Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing Special Character from File. Post 302448991 by pinnacle on Friday 27th of August 2010 06:11:16 PM
Old 08-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartus11
Use "dos2unix" on that file.
Tried:
Code:
$ dos2unix file

ksh: dos2unix: not found

Also Tried:
Code:
sed 's/^M//g' file> file1

The file1 still has the special character ^M

Appreciate reply

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Mount a character special file

Hi together I have 2 systems, mars and venus. The configuration is the same. Every system has a SDLT. I will now backup the datas from mars on the tapedevice from venus. I have shareed the tapedevice (venus) and mounted on mars. Now my problem: when I write on the mountet tapedevice, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MuellerUrs
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a special character in file

hi i want to delete a particular character in file. example file name:abcsample abc=bbbqw3/ hidh=ajjqiwio4/ xyx=hakjp/ ........../ ......./ i want to delete that special character (/) in abcsample file.please give the required commands for my requirement. thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a special character in file

hi i want to delete a particular character in file. example file name:abcsample abc=bbbqw3/ hidh=ajjqiwio4/ xyx=hakjp/ ........../ ......./ i want to delete that special character (/) in abcsample file Permnently.please give the required commands for my requirement. required... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Special character in my file

I have a special character in my file. It displays as a '#' sign but when I do this command I do not find the line. fgrep 'G#ant' file1 I want to replace the special character with another value but I need to know what character it really is. Any ideas on how to replace this '#' value with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters in file

I have file special.txt with the following data. <header info> 123$ty5%98&0asd 1@356fgbv78 09*&^5jkns43( ...........some more rows. In my output file, I want to eliminate all the special characters in my file and I want all other data. need some help. (6 Replies)
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse a file for a special character

hello, How to parse a file to see if a specific line is commented by '#' character? filename: file1 cat file1 ... # /usr/bin/whatever ... thank you (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
9 Replies

7. Red Hat

Special character ^@ in CSV file

All, I am having a tough time with Linux and CSV file. My CSV file gets generated from Cognos on Linux machine that contains special characters. At first instance when I do vi <filename> to that file, I can't see anything. I did tail -2 and redirected to another temp file and did vi <filename>,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: donadarsh
2 Replies

8. Linux

File conversion and removing special characters from a file in Linux

I have a .CSV file when I check for the special characters in the file using the command cat -vet filename.csv, i get very lengthy lines with "^@", "^I^@" and "^@^M" characters in between each alphabet in all of the records. Using the code below file filename.csv I get the output as I have a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing special chars from file and maintain field separator

Running SunOs 5.6. Solaris. I've been able to remove all special characters from a fixed length file which appear in the first column but as a result all subsequent columns have shifted to the left by the amount of characters deleted. It is a space separated file. Line 1 in input file is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iffy290
6 Replies
mknod(1M)																 mknod(1M)

NAME
mknod - create special files SYNOPSIS
name major minor name major minor name DESCRIPTION
The command creates the following types of files: o Character device special file (first form), o Block device special file (second form), o FIFO file, sometimes called a named pipe (third form). name is the path name of the file to be created. The newly created file has a default mode that is readable and writable by all users(0666), but the mode is modified by the current setting of the user's file mode creation mask (see umask(1)). Character and Block Special Files Character device special files are used for devices that can transfer single bytes at a time, such as nine-track magnetic tape drives, printers, plotters, disk drives operating in "raw" mode, and terminals. To create a character special file, use the argument. Block device special files are used for devices that usually transfer a block of data at a time, such as disk drives. To create a block device special file, use the argument. The remaining arguments specify the device that will be accessible through the new special file: major The major number specifies the major device type (for example, the device driver number). minor The minor number specifies the device location, which is typically, but not always, the unit, drive, and/or line number. The major and minor values can each be specified in hexadecimal, octal, or decimal, using C language conventions (decimal: no leading zero; octal: leading zero; hexadecimal: leading The assignment of major and minor device numbers is specific to each HP-UX system. Refer to the System Administrator manuals supplied with your system for details. Only users who have appropriate privileges can use to create a character or block device special file. FIFO files To create a FIFO (named pipe or buffer) file, use the argument. You can also use the command for this purpose (see mkfifo(1)). All users can use to create FIFO files. WARNINGS
Access Control Lists In HFS file systems, optional ACL entries can be added to special files and FIFOs with the command (see chacl(1)). In JFS file systems, optional ACL entries can be added to special files and FIFOs with the command (see setacl(1)). However, system programs are likely to silently change or eliminate the optional ACL entries for these files. SEE ALSO
chacl(1), mkdir(1), mkfifo(1), setacl(1), umask(1), lsdev(1M), sam(1M), mknod(2), acl(5), aclv(5), mknod(5). HP-UX System Administrator manuals STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mknod: SVID2, SVID3, XPG2 mknod(1M)