system? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

High availability/Load balancing

Hi folks, (Sorry I don't know what its technology is termed exactly. High Availability OR load balancing) What I'm going to explore is as follows:- For example, on Physical Servers; Server-1 - LAMP, a working server Server-2 - LAMP, for redundancy While Server-1 is working all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

apache high cpu load on high traffic

i have a Intel Quad Core Xeon X3440 (4 x 2.53GHz, 8MB Cache, Hyper Threaded) with 16gig and 1tb harddrive with a 1gb port and my apache is causing my cpu to go up to 100% on all four cores heres my http.config <IfModule prefork.c> StartServers 10 MinSpareServers 10 MaxSpareServers 15... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awww
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

High load average troubleshoot

Hi all, hope you can help me. I'm getting high load average and can't find a reason for this, please share your inputs. load average: 7.78, 7.50, 7.31 Tasks: 330 total, 1 running, 329 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu0 : 7.0%us, 1.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 23.9%id, 0.0%wa, 38.9%hi,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erick_tuk
4 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

SNMP responses failing under high system load

Greetings, I've got a Zenoss v2.5 server monitoring a large video encoding farm. Needless to say, these systems are under high bandwidth and CPU utilization the majority of the time. What I'm running into is that, occasionally, these systems will fail to respond to a standard SNMP request,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Karunamon
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log files @ high load

Hi, my VPS was overloaded and inaccessible for some time and i want to ask for help in which log files i need to look, or which tools to setup to monitor and find the cause of repeated hig load? watched: /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/httpd/access_log /var/log/httpd/error_log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies
MYSQL_TZINFO_TO_S(1)					       MySQL Database System					      MYSQL_TZINFO_TO_S(1)

NAME
mysql_tzinfo_to_sql - load the time zone tables SYNOPSIS
mysql_tzinfo_to_sql arguments DESCRIPTION
The mysql_tzinfo_to_sql program loads the time zone tables in the mysql database. It is used on systems that have a zoneinfo database (the set of files describing time zones). Examples of such systems are Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and Mac OS X. One likely location for these files is the /usr/share/zoneinfo directory (/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo on Solaris). If your system does not have a zoneinfo database, you can use the downloadable package described in Section 10.6, "MySQL Server Time Zone Support". mysql_tzinfo_to_sql can be invoked several ways: shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql tz_dir shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql tz_file tz_name shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql --leap tz_file For the first invocation syntax, pass the zoneinfo directory path name to mysql_tzinfo_to_sql and send the output into the mysql program. For example: shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root mysql mysql_tzinfo_to_sql reads your system's time zone files and generates SQL statements from them. mysql processes those statements to load the time zone tables. The second syntax causes mysql_tzinfo_to_sql to load a single time zone file tz_file that corresponds to a time zone name tz_name: shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql tz_file tz_name | mysql -u root mysql If your time zone needs to account for leap seconds, invoke mysql_tzinfo_to_sql using the third syntax, which initializes the leap second information. tz_file is the name of your time zone file: shell> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql --leap tz_file | mysql -u root mysql After running mysql_tzinfo_to_sql, it is best to restart the server so that it does not continue to use any previously cached time zone data. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997, 2014, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Oracle Corporation (http://dev.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.5 01/30/2014 MYSQL_TZINFO_TO_S(1)