Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: editing crontab help
Operating Systems Linux Fedora editing crontab help Post 302449414 by randerson21 on Monday 30th of August 2010 01:37:42 PM
Old 08-30-2010
editing crontab help

I'm using fedora 5 and sql 5.0. I'm trying to edit the crontab to perform automatic backups of my database. For some reason it isn't working. Here is what I have so far.

15 2 * * * /usr/bin/mysqldump -opt -all-databases u root -ppassword -h localhost /home/ruth/backup/alldb_`date`+%m-%d-%Y``.sql

Can anyone explain to me why this isn't working. I've looked in the crontab logs but it doesn't show anything.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing Crontab

Hi I am not able to edit crontab. Following is the comand that is being issued $crontab -e 2764 ............ This is what I am able to see But when I do $crontab -l List of all the crontab entry is displayed. Also I am seeing one entry in my /etc/cron.d prw------- 1 root ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in file editing:-

I have 2 files:- file1 and file2 file1 SEED RPTT TST8 file2 SEED:db1:Y RPTT:db2:Y SED8:db2:N TST8:db:Y TRN8:db:N CNV8:db:Y TEST:db:Y I have to change third field of file2 to "y" for every entry in file1 matches first filed of file 2 and rest to N (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: okreporthai
2 Replies

3. Solaris

editing crontab with vim and using .vimrc

Hi since we migrated from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 I do miss a nice feature when editing crontab with vim editor: no more color highlighting after starting to edit. Well there is a hack, see below. I did define: export EDITOR='vim -c ":source /export/home/duc904/.vimrc"' Under Sol8 when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duc904
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing a cron file with crontab

I want to set up a file with crontab to run the cron deamon so I can use at to schedule jobs. I think the crontab file (or whatever you call it) has to be set up. Currently, I don't have a crontab file (I checked by typing sudo crontab -u myusername -l), and I don't know the syntax for creating... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing crontab of non-root user from file

Hi All, Ref: "build crontab from a text file" in same forum. (I am not allowed to post URL's in the first post) We are reorganizing our UNIX Crontab file by first making changes in a word pad text file. The intent is to then copy it back to Crontab. Will this work? Copy and Paste does not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivedhitha
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing crontab via ksh

Hi all, I am trying the following I am hoping that the crontab would be changed. but it prints the previous crontab and says Can anyone tell me the correct ksh command that should be used here? I don't want to edit the crontab with crontab -e, I need to edit it via ksh. Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaba
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in editing a file

I have a file which has 10 million records in it. When am trying to edit the file with vi, the following error occurs: ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ "file1" Value too large for defined data type Is there any way that I can edit this file without using vi? Any help would be really appreciated.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help regarding String editing

Hi Geeks I am working on trimming the logs and extracting the XMLs from it. I am facing one problem here. My XML String is ending with ...........Request></Body></Envelope>S/R sometimes there is more then just S/R in the end. I want to delete anything comes after </Envelope>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: santy00110011
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Crontab editing issue

Hi, OS - SunOS I gave crontab -e then it returns zero. $ crontab -e 0 ? ? Crontab status - $ ps -ef | grep cron root 2481 1 0 May 12 ? 0:18 /usr/sbin/cron Please help (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert vi editing to text editing

Dear Guru's I'm using Putty and want to edit a file. I know we generally use vi editor to do it. As I'm not good in using vi editor, I want to convert the vi into something like text pad. Is there any option in Putty to do the same ? Thanks for your response. Srini (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
6 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron) SYNOPSIS
cron DESCRIPTION
Cron should be started from /etc/rc or /etc/rc.local. It will return immediately, so you don't need to start it with '&'. Cron searches /var/spool/cron for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd; crontabs found are loaded into memory. Cron also searches for /etc/crontab and the files in the /etc/cron.d/ directory, which are in a different format (see crontab(5)). Cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When execut- ing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified. Note that the Crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 20 December 1993 CRON(8)