Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unable to preserve hard links. Why? Post 302448911 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of August 2010 11:36:42 AM
Old 08-27-2010
We only know as much as you tell us, and a makefile without the files it works on is not a lot. A silly makefile doesn't tell me a thing about your file layout, I still don't know after asking three times if you ever fixed your use of tar, in fact the most I've gotten from you -- beyond abuse -- is one ls readout of only a quarter of the files I asked for. A real listing of all the hardlinked input (and output) files could have been helpful(and would still be), but you treat it like an RTFM.
Quote:
It seems I've found it!

CD-record mailing list
If you're trying to create an ISO with rock-ridge hard links, yes, that is a problem. Is the input truly Rock Ridge? Usually on livecd's I see compressed filesystems done as cramfs and the like.

Preserving hard links doesn't seem to matter to me when creating a read-only filesystem. The permissions, contents, and owners are still all as they should be, and nothing will ever be able to change it.

Last edited by Corona688; 08-27-2010 at 12:50 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

links: (soft, hard? symbolic??) inode

Hi, what is link? and soft link? how about hard one and symbolic link. and inode. i get confuse about this links. could anyone help me with full explainsion? thks Gusla (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

links.... soft or hard.. not sure?

hi, i am in a directory, have 2 files as below then do a ls -l gives the below lrwxrwxrwx 1 root system 23 Mar 08 2001 filea -> /adir/filea lrwxrwxrwx 1 root system 23 Mar 08 2001 filea -> /adir/fileb now, when i do a cd /adir, the system said, adir not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hard links in unix

hi i have a hardlink how can i find the source of it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpriyank
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Symbolic and/or Hard links

From what I understand a symbolic link is alot like a shortcut where it points to another file. if the original file is deleted the symbolic link is rendered useless but a symbolic link can be deleted without any problem. A hard link is like a copy of the file itself but pointing to the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hard links for directories.

Hard links for directories are not permitted by default. But in some flavor of Unix, super user can create hard links for directories by some other way? Is that true? Is it possible in latest version of BSD or other unix? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hard Links Help

Ksh newbie here, so please bear with me. I'm currently writing a script that searches through a directory and displays files with multiple hard links. The way I have it set up, is that it displays the i-node number and then each of the link names. In addition to this, I need to know if there... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unknown50862
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

8. AIX

List all the soft links and hard links

Hi I'm logged in as root in an aix box Which command will list all the soft links and hard links present in the server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple example for soft and hard links

Hai, give me a simple example for soft and hard links. this will work for soft link ?? ln -s (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh M
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timestamp change for hard and soft links

Hi team, i am writing a purge script to delete softlinks and hardlinks on linux system which are 3/10/30 days old. To test the script i need to create links with old timestamp, i am able to cange timestamp for files but not for links. i tried touch -h option but this option is not available on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies
BUILD-JAR-REPOSITORY(1) 					   User Commands					   BUILD-JAR-REPOSITORY(1)

NAME
build-jar-repository - create a symbolic link to a JAR SYNOPSIS
build-jar-repository [OPTION]... DIRECTORY... JAR DESCRIPTION
Build a JAR repository in the named directory by copying files or creating symbolic links OPTIONS
If no option is specified the default action will be to create symbolic links -c, --copy copy files -h, --hard create hard links -p, --preserve-naming try to preserve the names of the original JAR files (in case of a nested hit the slashes in the path will still be replaced by underscores) using this option makes any future automated repository rebuild impossible, and implies -c unless specified otherwise -s, --soft, --symbolic create symbolic links (default) --help display help text EXAMPLES
build-jar-repository . jndi will create a symbolic link to the JNDI JAR in the current working directory build-jar-repository -h /tmp oro will create a hard link to the ORO JAR in /tmp AUTHOR
Written by Nicholas Mailhot and David Walluck REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs using JPackage Bugzilla (http://www.jpackage.org/bugzilla/) build-jar-repository (jpackage-utils) 1.7.0 March 2006 BUILD-JAR-REPOSITORY(1)