Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Background Process Completion Post 302449403 by Prodiga1 on Monday 30th of August 2010 01:12:50 PM
Old 08-30-2010
brilliant! i am using bash so disown works perfectly.

Under the assumption I wasn't using bash, how would this be accomplished?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

Hello, This has probably been answered in other forms, however I would like to confirm this statement before I use it in production. Will this syntax work for a background process? echo "nohup server_process1 >/dir1/nohup.server_process1 2>&1 &" | ksh Please advise. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to check process completion

Hi, OS - Unix Iam doing the following: after login to the unix box 1. change directory 2. run a shell script "preinstall.sh" 3. This takes apprx 5 mins 4. after which i use to change permission of a file "installhub.sh" (this file is generated from the previous step). Is there anyway... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Process.

How to create a backgrond processes ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Challenging task : script for mailing process completion timing report to users.

Hi all, This is my first post. I am new to unix scripting. My requirement is as follows : We are using a financial backoffice application. Now at the end of day we have send users a status report stating all timings of EOD processes for all countries. I need timings for following... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammbhhar
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to determine the completion of a background process to trigger something else?

I've been thinking about a peculiar problem, and so far haven't been able to find out a convincing solution to that. To put it simply, I have a shell script (assume it to be parent_script.sh), calling another shell script (child_script.sh) 5 times, in nohup mode to be executed in the background.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aviktheory11
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue with tracking successful completion of Child process running in background

Hello All, I am using Linux. I have two scripts: inner_script.ksh main_wrapper_calling_inner.ksh Below is the code snippet of the main_wrapper_calling_inner.ksh: #!/bin/ksh ppids=() ---> Main array for process ids. fppids=() ---> array to capture failed process ids. pcnt=0 --->... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmukherjee
5 Replies
updatedb.conf(5)						File Formats Manual						  updatedb.conf(5)

NAME
/etc/updatedb.conf - a configuration file for updatedb(8) DESCRIPTION
/etc/updatedb.conf is a text file. Blank lines are ignored. A # character outside of a quoted string starts a comment extending until end of line. Other lines must be of the following form: VARIABLE = "VALUE" White space between tokens is ignored. VARIABLE is an alphanumeric string which does not start with a digit. VALUE can contain any char- acter except for ". No escape mechanism is supported within VALUE and there is no way to write VALUE spanning more than one line. Unknown VARIABLE values are considered an error. The defined variables are: PRUNEFS A whitespace-separated list of file system types (as used in /etc/mtab) which should not be scanned by updatedb(8). The file system type matching is case-insensitive. By default, no file system types are skipped. When scanning a file system is skipped, all file systems mounted in the subtree are skipped too, even if their type does not match any entry in PRUNEFS. PRUNENAMES A whitespace-separated list of directory names (without paths) which should not be scanned by updatedb(8). By default, no directory names are skipped. Note that only directories can be specified, and no pattern mechanism (e.g. globbing) is used. PRUNEPATHS A whitespace-separated list of path names of directories which should not be scanned by updatedb(8). Each path name must be exactly in the form in which the directory would be reported by locate(1). By default, no paths are skipped. PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS One of the strings 0, no, 1 or yes. If PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS is 1 or yes, bind mounts are not scanned by updatedb(8). All file systems mounted in the subtree of a bind mount are skipped as well, even if they are not bind mounts. As an exception, bind mounts of a directory on itself are not skipped. By default, bind mounts are not skipped. NOTES
When a directory is matched by PRUNEFS, PRUNENAMES or PRUNEPATHS, updatedb(8) does not scan the contents of the directory. The path of the directory itself is, however, entered in the created database. For example, if /tmp is in PRUNEPATHS, locate(1) will not show any files stored in /tmp, but it can show the /tmp directory. This behavior differs from traditional locate implementations. In some updatedb(8) implementations PRUNEPATHS can be used to exclude non-directory files. This is not the case in this implementation. /etc/updatedb.conf is a shell script in some implementations, which allows much more flexibility in defining the variables. Equivalent functionality can be achieved by using the command-line options to updatedb(8). AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com> SEE ALSO
locate(1), updatedb(8) mlocate Jun 2008 updatedb.conf(5)