Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to expand who command?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to expand who command? Post 302448952 by guitarscn on Friday 27th of August 2010 02:52:56 PM
Old 08-27-2010
I am on FreeBSD so -w is not an option for who, but with 'who -TH' the hostname still gets cut off at the end

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Terminal Expand

hi guys. i have written a script/program and i would strongly prefer if this script automatically expands the user's terminal whenever he or she starts the script. this is so the script/program can fit on the user's screeen without user having to manually drag and spread his screen. what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

expand logic for > and <

Hi Input A12345678901234567890 < A12345678901234567890 AND C12345678901234567890 < D12345678901234567890 AND E12345678901234567890 > F12345678901234567890 If the length of the line at any point exceed more than 60 chars it should come to next line but it should not break a variable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using expand on multiple files

I want to convert all leading tabs to spaces in all PHP files in a certain folder, recursively. I have successfully used "expand" to do this on one file at a time by doing something like this: expand -i file.php > file.php How would I convert all leading tabs to spaces in all PHP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattalexx
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Expand ufs Filesystems

Hi All, I need to expand a number of Filesystems on a Sun machine running Solaris 10 OS. But first I am confused; 1. Is it possible to expand a ufs filesystem such as /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 (that is not managed by SVM) without lossing existing data? 2. Is it possible to have such a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atogunde
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

expand and uuencode...

I have a log file that looks fine when you view it in Unix but when I send it as an attachment to myself it looses its formatting... so I am using "expand" to replace the tabs with spaces and the format looks good. The code below works great but I was wondering if there was a way to do this without... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethcoop
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to expand the same word?

Hi All, May I know how to expand the words? e.g: a aa aaa aaaa I have try to use for (i=0;i<5;i++) do c="a" echo -n $c done but the output is aaaaa. Is it need to use array?:confused: Thanks for your help! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
5 Replies

7. AIX

Expand LUN

Hello all, I have the following env: * DS4300 storage SAN * AIX 5.3 Lpar (storage through vio server) * AIX 5.3 Server Some FS are too small do I'm setting up a process to increase the size of the FS. To expand the size of the FS I plan to do the following for the physical AIX server,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petervg
1 Replies

8. AIX

Expand LV

Under the df command, one of my logical volumes, /dev/hd4, was showing 100% Used, so I added 2 logical partitions, but its still showing 100% used. Is there a separate command I need to execute to reallocate? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to expand three LVMs?

Hello All, It goes like this.. I have increased the data hard drive of server by 100GB and rebooted the server. I want to expand each of the LVM's by 30GB each .There are totally three LVMS to be expanded.Any help on complete commands that needs to be followed?Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
4 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- select portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility selects portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file argu- ments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a num- ber, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the first number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, over- lapping, and in any order. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use the first character of delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, delimited in the input by a single tab character. Output fields are separated by a single tab character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut if the -n option is specified. Their effect is described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 DIAGNOSTICS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BUGS
The -c option is a synonym for the -b option, which causes incorrect behaviour in locales that support multibyte characters. When operating on fields (-f option is specified), cut does not recognise multibyte characters, and the delim character is recognised in the middle of multibyte sequences. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD