Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script for monitoring users activities Post 302448866 by shahsaifi on Friday 27th of August 2010 08:32:04 AM
Old 08-27-2010
Hi,

Use script command to log shell commands.
e.g.
script -a <path_of_log_file>

thanks,
Shah

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tracking activities of Users using a particular login.

Hi!! Experts, I have a typical scenario here in which several users have access to a particular login .. say "build". None of the users know the passwd for this login. The name of some of the user have been to .rhosts file. The users can connect only by doing a rlogin to this id and then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weblogic monitoring shell script

HI, I'm new in unix. I would like to know if you have a ready script for monitoring the weblogic and managed servers. I want to have a script that checks the weblogic once in a while if it's up and running. if not running, will send an email to me. any idea? please help me. i will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
4 Replies

3. Solaris

restricting users privileges and logging their activities

Hello, I'm administrating new installed cluster that runs Legato Networker and Oracle 9. And I want to restrict the use of root to my self and givr the application and DBA the proper and needed privileges to do their duties without hassle in addition I would like to log users activities. my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh_ksa
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to log into unix box and do a set of activities

Hi all, I want to automate a set of activities i am doing daily.the activities in the order are: 1.loging in to the unix box. 2.sudo su - tsiap, give pwd 3. cd appsrv 4. cd log 5. run the below cmd one by one, if you find any query which has run for more than 5 secs, open the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybersandex
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

script for memory monitoring and sending mail to users in network

I m working on a script which monitors the disk usage and send a mail to the users if it reaches a limit of 90%. hlp me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navdeep5673
2 Replies

6. Linux

Memory monitoring and sending alert mail to users in network using shell script

i m workiing on a shell script which may monitors network memory and send alert to user if it increase a threshold (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: navdeep5673
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for process monitoring

Im having a bit of troble coming up with a script that does this monitors processes to see if they die, if they do die, restart the process and write out to a log file that the process was restarted with the new PID and the date and time the new process was launched. Any suggestions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jspinal
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring Tomcat Service with shell script

Hello Forum, I have prepared script to monitor the tomcat status. Following is the script which will monitor tomcat instance. I need little modifcation in the script. My script will grep for process, the output of grep command will analyze by if condition under for loop and will send... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Monitoring Script

Hi guys, I didn't understand this monitoring script request - I don't ask for the script result. If you understand the request, I'm just asking an explanation to simplify it for me. THE Script Request: Our organization keeps various files in directories structured as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Server monitoring using shell script

I want to write a shell script which is used in cron job and it runs every 4 hours to check whether tomcat servers are running or not . If servers are not running , one email should be triggered like alert notification. if servers are Running then no need to print anything. This is what i want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kk123
5 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)