Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with semaphores
Top Forums Programming Problem with semaphores Post 302448907 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of August 2010 11:12:53 AM
Old 08-27-2010
You can tell what line the segmentation fault occurs on by compiling with -ggdb, then running with gdb. i.e.

Code:
gdb
run ./filename
(text informing you the program crashed)
bt f

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Semaphores

Dear Reader, I'm in a multiprocess environment working with shared mem and semaphores as mutex.. The problem is -- If one of the process hooked up with the semaphore and accessing the shared mem, terminates abruptly ( or got killed ), other process which are in want of the semaphore are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joseph_shibu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Semaphores

Hi all, I am using HP 10.20 on A 9000/785. My question is: If I am the only person logged in as root at the moment, how many "semaphore proccesses" should I have?? Is it only one, or it is relevant to other system proccesses? Here is what I get listing the current semaphores # ipcs -sp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guest100
1 Replies

3. Programming

semaphores

Hi there, Could someone please confirm which POSIX semaphore routines should be used for a multiprocess (and not multithreaded) environment? sys/sem.h definitely works. but the routines, semget, semctl, semop are pretty unwieldy. So, I am looking for an easier way out. From the man pages... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qntmteleporter
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

semaphores

Hi Friends, If i execute this command it comes back with 300 lines: ipcs|grep cerebrus >>> i would like to clear the semaphores but ipcrm can remove one id at a time. is there a quicker way of removing semaphores maybe using awk? Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kekanap
1 Replies

5. Programming

semaphores using up and down

been searching around on how to use an up and down function with semaphores but i can't find an example. i looked into using: "semop" but i have no idea how to use it. I have been able to declared the semaphores using semget and initializing them using semctl. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddx08
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How many semaphores?

Hello, first of all I apologize if this thread is not in the correct section of this forum, but this one just seemed the most appropriate. The question I have does not concern Unix specifically, it applies to virtually any OS, however it is in Unix where I learned about this problem. So, the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Watto86
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

semaphores

I am having problem with semaphores. I am trying to protect line where process prints so that every process with print in proper order.This is the code.. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/sem.h> #include <sys/types.h> union... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
3 Replies

8. Programming

Semaphores problem

hallo! if there are many processes running and I initialize the semaphore like this: my_sem = sem_open(SEM_NAME, O_CREAT | O_RDWR, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR, 10); (the last argument is 10) and then i use sem_wait(my_sem); sleep(5); sem_post; Will 10 processes be able to access the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatevernever
0 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Semaphores sem_wait sem_post problem

hallo! if there are many processes running and I initialize the semaphore like this: my_sem = sem_open(SEM_NAME, O_CREAT | O_RDWR, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR, 10); (the last argument is 10) and then i use sem_wait(my_sem); sleep(5); sem_post; Will 10 processes be able to access the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whatevernever
1 Replies
IPCS(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   IPCS(1)

NAME
ipcs -- report System V interprocess communication facilities status SYNOPSIS
ipcs [-abcmopqstMQST] [-C system] [-N core] DESCRIPTION
The ipcs program provides information on System V interprocess communication (IPC) facilities on the system. The options are as follows: -a Show the maximum amount of information possible when displaying active semaphores, message queues, and shared memory segments. (This is shorthand for specifying the -b, -c, -o, -p, and -t options.) -b Show the maximum allowed sizes for active semaphores, message queues, and shared memory segments. The ``maximum allowed size'' is the maximum number of bytes in a message on a message queue, the size of a shared memory segment, or the number of semaphores in a set of semaphores. -c Show the creator's name and group for active semaphores, message queues, and shared memory segments. -m Display information about active shared memory segments. -o Show outstanding usage for active message queues, and shared memory segments. The ``outstanding usage'' is the number of messages in a message queue, or the number of processes attached to a shared memory segment. -p Show the process ID information for active semaphores, message queues, and shared memory segments. The ``process ID information'' is the last process to send a message to or receive a message from a message queue, the process that created a semaphore, or the last process to attach or detach a shared memory segment. -q Display information about active message queues. -s Display information about active semaphores. -t Show access times for active semaphores, message queues, and shared memory segments. The access times is the time of the last con- trol operation on an IPC object, the last send or receive of a message, the last attach or detach of a shared memory segment, or the last operation on a semaphore. -C system Extract the name list from the specified system instead of the default ``/netbsd''. -M Display system information about shared memory. -N core Extract values associated with the name list from the specified core instead of the default ``/dev/kmem''. and semaphores. -Q Display system information about messages queues. -S Display system information about semaphores. -T Display system information about shared memory, message queues and semaphores. (This is shorthand for specifying the -M, -Q, and -S options.) If none of the -M, -m, -Q, -q, -S, -s, or -T options are specified, information about all active IPC facilities is listed. RESTRICTIONS
System data structures may change while ipcs is running; the output of ipcs is not guaranteed to be consistent. FILES
/dev/kmem default kernel memory /netbsd default system name list SEE ALSO
ipcrm(1), shmat(2), shmctl(2), shmdt(2), shmget(2) AUTHORS
Thorsten Lockert <tholo@sigmasoft.com> BUGS
This manual page is woefully incomplete, because it does not at all attempt to explain the information printed by ipcs. BSD
March 21, 2004 BSD